Attempting to make a boat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkhedeos

does anybody know any simple plans for a boat? i will try to make it after i finish my shelf for that class. my teacher said everybody will have to do another project if they have extra time. im ahead of everybody so i got plenty of extra time. my mom said she will buy everything i need to get it running if i CAN acually make it.

thanks

Jerry Dunlap on this forum is the man for plans!

Jerry - can you point him in the right direction?

Tim.

I just got done building a John Finch "Wild Thing" 3.5 mono. It is ultra simple to build. It consists of a total of about 12 pieces of wood, & that is including the engine rails. you can get the plans form

http://www.rcboatmodeler.com/RB/plans/fspb1000.asp

There are a couple of issues I ran into with the instructions, but I should be able to clarify any questions you might have.

Or, if you did want to build a tunnel, Jerry is defiantly the man to talk to! :D

hey d.

have you had a chance to run the boats you have yet ?

i see theres water in spreckles now , is that the only lake around you ?. if i were you i'd run the ones you have first and if your mom wants to cough for parts , let her, your going to need plenty of stuff just to keep those going sound like you have alot of "irons in the fire"

remember, keep it simple , its alot more fun

the gas gremlin has spoken

I'd also suggest the Wildthing, you will learn a lot from building one of these and no nead for an expensive strut or tabs.

Look at the thread about big block buggy motors, you may find you could get a good quick engine for play (no racing) for a reasonable price.

If you do start building you may find that you finish one build and then want to start on the next.

Good luck.

If you do start building you may find that you finish one build and then want to start on the next.
HE HE HE!! I have that same problem. I am not even done with the ones I have in the works right now, & I am thinking about the one I want to build next!

building like racing is addictive! ;)

wswatzell said:
building like racing is addictive! ;)
darn straight it is.. i'm tempted to tell my bro if he buys an engine and radio, i'll build his boat for him

looks nice, i was thinking about a small boat though, one that i can carry around easily. i was bored in class, so i drew up some pictures and i was thinking about planes and their designs. what if a riggers sponsons were swept forward instead of being parallel or swept back like in a jet? this will give it a smoother ride and since the sticks that attach the sponsons to the tub are at an angle, there will be less wind resistance. or the boat floats on 4 sponsons so it will be a 4-point hydro? my mom doesnt care about how much money she spends as long as i build the boat from scratch and the price is within 300 dollars. i can just buy used stuff if i can acually make a floating boat.

what do you think?

PATENT PENDING :D

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to make something cheap, easy to make, easy to carry around, easy to run, and fast, I recommend that you make an air boat for starters.

Air boats require almost no hardware. The go really fast, and you can use cheap airplane engines with good results. You also wont need expensive high torque servos.

An Everglades box type would be a breeze to design and build.

Hammer

Hammer, I would agree with you. I have a little Dumas Lil' Swampbuggy, & for a .049 cox engine, it is fun. that was/is my 1st boat I ever made, & really there is nothing to it. :D

sounds good, but i wanted something that made a rooster tail for looks and stuff, i dont really care if it doesnt go over 40. dont airplane engines cost just as much as boat and car engines, or is it just k&b? does adding a smoke system burn extra fuel?

Well, there buddy! I was just looking at your budget. You might get a few paddle spashes for 300 bucks. 40Mph doesn't seem like a big number, but when you are a beginner, I would say that it is extremely fast. An 049 will get your boat up to abaout 10

you can get the hydro mite plans for free, takes about $10- $15 to print them at kinkos.. as i understand it's faily small, and it's electric so you son't have to carry fuel and as much equip with you

is a 049 .049 CI? is this hydro mite small enough to play with in a bathtub? :D where do i get these plans? do you think i can pring this in the mechanical drafting room in my school?

Dorkhedeos said:
is a 049 .049 CI?
Yes

is this hydro mite small enough to play with in a bathtub?
No

do you think i can pring this in the mechanical drafting room in my school?
maybe.. depends on the equipment in there

where do i get these plans?
I think i have a copy but if you goole it i'm sure you can find em that way too.. if you can't send me a pm with your e-mail and i'll e-mail em to you, or you could ask the electric guys i am certin one of them can help you out

isnt .049 CI kinda small? my school has this big printer that is shaped like a hurdle with rollers

Small and easy to carry around? I would go with the hydromite. I just finishd up putting the hull of one together and there is no doubt you could take this thing anywhere you go. It also goes together easy and pretty quick. I don't have any pictures of it yet but I will try to get some tonight and post them. I will lay it next to a 12" scale for comparison. Here is one pic I found an idea of size.

View attachment 2392

here is a link that has a bunch of pictures of it next to a coffee mug, & you can donwload the plans from here as well. they are in an image format (.tif) so you have to mess with it a little to get the scale right when you plot it out.

Doug Forrester designed it, he hangs out on the fast electric forum if you have any questions about it.

http://www.microhydros.com/doug_forrester/doug.htm

Dorkhedeos said:
isnt .049 CI kinda small?
it'll move the swamp buggy ok.. i used a small electric engine from RS when i was your age.. my mom wouldn't let me do nitro... go figure

my school has this big printer that is shaped like a hurdle with rollers
that would be a plotter. and that should do the trick.. you might want to ask one of the drafting kids to help you get it setup right... depending on the modle they can take a little tweaking to perform properly

i have a spare .15 engine and hardware would the hydromite be too small of a hull for the motor? i need to practice my driving so i am looking for a small boat to beat on. :D :D :D

Back