Any plumbers on this board?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

Have my hot water tank replaced 4 years ago but the outer jacket is rusting badly. It is a 40 gallon gas heater with a power vent. Of course, the warranty just expired.
I have been asking for quotes and the price for replacing the water tank has gone up. Can you tell me how much it should cost?
I paid about $1500 for everything 4 years ago ($1000 for the tank and $500 install). Now it is almost twice as much.

Thanks,
k

Have my hot water tank replaced 4 years ago but the outer jacket is rusting badly. It is a 40 gallon gas heater with a power vent. Of course, the warranty just expired.
I have been asking for quotes and the price for replacing the water tank has gone up. Can you tell me how much it should cost?
I paid about $1500 for everything 4 years ago ($1000 for the tank and $500 install). Now it is almost twice as much.

Thanks,
k
3000.00 for a water tank? Holy smokes! Not sure, I’m not a plumber but that sounds really excessive even with inflation.

Get one from Home Depot and do it yourself. 4 yrs seem like a short life for a water heater. 1000-1200 for water heater from what I seen on HD site. That power vent bumps the price up a bit. Last time I did mine it was in the 600 range without power vent.
Mike

None of the plumbers would give me a breakdown of the total cost. But it is about 1500 for the tank. $1000 for labor and perhaps $300 for supply.
Yes, a heater should last at least 8 to 10 years. But obviously this one has some defects. And the warranty just expired a few months ago. The warranty starts from the data of manufacture.

Sounds like a gas water heater they make a flex hose for the water side about 30 for each one makes a snap to hook up the water side the gas side is a little more of a trick but if you get the same water heater you should be able to unscrew the fittings and reuse them the vent would be the same I’m sure there’s someone close to you to help you mine is in the basement and have a door to the outside no steps so I just used a dolly and hauled it full of water.

More plumbing question. One of the outside hose bibs has a leak. I usually just replace the washer inside. But this one is frozen stuck. I tried heating it with a torch. No luck. Tried WD40 but it is difficult to get it to stay on the thread. Any suggestions?

Might have to replace it. Some of those bibs thread in and some dont. Knowing how contractors do work these days (minimal costs). It would be the cheaper of the 2. So it is probably sweated on. Meaning you would need to open up the wall. I have access to all of mine from under the house crawl space.
Mike

Thanks,
k
I'm a licensed plumber in Ohio power vent 50 gal water heaters have doubled in price if you want a good one you will not go to home depot Ferguson or winnelson we install them for 3800 power vent covid Texas freezing and big companies that own the plumbing companies whant a profit margin not to break even and the steal sucks full of recycled steal that has contaminants 6 year warranty are normal now .
change the anode rod every three years and water softeners will shorting the life span to hose bibs are up to 425 difficult access can add 100 bucks to that now these prices are for a professional install no flex crap copper black iron new ball valves expantion tank drip pan inspection I remember the stuff we used to make would last 30 years not any more it sucks

I'm a licensed plumber in Ohio power vent 50 gal water heaters have doubled in price if you want a good one you will not go to home depot Ferguson or winnelson we install them for 3800 power vent covid Texas freezing and big companies that own the plumbing companies whant a profit margin not to break even and the steal sucks full of recycled steal that has contaminants 6 year warranty are normal now .
change the anode rod every three years and water softeners will shorting the life span to hose bibs are up to 425 difficult access can add 100 bucks to that now these prices are for a professional install no flex crap copper black iron new ball valves expantion tank drip pan inspection I remember the stuff we used to make would last 30 years not any more it sucks

change the anode rod every three years and water softeners will shorting the life span to hose bibs are up to 425 difficult access can add 100 bucks to that now these prices are for a professional install no flex crap copper black iron new ball valves expantion tank drip pan inspection I remember the stuff we used to make would last 30 years not any more it sucks and im pretty shure the government wants us to go tankless those prices haven't changed in 3 years problem with those are you have to service them every year and if the power goes out your SOL

Thank all for your replies. I have decided to employ the service of a plumbing company to replace the tank.

As for the stuck hose bib, will heating it work? I sprayed liquid wrench on the thread but it is almost seamless. So the liquid wrench probably will not get to the threads. And if I really lean on the stem, I will either round off the hex or I break the copper pipe behind the wall

They are just really tight is all. Surely not a LH thread.

Remove the handle and packing nut.

Get a six point deep socket on a impact wrench. Thread old hose on bib to protect the threads and hold body with channel lock while you bump it loose with the impact and it will come right out.

Back