any appliance repairmen or women here?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

my mom asked me to look at her washer as its not functioning right. seems it keeps filling and doing maybe a load sensing thing and then filling more then it might be timing out? anything I should look for? she got a new one and wants to keep this for washing pet bedding. thanks in advance Carl

my mom asked me to look at her washer as its not functioning right. seems it keeps filling and doing maybe a load sensing thing and then filling more then it might be timing out? anything I should look for? she got a new one and wants to keep this for washing pet bedding. thanks in advance Carl
check it to make sure it's level front back side to side and Corners to corners

Sounds like an electronics issue to me. I used to work on laundry equipment for Sears and Whirlpool was normally a decent brand. I've never known of one to "time out" so it sounds like the sensing system has failed. It's also possible, but unlikely, that something got between the inner and outer drum. I've seen that upset the electronics once or twice as well

Ours was doing weird stuff, turned out the agitator was loose causing the sensor system to shut it down early. Tightened the bolt in the center ( after removing plastic pieces) put it back in service and it was fixed. Initially I could not tell it was loose, found it just loose enough to upset the system. Came loose a second time so it got the blue lockette treatment. Been good a year now.

I had to replace the water pump in mine. It wouldn’t drain so it would stop. The screen showed a red light and I looked it up on YouTube and it showed how to fix it. Very easy!

Wingnut, has she gotten her washer repaired? You've been given several options and I'm curious as to what was the problem

Last edited:
Sounds like an electronics issue to me. I used to work on laundry equipment for Sears and Whirlpool was normally a decent brand. I've never known of one to "time out" so it sounds like the sensing system has failed. It's also possible, but unlikely, that something got between the inner and outer drum. I've seen that upset the electronics once or twice as well

yeah, some are more reliable than others but in my experience all brands today are potentially more problematic than machines of old. I'm still running my old-ish Whirlpool direct-drive top-loader with no electronics; it's one from when they still had electromechanical timers. I live right on the Great Lakes so I don't give a rip how much water it uses, and I'll keep running it until something eventually breaks that costs more than the machine to repair.

yeah, some are more reliable than others but in my experience all brands today are potentially more problematic than machines of old. I'm still running my old-ish Whirlpool direct-drive top-loader with no electronics; it's one from when they still had electromechanical timers. I live right on the Great Lakes so I don't give a rip how much water it uses, and I'll keep running it until something eventually breaks that costs more than the machine to repair.
I know the feeling. Wife and I bought our house back in 2000 and, fortunately for us, the sellers didn't want to take the washer and dryer since they were moving into a facility that had them already. That was, obviously, 20 years ago and this set of Kenmores have never failed or needed repair. It's probably a good thing since I doubt I could get parts for them any more since I know they had been in the house for several years before we bought it :(

heck, they're 15 years old and the washer's sacrificial motor drive coupler hasn't even broken yet.

Back