• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Any one make a wrist pin install tool for .21 nitro engines ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Rick,

A few people have them for the Nova Rossi and I think they get them from right from Nova Rossi. I should get one, I'd use far less G-Clips. Wish there was one for the CMB's

Thanks, John

Rick funny you should ask I just finished making 4.

John mine work on any .21

IM me if interested...........

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago Bill McGraw made a wrist pin clip installation tool for 21 and 45 size engines. There should be a few of them gatheringdust in somebody's shops.

just get a piece of brass tubing the same OD as the pin or close. Most likely you will have one laying around the shop.

Then find a drill that slips inside it.

Cut a small piece half the length of the drill. now put the c clip in the tube and use the flat end of the drill to drive it home as you hold the tube tight to the piston.

not rocket science....................no need to pay for one...........................

Frank Orlic made a run of them some years past. They work for any 21 engine and are a very simple design. I have used mine on the NR, CMB and MAC engines.

That is what is in the picture on the left hand side. These were for the CMB 91/101 but same idea just smaller for the .21's

Nice to flare the end you load the clip in to easily slip it in there with a small pair of needle nose. Then a taper ground into the end you push against piston to index in the piston wrist pin bore. If you use a countersink 60° reamer for a tiny bevel on the piston it won't hurt a thing but will allow the tool to index in the side of piston and the clip won't come out of the tube with out going in and you won't slip and scratch things up.

Second picture is one I made to fit gas engine. The solid push pin is to push clip down tube and prepare it flat at the end ready for install. The longer slotted driver is to push it in the piston.

IMG_8547.JPG

Piston clip tool.jpg

I assemble my rod/pistons inside a plastic bag .. But these tools look like a much more user friendly solution.. I make my own circlips from piano wire..takes a couple of minutes to make a years supply lol..

cheers

Ian

Olly I tried to get in touch with Frank Orlic recently to buy one from him, my calls (messages left) and Im's have gone unanswered. I am thinking he is not supporting the hobby anymore maybe due to age or illness. Anyone heard from him recently? The latest posts on IW are from early 2015.

Thanks Olly for the pic posting. I have been unavailable all day and just getting home. It is a delrin ring that fits over the sleeve. Line up the wrist pin hole with the hole in the outer ring, tighten it up with the 2 plastic thumbscrews, put the clip in the hole and push it with a small stainless rod. When the clip is seated it will give a small click and it is done. No chasing the clip around the room. The stainless rod can be of almost anything. Simple to duplicate.

Back