Atlas Van Lines 36" Dumas kit BUILD

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RJ, The circus kit actually sold last night, and shipped out today. I have another circus kit that is fully complete I am holding on to. My other build thread is of the Miller High life 1/8th scale I am working on right now. Its a mixture of dumas fun, with newton sponsons..haha

RJ, The circus kit actually sold last night, and shipped out today. I have another circus kit that is fully complete I am holding on to. My other build thread is of the Miller High life 1/8th scale I am working on right now. Its a mixture of dumas fun, with newton sponsons..haha
Yeah spoon I think you had a "buy it now" option it was a very tempting price! However I'm hooked on finding another Dumas Miller American or 1/8 dumas Atlas. They were discontinued from Dumas not too long ago so finding one pop up on ebay shouldnt take too long.

Yeah, its already glued. I actually did gain about 3/16" in width as sponson kneelson was changed from luan to 1/16", and when I cut ply for the floor pan, I noticed the new ply need an addition of 3/16". It far to late to widen it now, but I think it will be ok. I just spent the last two hours opening up all the framing to lighten the hull. Knocked a TON of weight down. Looks a lot better now too. I will have pics later tonight. Mike

Oh, as far as the sponsons, the kit came with the secondary ride pad that you are talking about, so it sounds like dumas recreated the sponsons close to the real hull, and the newton plans for that matter, so thats a good thing.

I am thinking about laying up 3 layers of 6oz cloth with epoxy to make the floor pan of the hull all glass instead of the 1/8" thick ply I cut out yesterday. Not sure what to do yet. I figure I can drop a ton of weight not running thick ply, but I dont want to give up strength in that area either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Im gonna do 1/16th on the floor pan, and do 1/32" with 6oz cloth on the top and sponson decks. That should majorly reduce overall weight. I will also be removing a lot of the framing in the center area as well as the hull itself will become a radio box for the FE setup. I did a lot of lightening on the framing holes last night. Also, got the cowling finished, and removed from the hull. It will be used for the mold I plan to make for an epoxy cowling. Here are the pics! Mike

IMGP1302Large.jpg

IMGP1303Large.jpg

IMGP1306Large.jpg

IMGP1307Large.jpg

IMGP1308Large.jpg

I got a ton done this weekend. Got all the framing done, did more lightening holes, got all the bottom sheeting, ride pads and secondary ride pads installed, epoxyed all of the interior, and got the cowling plug primed, sanded, and I am adding mold release tonight so I can make the mold tomorrow. I have pics, but doubt I will have them up tonight. Really happy with the build so far and even happier with the minimal weight so far. Oh, does anyone have the paint codes for the white, light and dark blues? Anyone with newton plans should have the codes. Thanks, Mike

Hey Spoonefcrx

Look at the number of views and pages on that Dumas Pay n pak thread. Look at the number of views on the Pak 20 thread I started on RCU, that alone speaks for itselt. These are cool boats and with some imagination they can be alot of fun to build and modify into other hulls.

I dont know too many manufactuers that produce a semi-scale hull in sport 20 & sport 40 & 1/8 scale in a ready to build kit.

I'm willing to bet that if you continue with your build and post update that this too will recieve a lot of attention too.... B)
Ill SECOND THAT!! :) :) :)

Yeah, The boat is very light weight now. Here are some new pics. I opened up the center section and added carbon flooring. Two layers of carbon where the strut will come threw, and two layers where the stuffing box will enter. I also got the motor mount added. I am really liking this boat. I have something special on my Circus build today too, so be sure to check it out!

IMGP1332Large.jpg

IMGP1333Large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I got a ton done tonight. Got the fins mounted- on the outside of the framing as I think it was mentioned the kit has it mounted to far in. I also got the turn fin mount installed. Then I cut out all the foam I wanted, installed that. Then trimed the top decks to fit around the rear fins, and glued the top decks down! All of that is curing tonight. Everything has weights on it, so not much to see till tomorrow. More then!

Got the front and rear center plates added, did some minor gap filling, and got the top epoxied. Tomorrow night I will add epoxy to the lower side of the hull. I'm really liking this boat! I think its gonna do well with FE power.

IMGP1336.jpg

IMGP1340.jpg

IMGP1342.jpg

IMGP1343.jpg

IMGP1344.jpg

IMGP1345.jpg

Latest posts

Back