AC pro 40 hydro,info....

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redster

Has anyone have experience with this boat?How does she set up and the quality?Who carries it here in the US.Still doing research for my new hydro project,thank you for any info.

Redster

I have never built this particular boat, but Andy's workmanship is second to none. He also tests alot and if you follow his instructions the boat will work great. Andy is truly one of the good guys. I believe Rocket City Racing carries them.

Mark

Redster,

One thing you may need to do with the setup is to add a little weight up

front to get the thing to really run fast and stay on the water. I know of

a few of them that once they added a little weight up front the boat was

unbelievable.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

My brother and I are trying to set one up, but we have no instructions as he picked it up used. We can't seem to get it up on plane. How about a strut depth and angle? What prop would you recommend?

wait a minute there are two versions to this boat which one do you have? the first one has some steps in the sponson this version was very hard to get up the later one has a different sponson set up and they get up very easy. the strut dept as per instruction is 7/8" deep talk to brian watts of Rocket city racing he could help you out more, he acctualy wrote the instruction for the later version and he sell alot of them. a good prop to start with is 450/3 or /2 646/3 447/3 these are some of the props in my box that i run on this boat. :D

I believe we have the older version. Tried once again today to get it to run. No chance. The things a real pig. :angry: Look for it on ebay real soon.

my father runs this hull, we have run it with a CMB CAM and also a Mac. very fast hull when setup correctly. there is a few here in dist.3 that are unbeleivable!! i would contact Brian Watts at Rocket City. MARK

Hey Mark, can you describe how your dad's boat is set up? Is your Dad's the older version? Ours has the radio box behind the engine, fuel tanks up front, strut set at 7/8" with a X450/3 prop. It doesn't matter how you launch it, it just won't get up on plane. Sure would hate to see this boat go on ebay. Also, is that district 3 NAMBA or IMPBA? We're in district 3 IMPBA.

I run my AC Sport 40 II with the strut set at 1" from the bottom of the boat to the bottom of the strut.... CMB with AB nitro pipe at 10.25.. It can pull anything from a 450/3 to an Anderson 1455/3. Mine has the radio box behind the engine with the fuel tanks up front.

Brian also suggested a slight postive angle on the strut.. Also use the 20 mono rudder and the AC turn fin..

I would say it runs well.. I'll know better July 11th!!

THanks,

Charley

I believe there were real problems with the first version of the AC sport 40 getting on plane... I have never run this boat but heard that the strut should be .375 off of the table and run either an x235 that is relieved and barr cutt or an x452/2 relieved..

Hope this helps,

Charley

charley don't you mean a P235(prather) also there WAS A issue of rADIO CONTROL boat Modeler mag that had this boat( the first version in it ) that was reviewed by Mike Shane it was a while back. you should be able to find it if you search their archieve. has some help full tips

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is the prop located on the boat,or where is the drive dog? I ran the early hull and had the drive dog under the transom where the ears did not stick out past the transom. This position puts the prop closer to the transom and lifts the back end of the boat and makes it hard to launch. I moved the drive dog out when the rules changed to allow the drive dog to stick out past the transom one lenght and this is all it took to get it to launch. No more problems. When both boats are set up right, We found the older version to be faster than the new version. X-646/3 blade by Octura, tanks in the front, radio in the middle, Mac 45. Pipe at 10.375"

To Robert Timmons: I run a Phil Thomas sport 40 with a MAC engine in it. Have gotten 2 firsts and 2 seconds at the last four races attended. Top speed about 57 mph. Very steady, very consistent, and handles any type of water.

I also have a new AC hull with the tanks up front and radio box behind the engine. Powered by an Andy Brown modified CMB cam engine 2003 version. Yes it is Andy Brown modified for you disbelievers. This boat turns an honest 62 mph with 55 % fuel and a X450 stock prop. Problem I have had is keeping it on the water. We have nicknamed her "flipper". On launch if I punch the throttle it literally jumps out of the water. Have to feather the throttle on launch. Just the opposite of what you are experiencing. You don't mention what engine you are using. I might suggest the following. Try a smaller prop then you are presently using. Start rich on the needle setting and a long pipe length. Set the strut at 1" with the end of the strut directly below the transom. When you get to the point that it is flying give it a little strut angle, add a small amount of weight to the bow and put a deeper rudder on. I ran yesterday at the Miami race and lost to my Phil Thomas boat driven by Steve Gultarri. But the important thing was that the AC stayed on the water. SUCCESS! I had a violet needle problem the first two heats but put in a K&B needle (drilled out) and it went like gang busters after that winning the final two heats.

Robert where do you live in Florida? I am in the Melbourne area on the east coast. We test at least once a week and would invite you to join us to get your boat squared away. I will be out on the lake alot as am getting ready for the Internats in Jackson, TN. Please call on me for anything you need. I learned by having some great mentors and am now ready to help others. By the way Brian Watts lives near me and he was most helpful in getting my boat setup. Contact Rocket City Racing for his expertise. I hope this may help you a bit. Best regards and looking forward to hearing from you. Perry (Perry P. Walter, NAMBA 831)

Hey Perry, I live in the Panama City area so traveling to Melbourne area for a sunday run is a bit too much. The boat is an early version with very different sponson bottoms from the newer version. It's running an older Picco 45 burning 45% nitro with the pipe set at 11" and we're using a X450/3 prop. We've tried everything. Moving the strut up and down, bigger props, smaller props with the same results, lots of cavitation, no plane. BTW, what kind of an angle are running on your strut. our strut angle is at or near 0 degrees. We won't be going to the internats but out buddy Glover Jeffcoat will be there to represent us. The boat boat actually belongs to my brother Keith.

The first version of the AC sport 40 was a brutal boat when it came to launching.

I watched Randy Rapedius spend almost two years trying to figure out how to set the boat up so it would launch properly.

It was plenty fast once it was on plane but nine times out of ten it just would'nt go , it would stick it's nose in the water and never get up.

He tried every prop strut and modified sponson setup you can imagine and finally gave up.

Do yourself a favaour dump the hull and pick up the the latest version or an R.C marine you will be glad you did.

Tim K

Do yourself a favaour dump the hull and pick up the the latest version or an R.C marine you will be glad you did.

Its all in the strut. Make sure the drive dog extends past the transom and your problem is solved. I had one of the first out of the mold and took a year dorking around. Andy came out with the second generation to fight the launching problems. The first ones are fine.....

To Captwalter: I also have the newer AC Sport 40 and must say that this is an awesome boat! I am running stock OPS with 50% nitro and stock X450 prop. I am getting speeds of low to mid 50's. I have to put my strut at 5 degrees in order to keep the boat on the water. My questions are: How much weight do you add to the front of the boat, and how deep is your rubber?

Thanks, David Cox

David: Will measure the rudder and get back to you ASAP. I added the weight at the Miami Race this past weekend just to be sure it didn't decide to fly as the winds, though not strong, were gusty. The boat was light on the water but well balanced. I added the strip weight just ahead of the fuel tanks in the bow. I think 3 oz. but will double check that weight and get back to you. Perry

(Perry P. Walter, NAMBA 831)

Back