B sport tunnel rule change

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We run under Namba rules down here in District 3, yet nobody runs a stock motor. I guess it's only enforced at the bigger races.
Wow.....wow. I don't really know what to make of that. Perhaps not to take my VisionCraft to FL!!!
default_biggrin.png

Joey why wouldnt you bring your boat to Florida best place to run O/B and yes Shawn i ran stock for a long time and yes it was a O/S your also right they only inspect at the national races District races no time

The B Sport Tunnel rule change that proposed at the IMPBA board meeting in Evansville Indiana, has been accepted by the board. It will now go out to the membership to be voted on. Please vote yes on this. If you are wondering what my proposal was about, I will explain it. Basically it is to allow the interchange of parts on the same size outboard from the same manufacturer . A good example would be replacing the muffler on the water cooled OS 21 with the one from the air cooled one.

This would also make it legal to run a NAMBA legal A stock tunnel in the IMPBA B

Sport Tunnel class
Thank you, bob.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry guys but I'm trying to get back into boating and I have a bunch of K&B 3.5 with nitro pipes. I can't compete by putting my engines on a stock lower unit against any newer engine that has a pipe. Not understanding the rule change I'll ask someone that knows more about it than I do. I would really like to run my old boats and motors to go racing again. As a new boater today I'm still trying to figure out what I want to buy new and even then it seems like everyone is modifying the motor. Stock against stock is ok if that is the case. I don't see that happening where I race. I vote to change it and make it better for all the 3.5 boaters. My $.02 ps: yrs ago people put so many different parts together to make a stock engine. Guys it was crazy with all the parts being used. If you change the head clearence are you still running stock? No the head has been modified. Come on guys make it simpier and better. Then you will see the class grow again.

Bruce.. no matter what parts you stick together your K+B will be only "good" on the muffler.

Bottom line... Having said this.. CHANGE in this area just is not needed. The class is strong now..

Grim

Joey why wouldnt you bring your boat to Florida best place to run O/B and yes Shawn i ran stock for a long time and yes it was a O/S your also right they only inspect at the national races District races no time
Robert,

I was joking with that comment
default_smile.png

No matter what happens with the rule change, I'll run it. Heck, I'm really too new to know any better, one way or another. Cheers...

-Joey

The good guy's will always be the good guy's no matter what the rules are. Set up and prop are key!
Totally agree, besides, why do people have to win at all costs? Who cares, its all about having fun and enjoying the hobby. If you feel you need to send your powerhead to an engine builder so you can have an advantage, then, go ahead. That just means your the type who wants to win at all costs. In Namba we have a stock class that works very well, we have awesome racing at every level. Its the people who spend the time to get their set up working well and use good driving techniques that do well. For me its all about having a great race, driving well and having fun with other racers out on the race course. Its especially fun when most or all of the boats are generally the same speed, I get goosebumps in those situations knowing that you are in for a great race, no matter where you finish.

Speed does not make you win. As said above winning is a combination of good driving, good setup, PROP, a good pit man, and good equipment. However, everyone that has raced anything knows that money buys speed. The Hendrick cars in NASCAR are all the fastest and win because of his deep pockets. The Al-Anabi Top Fuel cars are funded by the oil rich pockets of Sheik Khalid of QATAR who has unlimited funds. His dragsters are always on top of the class. Most East Coast RC boat racers know that Ron Shaw's RC boats are fast and win a good bit, and they also know that he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. His secret to speed is that his deep pockets buy all of his speed secrets and equipment from John Otto in Flordia. Not many people know that fact but it is true. John told me so and the Atwell brothers confirmed the fact! So dollars do equate to speed for sure, Shaw is living proof!

I feel what Bob is doing is more to make it easier to keep some motors competing rather than having to buy the latest model complete. In all the Internats and "national" races I have been to in the last few years I have never seen a complete teardown or even bore & stroke measured. Florida pretty much by mutual agreement runs IMPBA rules in a Namba district. Eliminating chicken crap protests for things that only create hard feelings and spill over here, yet have no real bearing on a racing advantage is a plus in my mind. Post race inspections just are not a reality as the few who do all the work barely have time to add up scores and hand out awards now. A true "stock" class with no mandatory inspection at every event? Visual on carb & pipe makes it simple. The B/sport class is alive and well and not going to be affected with these changes.

We have run a 40 outboard can muffler class here in the SE for some time and many have tried various combinations of "high dollar" motors, yet the old K&B's are as fast as any. The can muffler is the restrictor and levels the field. Over the years I find paying attention to worn bearings all the way down to the PTO and proper head clearance beat most carved up motors that are not reliable. Whether your do it or pay to have it done, attention to detail, props and setup time win races.

We all want to "win" and some are just better at it than others. I'll quit the day we stop keeping score and hand out participation ribbons. Loosing happens to all but one and your choice is to "pout" or learn why and accept your limitations and do your homework. Or just have fun in the chase.

Mic

Mike

There are only two motors currently available, the OS air cooled and the Thunder Tiger. You work for a large corporation that can effect the motors that make it into this country for racers to buy. I know that the majority of what "you" sell is sold to "non racers" so your interest is to help them

Mic

This is 50% of the reason for the proposal. We need to find a way to get some of those "retired" boaters back to the pond as well as a good variety of motor choices for the new guys. It is still possible to win with a K&B. Just a note, I have tried every brand of 7.5 outboard on my SAW boat, and the K&B has been the fastest @ 74.99mph so far. I am working on a new boat. My goal is 100 mph. By the way, the majority over my records were set with stock motors . I have mixed and matched parts and the peformance gain was minimal.

I feel what Bob is doing is more to make it easier to keep some motors competing rather than having to buy the latest model complete. In all the Internats and "national" races I have been to in the last few years I have never seen a complete teardown or even bore & stroke measured. Florida pretty much by mutual agreement runs IMPBA rules in a Namba district. Eliminating chicken crap protests for things that only create hard feelings and spill over here, yet have no real bearing on a racing advantage is a plus in my mind. Post race inspections just are not a reality as the few who do all the work barely have time to add up scores and hand out awards now. A true "stock" class with no mandatory inspection at every event? Visual on carb & pipe makes it simple. The B/sport class is alive and well and not going to be affected with these changes.

We have run a 40 outboard can muffler class here in the SE for some time and many have tried various combinations of "high dollar" motors, yet the old K&B's are as fast as any. The can muffler is the restrictor and levels the field. Over the years I find paying attention to worn bearings all the way down to the PTO and proper head clearance beat most carved up motors that are not reliable. Whether your do it or pay to have it done, attention to detail, props and setup time win races.

We all want to "win" and some are just better at it than others. I'll quit the day we stop keeping score and hand out participation ribbons. Loosing happens to all but one and your choice is to "pout" or learn why and accept your limitations and do your homework. Or just have fun in the chase.

Mic

James

Coming from a hoarder like yourself, I can see your point. I don't look forward to the day when only you and Ron Shaw have any motors to run. When you have paid your dues,then you can intimidate racers to do things your way. You could volunteer to serve on the IMPBA board and help promote our hobby!

Not sure why we want or need to screw around with a good thing. I see a ton of participation in the B Stock class and no shortage of entries. Why do we need cobbeled up engines. If you want to change the rule, change it so nothing but stock engines can be run so driving determines the outcome. If you want to run a Frankenstein enegine, run B Mod Tunnel. Thats my two cents. Vote NO!

Speed does not make you win. As said above winning is a combination of good driving, good setup, PROP, a good pit man, and good equipment. However, everyone that has raced anything knows that money buys speed. The Hendrick cars in NASCAR are all the fastest and win because of his deep pockets. The Al-Anabi Top Fuel cars are funded by the oil rich pockets of Sheik Khalid of QATAR who has unlimited funds. His dragsters are always on top of the class. Most East Coast RC boat racers know that Ron Shaw's RC boats are fast and win a good bit, and they also know that he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. His secret to speed is that his deep pockets buy all of his speed secrets and equipment from John Otto in Flordia. Not many people know that fact but it is true. John told me so and the Atwell brothers confirmed the fact! So dollars do equate to speed for sure, Shaw is living proof!
Lol Beasley. You need to go work in your shop. You have way too much time on your hands these days.

Marcia????? James is playing on the computer again!!!!....haha

well as im trying to work my way out of boat racing retirement I for one would like to see b sport changed to b stock as namba has with the first 3 places subject to inspection including teardown of the power head. I can tell you first hand what had me on top of my game 10 years ago was guys that know how to make boats run fast( read engine mods here) with a lot of my money thrown in... the sport tunnel I won the masters with for several years running had close to a thousand $$$ in it. box stock would be a good thing. but I am willing either way... keep this in mind though the looser the rules are the more you open things to be modified, pricing the new guy out of being competitive.

just my thoughts and experience

good luck to all of you! go fast turn right !

gary

I will vote "YES" for this proposal. I would never vote to change anything that would hurt this sport. Thanks Bob for the effort you have put into this and all the other things you have done for us.

-Carl

Problem with moving to ENTIRELY stock motors would be for the ones with already modified motors. While it may become "easier" in some minds, why would we want to drive away those who have spent the money to have their motors modified? I could not justify completely stock from a money stand point for others.

If you're worried about modifications beating you, I took home second at the 2012 fall nats at 13 with a completely stock O.S., only 200, give or take, points away from first, beating many modified Sport motors. Luckily i have a dad and brother who were able to teach me set up and an amazing propellor from Mark Sholund.

Oops, almost forgot I had the best designed boat out there.

LYNX- Race one or chase one.

- Brandon

Last edited by a moderator:
Back