Best Friends

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Hobbs

Legend of the NW
Vendor
Over the years the best friends I have ever made came through hobbies and activities other than my job. Last week at the NAMBA Nats proves my experience.

After a day of racing, I was puting all of my equipment and qear into my trailer. I banged my forehead on the trailer door, stepped back to tell the door what I thought of it, lost my footing on the trailer ramp, fell and broke my right hip. Dozens of people were there to help. Renee Piazza, Jim's wife, experienced in emergency care, was right there, asking me the proper questions. Two of the boaters were EMT personnel and they were with me making certain that I did not get moved.

When the ambulance arrived, Sue Hill hopped into the ambulance with me and made sure that all of the paper work at the hospital emergency room was handled properly. Sue stayed with me in the emergency room for more than 4 hours until the hospital decided to keep me.

The next day when I returned from surgery, my room was filled with flowers, cards, boxes of candy and other messages. For the next few days my phone was busy and visitors kept coming to see how I was doing.

My truck and tailer were at Legg Lake, the NAMBA Nats site. Not only did several people make certain that all of my gear, froms boats and radios, to tables and EZ-UPs were loaded properly and locked up. On Sunday, Lenny Blake drove my pickup and trailer all the way from Southern California to Cascade, Montana, to make certain that everything got home safely.

Sue Hill and LeAnne Blake packed up all of my items at the hotel and made sure they got back to my home.

Later, on Sunday morning, Al Waters, NAMBA President stopped by my hospital room to give me a small package everyone had chipped in to buy. It is a crated 30 year old bottle of Glen Fittich, almost impossible to even find.

When the hospital staff found out that I did not live in Southern California, they wondered who all of my visitors were. I told them that there were visiors who lived in Australia, Arizona, Colorado, and other states. One of the staff asked me, "Who are you?" I am a lucky model boater with some very good friends.

I am home now, getting ready to start Physical Therapy. The emails, letters, cards, and phone calls have not stopped.

I am as fine as can be expected. And, I am proud to be a model boater, expecially considering the wonderful people I have met through this hobby over the years.

Thank you all,

Al Hobbs

Over the years the best friends I have ever made came through hobbies and activities other than my job. Last week at the NAMBA Nats proves my experience.

After a day of racing, I was puting all of my equipment and qear into my trailer. I banged my forehead on the trailer door, stepped back to tell the door what I thought of it, lost my footing on the trailer ramp, fell and broke my right hip. Dozens of people were there to help. Renee Piazza, Jim's wife, experienced in emergency care, was right there, asking me the proper questions. Two of the boaters were EMT personnel and they were with me making certain that I did not get moved.

When the ambulance arrived, Sue Hill hopped into the ambulance with me and made sure that all of the paper work at the hospital emergency room was handled properly. Sue stayed with me in the emergency room for more than 4 hours until the hospital decided to keep me.

The next day when I returned from surgery, my room was filled with flowers, cards, boxes of candy and other messages. For the next few days my phone was busy and visitors kept coming to see how I was doing.

My truck and tailer were at Legg Lake, the NAMBA Nats site. Not only did several people make certain that all of my gear, froms boats and radios, to tables and EZ-UPs were loaded properly and locked up. On Sunday, Lenny Blake drove my pickup and trailer all the way from Southern California to Cascade, Montana, to make certain that everything got home safely.

Sue Hill and LeAnne Blake packed up all of my items at the hotel and made sure they got back to my home.

Later, on Sunday morning, Al Waters, NAMBA President stopped by my hospital room to give me a small package everyone had chipped in to buy. It is a crated 30 year old bottle of Glen Fittich, almost impossible to even find.

When the hospital staff found out that I did not live in Southern California, they wondered who all of my visitors were. I told them that there were visiors who lived in Australia, Arizona, Colorado, and other states. One of the staff asked me, "Who are you?" I am a lucky model boater with some very good friends.

I am home now, getting ready to start Physical Therapy. The emails, letters, cards, and phone calls have not stopped.

I am as fine as can be expected. And, I am proud to be a model boater, expecially considering the wonderful people I have met through this hobby over the years.

Thank you all,

Al Hobbs
Get well soon Al OUCH Man when things go bad they go real bad. I sold a trailer and was glad to see it go after banging my head more than I can count

I have found in 21 years of boat racing that fellow boaters are some of the very best and most helpful people anywhere. Just glad you got home and are on the mend. Good excuse to avoid the "honey do list" for a while too. Rough way to earn it however.

hi al, sorry to hear about your mishap. glad to hear you are doing better.have meet some of my long time and life long friend's

thru all the hobbies i have done over the last 30+ years.feel better and be well soon. mike.

Good to hear a few good people still exist! !! my hats off to them.... Afraid of the new crop, not sure they have a chance. ... Get well Al:)

Sorry to here about this. With your aditude I am sure you will good as new in no time.

Bob

Al, sorry to hear about your acident, keep up rehab and we will see you back at the pond soon. I beleive this is acident number three so you should be good for awhile.

Al, only know you here and your contributions to model boat articles, but want to wish you a speedy and full recovery. This is one awesome story about your friends in the model boat racing community, thanks for sharing it!

Wallster

There's nothing like the people you meet at the lake.

Feel better Al,

From the Edge Family

A speedy recovery :) :). R/C Boaters are the greatest. A hand to all those that helped

Bob

Wishing a speedy recovery to you Al, one of the true gentleman and ambassadors of this hobby/sport!

Steve Ball

Al,

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery.

And I agree with you 100% Al, R/C boaters are

some of the BEST PEOPLE in the world.

Happy Healing,

Mark Sholund

Sorry to hear about your mishap at the NAMBA Nats. I hope that your recovery and therapy goes well. Your accident not withstanding, good things happen to good people. We could all probably tell a few stories about our fellow model boaters helping us out but yours certainly sticks out. Thanks for sharing this with us and thanks for all that you do and have done for our hobby. Get well soon!

Dick Tyndall

Best wishes for a speedy full recovery Al . My trailer is tall but not tall enough so I slide a small pool noodle up on the door opening to keep me from knocking myself out !!

Hi Al,

Just read your posting. Sorry to hear of your accident. Geting a bit accident prone aren't we, & it seems to involve the head.

Anyway get well soon.

Best regards

Grahame

+ all the gang in the UK.

Read of your mishap and am glad to hear your in recovery..Hope it a speedy one Al..

Get well soon Al.I think as we get older dumb things start happening. Gettin old ain't for sissies. I know you will be up and about in no time. Take care.

Ken Webb

Thank you all,

Al Hobbs
Al do the rehab, it is really important . Get well soon Doc

Back