Balencing props, Has anyone noticed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitrotoys

That Octura props are very much out of balence?

I bought 3 of them, 2 were X440s and 1 was X442.

They all took alot of filing on one blade.

I also got a ABC prop, put on the balencer and was **** near perfect balence.

I Bought 2 Pranthers S215 and B215, They werent that out of balence. Kinda shows who puts more time into making there molds right. Dont think I will be buying anymore Octuras anymore.

Has anyone else come across this with the Octuras?

Yeah! I have noticed that on some octuras the manufacturing is a little sloppy. It does depend on your application, though. Sometimes you just need to bare the pain of getting the balance correct to meet the characteristics of your boat.

Good luck, Hammer

I havent, but the older a set of molds gets, the more out of whack it becomes. or...

they might have hired a new guy who doesnt care about quality control in the workplace and neglects to clean the molds after a designated number of castings... im not sure what steel is used for the molds in the manufacturing process, but if any amount of oxidation from molten metal accumilates on the mold, that means less bronze/beryllium in the mold... and a poorly made product...

could be any number of reasons... besides, beryllium is bad for you if you inhale the grindings... buy stainless...

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/phs4.html

i did get a set of stainless prather 270's and after a little (3.5 hours) filing and polishing, one of them is heavy on the hub... both blades are balanced, but on the balancer it keeps stopping with both trailing edges horizontal... i think its heavy on the hub, please, someone let me know before i hack away at it to the point where i have to mail-order another prop.... and i HATE waiting for the mailman...

Shnick

Octura props are never balanced straight out of the bag. Nor for the most parts are both blades equal. I stopped doing what Schnick did for (3.5 hours) I found it easier to pony up the $35-$50 bucks for B/S props from Brian at Rocket City Racing. Only bummer is the last prop I bought like that wasn't balanced and I had to re-do it.

Shnick

Your Prather has the hole slightly offset from the true centre of the blades. You may be able to correct it by grinding some of the hub, but dont take too much off in case you weaken it too much. You may need to take material off both blades to balance it tho. That is take material from the portion of the blade that is closest to the heavier side, ie the trailing edge of one blade and the leading edge of the other. It is a real pain when you get props like that.

Casting quality aside, Octura's seem to suffer from variance in both the hole position and straightness. I have had prop where I can see that the hole is off to one side of the hub, or it goes thru the hub crooked. But most of them are pretty good, and I still use a lot of Octura props, even if they are more work. This is because the design of the prop is often more important than the finish out of the bag!

Ian.

Octura X642 is a shocker to balance - ends up very thin on 1 blade.

ABC H49 is the worst one I've ever seen out of the packet.

Propjockey, what or who is J&G?

Steven Vaccaro

www.OffshoreElectrics.com

http://www.OffshoreElectrics.com

offshoreelectrics_anim.gif

They were marketed by Dumas Products, Inc. to be included in some of their hardware kits.

Back