Best Glue and Epoxy for Contructing Wood Hulls

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, let me make using West Systems easier. There are calibrated pumps available, which I use, for the products that meter out specific amounts as Wests uses either 3:1 or 5:1 ratios depending on which hardener you use. There is no way to make a mistake as to which pump you will use as the cans have different sizes of openings and the pumps are sized to fit the cans they are calibrated for. Using the pumps, I've never had a batch fail due to improper ratios. As for the syringe, you can buy them locally as well. They are sized to take a mix of one shot of hardener to one shot of resin. BTW, you start working on your boat yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
using Mas right now on a build an I feel it's as good as any I've used.. West can get hot pretty fast in a cup... I've had a boiling cup of lava before,.. when using west.. but both are very good..

Anthony, was that with the 205 hardener? I've had that blend cook off in under two minutes so I only use it when I absolutely have to. I normally use the 206 for quicker jobs for that very reason

Agreed with all the brands suggested in all the replies (West, MAS, aeromarine etc). I have also tried Z-poxy and found that it is very good. It is available at my LHS. The 2 hour formula is good for laminating and glassing too.

I like MAS over West.Mas is two to one West is 5 to 1.Mix ratio is simple.Mas sands better when sealing.On the Mas i like the flag for building.Use there regular Resin for sealing its thinner.The flag for sealing the inside of hull its thicker but flows out real nice and smooth.It does add alittle weight but i mostly build Gas hulls.

Thanks Terry. I'll look into those syringes. So the ratio of resin to hardner is not 1 to 1? I am a newby to this so, again, thanks for the patience. HJ, thanks for the clarification on the resin. Didn't realize WS offers only one. I remember seeing your Pak boat at Starbucks a few months back. The epoxy coat caught my eye then. Makes sense now that it would be used for testing only. Thanks :)
Ken, Don't be intimidated by the 5-1 ratio of the West Systems- I never bought the pumps only used the small plastic measuring cups marked in CC's.

Belive I used the 105 resin/206(slow hardener). About 30 minutes of working time. Use bondo spreaders cut into 1,2 and 3" lengths to spread it on the wood very thin. Sand between coats- 3 coats and you;re done- do both inside and outside. Mix chopped glass or microbaloons to thicken the mix to form fillet radiuses inside framework and try to avoid using the Luan mahogony supplied with the Dumas kits,

I have to agree with Glenn for the most part. A small digital kitchen scale works well too for getting the mix right, the pumps just make it simple. Where I would not so much disagree but clarify is with how and when to use the chopped glass and microballoons. Chopped glass or silica make the epoxy stronger and, when included in the mix, can be used as a structural component while the added microballoons CAN ONLY BE USED as a filler for gaps and fillets. I have both microballoons and silica,using both when and where needed. I've found silica is easier to mix into the epoxy than chopped glass and, imho, leaves a smoother finish than the larger glass fibers will.

Ken,

Personally I use West. All I've ever used is the 105/206 mix. I also use the syringes alot. I only use the pumps when I need a full pump's worth of epoxy, as in when I'm sealing or building several boats together. I found some syringes at Tractor Supply for use on farm animals. I use a 10cc (graduated in .2cc) for the resin and a 3cc (graduated in .1cc) for the hardener.

One hint I will give you is to find a clear galss, flat candle holder for a 3" column candle. It works great as a mixing cup. When your building session is done, use isopropyl alcohol and a paper towel to wipe it out and you'll have it the next time no more dixie cups. I've been using mine for about five years, now.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

I know this post is old.

But all my wood hulls are glued with Titebond ll. And I've never had a problem.

Okay, let me make using West Systems easier. There are calibrated pumps available, which I use, for the products that meter out specific amounts as Wests uses either 3:1 or 5:1 ratios depending on which hardener you use. There is no way to make a mistake as to which pump you will use as the cans have different sizes of openings and the pumps are sized to fit the cans they are calibrated for. Using the pumps, I've never had a batch fail due to improper ratios. As for the syringe, you can buy them locally as well. They are sized to take a mix of one shot of hardener to one shot of resin. BTW, you start working on your boat yet?
Weighing beats the pumps hands down,how much are you wasting?

Actually Mike, I waste very little. I normally don't mix up epoxy until I get to the point of having several things that need gluing or coating. My next batch of epoxy will be used on three different boats, two get framing glued and one gets the transom coated. I'll probably have less than 1/4 ounce left in the plastic mixing cup when I'm done. With that little left, I can normally get what's left out of the cup after it cures and reuse the cup two or three times before the cup cracks :eek:

Agreed with all the brands suggested in all the replies (West, MAS, aeromarine etc). I have also tried Z-poxy and found that it is very good. It is available at my LHS. The 2 hour formula is good for laminating and glassing too.
I like mas flag and west sys. also z-poxy but find on nitro the z-poxy tends to yellow and lose strength over time...so i only use z-poxy on electric... it sure sands nice tho!! :D

And then.... I know.. im making a light hearted face in the pic BUT... all you can do at this point is warn others...

PLEASE if you are new to boat building PLEASE use epoxy in a ventilated area.. unless you like to build in a space suit like me...

Also.. if I might.. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM POLYMIDE EPOXY.. i.e. Zpoxy Finishing resin is one of those..

Not only was my fresh air system expensive my allergy to epoxy will only get worse with time.. DO NOT RISK THIS! ITS NOT WORTH IT. DONT THINK IT CAN NOT HAPPEN TO YOU!

Grim

If on a budget, Zpoxy finishing resin does really well,.. doesn't sand quite as well as the others. but you can get at the LHS for $15 or so..

and it' fuel proof on 65%

And then.... I know.. im making a light hearted face in the pic BUT... all you can do at this point is warn others...

PLEASE if you are new to boat building PLEASE use epoxy in a ventilated area.. unless you like to build in a space suit like me...

Also.. if I might.. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM POLYMIDE EPOXY.. i.e. Zpoxy Finishing resin is one of those..

Not only was my fresh air system expensive my allergy to epoxy will only get worse with time.. DO NOT RISK THIS! ITS NOT WORTH IT. DONT THINK IT CAN NOT HAPPEN TO YOU!

Grim
Wow you really have been to the MOON

I am an ASS-ter-not!.........

Be carefull men!.. thats all... you dont want what I HAVE AND IF YOU DO NOT PROTECT YOURSELF.. its just a matter of time..

Grim

I am an ASS-ter-not!.........

Be carefull men!.. thats all... you dont want what I HAVE AND IF YOU DO NOT PROTECT YOURSELF.. its just a matter of time..

Grim
I came out of high school doing automotive body repair.. fiberglass,bondo,primer...no mask... got burned out after 10 yrs breathing that crap... now i am in the woodworking -cabnetry business last 10 yrs..no mask...ugh.. now all of this time and since i was like 9 or 10 yrs old with dad working on planes and boats..all R/C... man there is nothing safe to breath out there..oh to top it off i havent been able to kick these danm ciggs either... wish i had listened years ago to all the people who told me to use a mask.... so all you youngsters,(not that at 46 i'm old...) protect your self!!! listen to grim!!!

Back