Atlas Van Lines 36" Dumas kit BUILD

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
Does anyone make an Epoxy cowling for the 36" Dumas Van Lines kit? I am building the boat now, and really dont care for the wood cowling. I will make it and mold it to make my own if needed, but it would be nice not to have to! Let me know, Mike, [email protected]

BUILD THREAD OF THIS STARTS ON THE SECOND PAGE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, those are 1/8th scale cowlings. This hull is about 36" long..so its maybe a 1/10th scale, so the cowling is much smaller than the RC boat co cowls. Thanks, MIke

Give Pete Schille a hollar on this site, This is probably the best choice so far. My link

That might work RJ, but it may be a little small. For a 1/10th scale Atlas, it would be between 33.7 and 34.7 inches long.

Since the Atlas has the parts to to make a cowl, you may be better off building the boat with the wood cowl and use it as a plug for a glass cowl. I would recommend making the cowl one piece rather than two as it will make working on the boat easier by removing the whole cowl, eliminating the problem of having to work around the back of the cockpit.
A pair of 36 Dumas boats We all started around here with Dumas U1 kits Atlas world head quarters here

That might work RJ, but it may be a little small. For a 1/10th scale Atlas, it would be between 33.7 and 34.7 inches long.

Since the Atlas has the parts to to make a cowl, you may be better off building the boat with the wood cowl and use it as a plug for a glass cowl. I would recommend making the cowl one piece rather than two as it will make working on the boat easier by removing the whole cowl, eliminating the problem of having to work around the back of the cockpit.
A pair of 36 Dumas boats We all started around here with Dumas U1 kits Atlas world head quarters here
LOL......COOOOOOL :)

Hi SayMikey!

Those are two beautiful models you have there. but help me out here I was going to order up a Dumas Atlas sport 40 (U-1)and I thought it was the '77-81 blaster. The Atlas in the pic is the U-00 I think. So is the Atlas van lines kit that is currently on Dumas site that one or the Blaster?

Unless that kit was modded to represent that year hull?

Doesnt really matter to me too much as I'm just curious. My next build ladies & gentleman will be my 36" Atlas van lines U-71 this summer!

The Classic Thunder group rules are about as close to full scale racing as one can get, however their boats are scaled down exact 1/10 scale. Alot of their boats are scaled down from Roger Newtons plans. I know for a fact that some of those guys mod the dumas Miss Unlimited for racing. If anyone wants a glass cowl produced, or a scale driver, or graphics that MOST represent the size of the Semi-scale dumas hulls then that site I mentioned is a great source of reference. I dont believe anyone makes a 1/9.5 scale size driver for example. And that my friends is pretty much what Dumas sport 40 hulls are. 1/9.5 semi-scale.

But lets keep in mind that this is a sport 40, which is a semi-scale class to begin with, HJ I thought you built this boat?

Order away RJ. The picture on the website is the 82 boat and is a misprint. The Sport 40 U-1 is the Blue Blaster that is presently sitting down at the HARM with major pieces of the hull missing. I would recommend finding some other way to mount the tails besides cutting a slot in the decking for each tail as per the instructions. For the record, the tails on the full sized boat were mounted on the outside of the air traps, not inboard like shown in the plans. As soon as I can get the film developed, I'll post a picture to show how it was done on the big boat
Yes I knew that the website was wrong, but what about saymikeys Atlas thats pictured? Unless it was modded from that kit?

Save your money on film, Film? I thought everyone uses digital today :lol:

Heres the pics on the restoration http://www.thunderboats.org/77AVL/Photos/hull/10-01.html

HJ I thought you built this hull? If so then maybe you can make a glass mold of your cowl?

Hey buzzardu00 that is one sick pic you got there. Totally up on plane, nice.

The 82 Atlas pictured is a modded 77 hull as Dumas has never made an 82 hull in the 36" length. I have pictures I shot at the HARM when I was there for the Newton Memorial R/C Hydroplane Show, both of the Blaster and of the R/C boats. Yes, I did build one back in 1986. I gave it to a friend's kid back in the late 90's and never bought another one. It won't be replaced by a Dumas boat regardless. I have a set of Newton plans for the Blaster that I scaled down to 36" and will be building a Blaster from that. I did cheat, however, buying a set of decals from Dumas to finish the boat when I get that far. I just need to get the correct color numbers for the boat and I'm good to go
Yes its a modded kit,Jack built the Blaster the U00, U31 Circus a U25 Pay n Pak and then scaled down a Newtons U31 Circus Canard. All But the Blaster remain,and all were raced and won many trophies. He also built the Ky Paver but powered it with a 21. At one time at least 20 of these boats started what is now called sport 40 in the midwest..

Well, I was not going to do a build thread on this hull, as I figured people would find it kind of a crappy boat, with very little following..guess I was wrong! Here are some pics. I am working on the framing right now, and started on the cowling last night. I plan on building the cowling as one piece, then cutting it off the hull, and making a mold of the wood cowl. This boat, like all my others, will be electric as well, so I want the cowling to be easily removable as one large piece. I will be doing more lightening holes soon, but I want to finish on the cowling, glue on the center former ride pad as it is just taped on right now to keep things square. I did replace some of the luan with plywood where I felt it counted most. The boat really is not that heavy. I have heard of it being a tail dragger, but I think its going to have a good CoG. I appreciate hydro junkie mentioning the wing location is wrong. This is something I will address to make it correct. I also plan on making the fins and wings epoxy cloth over foam, and removable. I want them light as can be!

Hydro Junkie, you mentioned you had the newton plans for this hull. Could you take a picture of how Roger designed the sponson ride pads. I can replicate that change pretty easily if I have a visual. I don't know much about this hulls ride pad, weather its 2 or 3 angles, and if it has the reverse angle on the inside like my Circus Newton plans did. Any info will help, and will probably help the ride of the boat! Enjoy the pics, More to come! Mike

IMGP1296Large.jpg

IMGP1297Large.jpg

IMGP1298Large.jpg

IMGP1295Large.jpg

Hey Spoonefcrx

Look at the number of views and pages on that Dumas Pay n pak thread. Look at the number of views on the Pak 20 thread I started on RCU, that alone speaks for itselt. These are cool boats and with some imagination they can be alot of fun to build and modify into other hulls.

I dont know too many manufactuers that produce a semi-scale hull in sport 20 & sport 40 & 1/8 scale in a ready to build kit.

I'm willing to bet that if you continue with your build and post update that this too will recieve a lot of attention too.... B)

Your right RJ! I am wondering if I need to do the Coors Light U-100 boat with this hull now??? I love that boat. I have some things to think about! Mike

Your right RJ! I am wondering if I need to do the Coors Light U-100 boat with this hull now??? I love that boat. I have some things to think about! Mike
You know I dont see why not. It would save you some time & trouble on locating a glass cowl for it, right? :lol:

Roger Newtons plans would help out alot with the color detail, check out that www.ClassicThunder.org site again. On there you will find a link that will point you towards a list of sites and manufactuers that make drivers, scale V-12's cockpit detail etc that may work. Heres the link http://classicthunder.org/SetUp/CTReference.htm

Just do it! Have fun at it and I guarentee you theres going to be alot more guys chipping in and your simple question about obtaining a glass cowl will quickly morph into 10+ pages of debates and opinions that we all love and enjoy reading here on the forum.... :p

I believe your the one selling that Circus kit on ebay? I havent looked but if so have you posted it here on the forum?

Back