Andrew G

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Pachmayer

Andrew,

I get why you guys can get away with using 1P lipos in your boats for racing. After watching the videos and timing how long you actually run I would agree you only need 1P in your boats. Unfortunately those setups wouldn't be competitive in the States the way we run. For example a 4S2P rigger runs 70+ on the 3rd mile oval and is setup to run at least 8 laps.

I also understand why my favorite sour kraut doesn't get it either, running 8 laps wide open boring? lmao!

Paul.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul? You'r still alive? And still fighting? Come on. Be a good boy.

And I'm sorry you did'nt get the irony in that particular post, although, I'm a bit surprised you read it...

Joerg

P.S. I'm just eating a kraut salad. Honestly. Delicious.

Hi Joerg,

Yep, still alive and nope, I'm not fighting anything. I get email updates from people anytime I get slammed in a post. ;) Go figure, some people actually "like" me, lol. I like kraut too, especially on a brat. Seeing as though my grandparents were immigrants from Germany (yep, I'm German decent :eek: ) I know good kraut.

Paul.

Paul

We don't have any classes equivalent to 4S10AH ie 8S in our racing. Our rules are not yet in place for racing.

Which videos?

Which races?

What did you time?

Paul.

Again

We don't have any classes equivalent to 4S10AH ie 8S in our racing.

Which videos?

Which races?

What did you time?

Please be a little specific.

Paul lets assume the vids are of the recent 07 Winter Spectacular.

Lets compare apples with apples. We sprint race, ie 5 laps of a 328yard oval. Lets compare our 5 lap times to records set on a 2 lap dash of a 298 yard oval ie the IMPBA 1/3mile records. That gives you a big head start.

1. Videos of EA mono. These are 12 cell Nimh monos. Not Lipo. The IMPBA record for P mono is 31.719s over a 2 lap dash on a 298 yd oval. On our 328 yd oval that average speed translates to 20.5 second laps.

2. The EA mono which set best time in the vids averaged 22.4 seconds per lap. At last Septembers HV champs it averaged 20 seconds per lap over 5 laps. Slow I think not.

3. The IMPBA 24 cell mono record set last Nov. is 32.65s. That equates to an 18.25 sec lap on our longer oval. The fastest 5 lap 12 cell mono time recorded on a permanent course is 95 seconds or 19s per lap. Those boats are slow I think not.

4. There are 2 “Open” class videos. Open is an all in class limited to 10S (150gm per cell limit) or nickel cells.

Best official time was 62s over 5 laps; or 12.4s per lap. Or on the slightly smaller IMPBA oval an 11.1s per lap, for 5 laps.

The 6S rigger ran 73s. The average is 14.6s per lap or 13.1s for 5 laps on the IMPBA oval. Those boats are slow? I think not.

Kris Flynn, as a moderator, you are meant to be impartial and set an example for behaviour in a forum.

We have relatively few electric racers in Australia, and a relatively short history. However the achievements of those racers here has been high within a short period. Specifically, the guys who raced at WS deserve a fair report of their results.

For Paul Pachmeyer to mock and misrepresent the achievement of our racers is mean and arrogant. To do in in the face of the facts is dishonest. For you to play the Benedict Arnold and join him in demeaning the people you race with, in order to land a cheap shot at my expense, is inappropriate and disloyal to other AMPBA members.

Andrew,

You took it hook line and sinker mate.

Honestly i would have just walked away.

There is not point trying to prove our racing setups to any other country.

Just let it go.

BREATHE an move on.

Let the boats do the talking. Set them up and race, its the best and only way to show things. Numbers and calculations mean squat unless it is put to practice.

>>>as a moderator, set an example<<<

And dont take this as a cheap shot, take it as advice.

You should be setting an example with boating in Aus. As the main Electric guy, importer, and supplier you shoud contest all classes we have. Meaning until we get to full EA, EB, EC you should try run LSH, EA mono and open. Even if you have not got the fastest boat, just make it consistant. Use the technology to show us all what works and doesnt work. Data loggers, prop motor charts.

Who cares what others think.

David

apples to apples...how can you compare, we race totally different...

Anyway Andrew, people dont have to be nice to you or treat you any different than anyone else on the forum this includes me (who happens to be a moderator)

Examples of the setups and times at the NAMBA Electric Nationals is at http://members.tripod.com/psfastelectrics5...the_nationa.htm This is the largest heat race so far in model boating using lipos. Around 160 boats driven by nearly 50 boaters entered. The only large class running nickel metal batteries was the spec Super V 27 class. The race was notable for the fast boats and lack of problems. I'm sure the setups were conservative compared to what the batteries could do, but speed controllers limited the maximum currents. It made for fun racing.

Lohring Miller

... but speed controllers limited the maximum currents.Lohring Miller
Lohring... You've said this before, but this is not accurate... We have 240A ESCs at our disposal... I didn't see an issue with maximum currents... Could you elaborate further so I can understand why you are saying this?

I do agree that more could be had from the cells, but Greg and Brian were to the two fastest guys on the water in both N2 and P Mono, and Greg was only running Hydra 120s... I had one of the top 3 fastest in N2-Sport, and I'm only running B125s... with the same motor/battery combos as Brian... in a bigger boat to boot...

I think we have plenty of ESC these days... for under 6S anyhow... Would be nice to get something for 6S to 10S now, so we can get serious with these 1/8th scales...

Andrew,

Are you off the meds again? In my original post I said nothing about you guys running "slow".

For Paul Pachmeyer to mock and misrepresent the achievement of our racers is mean and arrogant.
WTF are you talking about? Where are you getting these ideas pal? Maybe you should try reading again what I typed and take it for what it was. Your problem is your reading "into" lines that aren't there.

Paul.

David

I didn't take anything. I gave the info on what our guys are doing. I simply used the comparable standards/records Paul has set as a yardstick. Everyone understands the agenda being run you only have to read his blog. The local guys came up great. Poor old Kris, I have never met someone so adamant about their right to be wrong. He could have been a Python.

Lohring - thanks for the info. there are some interesting setups int here Larry Bickford's DPI is a blast from the past. Brian Bauss' motor winds are so low he must be a limbo dancer.

Darrin - the 120 Hydra was a surprise to me too - thats great performance from that device. The smarties will save some bucks buying that one.

Andrew,

First off the only "good" oval records I ever set were in T Mono and T Tunnel, the other records set you mentioned were a joke set with old 3300 sub-cs in 25mph wind and high chop.

I simply used the comparable standards/records Paul has set as a yardstick. Everyone understands the agenda being run you only have to read his blog.
You know, I have no agenda Andrew. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if at a race that I only needed 1P to get the job done I would. The way we're racing now 1P won't cut it period. I'm not the one running my mouth on the boards either. I don't push my business down peoples throat every five minutes and it's thriving quite nicely and quietly. Are you building three to five race boats a week? I am. Seems to me people know where to find reliable speed and competitive boats. Good luck buddy, you need it.

Paul.

I just blew up (really, with fire and smoke) a water cooled Castle 240 hydra. The Eagle Tree data logger attached to one pack was pegged at 140 amps, so the total current was over 280 amps. Amazingly, the Castle link still worked and nothing but the FET boards was fried. The 4S Thunderpower 5000 lipos were warm, but not hot, as was the motor. I believe that the current lipos can put out over 300 amps each pack for a total of 600 amps when two 5000 packs are in parallel. I'm not saying it is a good thing to try this, but currently my experiment proves that the speed control is the "fuse" in the system.

Lohring Miller

Paul Nope no agenda. None. Nada. Not even a teensy weensy bit. Clear air. Just helping. Thank goodness you addressed a thread to me or I wouldnt have been here for the news. Thanks buddy. You are a swell pal. The best . I cannot say how fair your are. You are my Maid Marion.

Kris and David this was thread was addressed to me. Why are you here? Only because you took the bait. Kris isn't it a little obsessive? Maybe one day you to let me in on what happened at 2005 HV that has turned you into my keeper.

Lohring I guess that's one esc you wont be bringing over. The packs can put out big amps. Looking forward to meeting you next year. I am sure it will be fun I just hope we aren't all lost in the main arena. Best of all you will get a chance to meet some of the guys who enjoy their racing.

... but currently my experiment proves that the speed control is the "fuse" in the system.
Lohring Miller
Welcome to FE Lohring... ;) It's an endless spiral... Motors improve, batteries fry... batteries improve... ESCs fry... then ESCs are improved, and you start taxing motors... When all is good, then boats get bigger and you start the cycle all over again... If you are looking for a point of equalibrium, good luck, because no one I've ever meet in FE has found it yet...

This is EXACTLY why we need sensible hull-size limits on these classes... What good is "600-amps" if you can't race with it?... This would help to ease the endless chasing of our perverbial tails with these setups, without unduely restricting the technology...

Back