Aquire more boats or Retire what you have?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Hughes said:
You can always make more room for more. If you run out of room on the floor, all you have to do is look up. I have shelfs that I hang on jack chain in the garage just about everywhere. Ran out of space on the floor long ago.Mike
Hay thats a idea I can through out all those airplanes and put boats in there spot. I wonder if the wife will notice??

so how many of you collect motors. as I been collecting since i was a kid. got some whare over 300 motors. as of today.and still growing some new and some used.

Jimmy

:D

Propjockey said:
It OK, Wade. Admitting you have a problem is the first step.  :p
HAHAHAHA! PJ, your humor often makes my day :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Collector here.

I like to stack them boats like cordwood.

Also:

I have a pretend 1979 hobby shop in my basement.. "True"

In it I have

Cash Register

Old Glass display case.

(just getting ready for shelving)

Stuff you will find at Dons Hobby Shop:

Boats

Trains

Rockets

UC planes

Free Flight Planes

Rubber Power Planes

Slot cars

Aerogloss dope (the old stuff)

Motors (all kinds)

Kraft Radio and bricks

Its called Dons Hobby Shop and if you call me and my wife yells for Don. You know im down there.

The Name Dons Hobby Shop comes from a small town hobby shop that was on the same block as me when I was growing up. Don had a huge impact on me as a kid and although still living he is not doing so good.. The shop is closed now and some of the stuff in my shop is from his store.

Rebuild kits for Thimble Dome engines.

Slot car parts for old Tiger cars, you name it. All kinds of stuff.

I will have to post a pic some day..

Grim (Don) racer

That is really cool! Has Don Seen your version of "Don's Hobby Shop"? I think that is a very nice tribute to someone that has made such an impact on you.

Wade

Don is to fragile to travel. Its to bad because he would like it.

I can remember when i was a kid and i would go in there during his lunch.. Hehe He would be Pissed and me because i would have to open and look in every matchbox car box at the car..

He would say..Dont open all those boxes..you can see the picture of the car on the box...Hehe..

The first thing that I ever bought form there was a Century rocket called “The Bug” Lifting body design.. Quest later came back out with it..I have the Quest version now.

I was scared as hell of this guy because he was 6'2" and grumpy.. He came to be one of my most respected acquaintances.

He would put stuff on a tab for me and I would pay it off at the end of the week with the HUGE check I would get from my saw cleaning job.. Yea that was a meat market and I hated hunting season. Hehe I got a hole $2.15 per hour….Hehe

I have a butt load of memory from that place, from the smell to the sounds..(he was a watch maker, he had 100s of clocks in there…LOOK OUT 12 NOON…)

Grimracer

Wow parallels again..........For me it was Osleys Drug in my home town a soda shop/hobby store on the corner of the square downtown. My dad worked outta town a lot on construction jobs and my next door neighbor used ta take me down every Saturday and get a cherry coke and look at all the models and rockets.

His name was Alpha Stephenson, a dutch desent jewerly maker and designer, he also designed our house. He was the first to teach me how to solder and make things up outta what ya had around. He used to go to the aircraft salavge in Kansas and bring home Norton Bomb Sights, full of shafts wheels gears and lenses, perfect for a young guy to go through and build up stuff. He also helped me with my first slot car, a Manta Ray with the orange big motor cant remember the name, we put ball bearings in it and litened the chassis it was the fastest thing around until the Asp came out. Always had a Swisher Sweet cigar in his mouth, mostly chewed on them, till after supper and he would sit on the driveway and smoke it. Both him and dad passed on with in 5 years of each other and not a day goes by that I dont think about Dad and his boats and Alpha and his cigars,

Gene ;)

Always nice to walk down memory lane.....

back when i was a kid my mom used to take me to al's hobby shop in elmhurst after I had to get shots at the doctor. Back then I was into model trains. My brother and I had an 8 ft X 8 ft N gauge layout in the basement with a hole in the middle where you would operate the trains. After my father passed we sold the house and I had to take a circular saw to the whole thing and throw it out. That was a difficult day for me. Ill never forget the day a squirrel got in the house.... He ran all over the train set knocking over buildings and cars..... It was like a king kong movie. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Tom I feel your pain bro.......I couldn’t bring myself to take a saw to it. I have 2 4x8 panels in my attic with untold N gage stuff (engines, cars houses, lights, transformers, the whole shebang) that just sits up there. I still remember boxing the stuff up. Some of it my father was collecting since he was a kid. I never had an interest in the stuff. I'm hoping one of my nephews will want it some day

Propjockey said:
Yo, Jimmy! Can I go through your trash?
what are you loking for I got tons ! airplanes are to hard to ship most of the time. and the motors I get rid of only a few a year.

Jimmy :D

Howza 'bout an F4U Corsair? (or any other scale WWII bird)

Have any kits you haven't started yet?

Propjockey Racing.....don't I have enough crap already?

Grim,

Funny thing about those MatchBox cars, when I was a kid we took the trolley down to "Earl's Toys" he had the big collector case of Matchbox and Corgi' cars. Man we'd dive into that stuff and make a mess. He'd go nuts. But he was a **** good guy. No more toy stores like that these days. He carried all the "illegal" rockets in San Francisco for the customers ;) he knew personnally ;) . He held the model contest and all that good stuff.

I'd like to set up a hobby shop but the only thing I got is peg board with hooks filled w/DuBro, K&B parts, Sullivan etc... and all those small things. Nothing fancy like your store. LOL

I did the matchbox/hot wheels thing for a short time growin' up but got hooked on the Aurora Thunderjet HO slot cars! Had THE baddest track set up in the neighborhood, 3 4x8 plywood framed out to 12 x 8 table. Bought the books from LHS on doing the screen & plaster hills & stuff. Had the HO trains running outside the track layout. Lights, grandstands, the works. And when the A/FX series came out, man that was somethin'! The big banked turns, the cars were faster. Ahh the good ol days......... :D

Don,

we had the big train tracks like that with slot cars and tunnels and stuff. Man, can you believe when I hit 15 I thought that was for babies and got rid of all of it. That stuff today would be worth a fortune.

I think that is the main reason the hobby today is hard for some of the younger Dudes to jump into, the soaring costs of gettin started, add to that the letdown first run if you dont have anyone around to help. Plus you are up against Playstation, XBox and crusin chicks at the mall,

Sheeeesh!

Gene :D

Amazingly the one thing I have worth some good scratch are my Baseball cards. Hard part is getting someone to pay for them. I thought my kids would have been the receiptiant of them but they show zero interest now that Yu-Gi-Oh cards, Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z etc...are the things to collect

"but they show zero interest now that Yu-Gi-Oh cards, Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z etc...are the things to collect"

Let 'em get a little older, they'll realize what dear old dad is sittin' on. My father has the first 4 releases by Elvis on Sun records before RCA stole him away. Those, along with about 50 others are on 78rpm records ( or vinyl for you youngsters out there...). Man I want those real bad........ B)

''Collect --- Neglect --- Sell'' ????

How about giving an old hull to a kid at your local pond? I did just that this year and now, with the help of his father, we have a new boater.

Something to think about .................. Randy ;)

man.. i was born way to late.. all you guys talking about really cool toys... oh well.. my friends dad gave us some of his old slot cars back in the 90's open wheelers... they were so cool.. i remember bein at the slot track and some of the older guys oferfing newest and greatest lasercut ect.. for those. still have them, just no place to run them anymore.

-=Cy

btw there is some stuff that still just sounds better on vynal than anything else ;)

Back