A small rule change suggestion

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Norris

I have a problem with a rule that I would like to see modified. Here's the scenario. You are in a 6, 7 or 8 boat heat, good start all boats with 4 or 5 hitting the start on the clock, carnage in turn 1 with 2 boats wiping out, 2 laps later carnage again at bouy 4, 2 more boats wipe out with cowls flying and parts strewn around bouys 4 & 5, a boat dies on lap 3 in the back stretch and a boat right behind him hits him and parts fly, you just started lap 4 and you are the only boat left running, the CD tells you to take one more lap through this junkyard of crap that is laying all over the course which means you have to weave through lap 4 and do lap 5, instead of saying You are the only boat left running and you should bring it back to the dock as soon and safely as possible.

What are ya'lls thoughts on this scenario??

Ok.. I see your point, but consider this..... Maybe when you are in this situation, you were never the lead boat, and maybe even a lap down. So if you don't finish these " do one more lap" scenarios maybe you didn't do as many laps as a guy who is already dead!! You would NOT be the winner.

In most cases I see your point, but this is why the rule was written as it is.

How would you suggest it be changed to include all possible scenarios?

Brian

I see your point too Brian. Thats why I brought it up, for input. I've been caught in this situation quite a bit as I'm sure many of you have. It doesn't bother me so much when I'm driving a Mono but it can get hairy with a Nitro Rigger that doesn't like slowing down so well.

More input please.

I see your point too Brian. Thats why I brought it up, for input. I've been caught in this situation quite a bit as I'm sure many of you have. It doesn't bother me so much when I'm driving a Mono but it can get hairy with a Nitro Rigger that doesn't like slowing down so well.
More input please.
I think it should stay as is, you are already getting a gift ( so to speak) by not having to complete all of the laps. It proves at least 2 things-

1) your boat was capable of finishing the heat in the first place.

2) makes very clear you were the boat that completed the most laps, no scoring issues.

I dont run a wicked fast rigger so I cant speak from experience to your point on that matter, but its part of the deal.

Just my .02- you asked. Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
More input please.
This is what id say if it means anything. If in the back straight finnish the lap. If in the front straight make another. I was at a race in Seattle where one boat was left and he hit a dead boat. It was nasty, I sure wish he had not hit the dead boat but the carnage in turn 1 was bad. Given the thought i just said he would have won and could have cut the course to prevent such a mess. Now another wrench INTERNATS you must complete all laps ouch now what do we do???? At local races lets call it contest directors discretion. Announce it in the prerace meeting that if enough boats die during a heat in the interest of safety and time saving i may call the race as finnished....... Mike

Guys,

Like alot of other issues, leave it up to the pit bosses discression based on the situation. It there are several boats lying off turns two and three, let the last boat running cut the left end bouys and then finish the lap. If, if, if.... Then, then, then... There alot of scenarios and we can't predict them all or make a rule fit them all. We already give the pit boss the authority to call the race as he sees it (hopefully as fairly as possible), let him make the call for this situation, as well.

Brian,

Something to think about. If your boat is laying dead in the water among the debris, would you prefer forcing the last boat running to risk tagging it just because the rule states that he/she must make one more lap? I know I wouldn't.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Guys,
Like alot of other issues, leave it up to the pit bosses discression based on the situation. It there are several boats lying off turns two and three, let the last boat running cut the left end bouys and then finish the lap. If, if, if.... Then, then, then... There alot of scenarios and we can't predict them all or make a rule fit them all. We already give the pit boss the authority to call the race as he sees it (hopefully as fairly as possible), let him make the call for this situation, as well.

Brian,

Something to think about. If your boat is laying dead in the water among the debris, would you prefer forcing the last boat running to risk tagging it just because the rule states that he/she must make one more lap? I know I wouldn't.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

I would leave it alone. I you can't navigate the course without hitting a boat I'd suggest slowing down. If a lapped boat is out there turtling around they can at least earn the gift they have been given by finishing 6 laps.

In NAMBA dist 8 we have a rule that allows the CD to call the last boat running off the course (1st place) after it has completed 3 laps of 6. We do it for the reason of reducing time and reduce the amount of times you have to go around the crap. The boat must be capable of running the 6 laps for this to happen. If it looks like the boat is having trouble then they must complete the 6. Up to the CD to call it.

Mike

The rule in the IMPBA Rule Book has worked well for as long as I have been racing ( long time ). The boats on the race course are controlled by the CD ( actually the Rule Book says it's the REFEREE ) and the PIT BOSS (Rule Book says PIT MANAGER ) controls the Pit Area and boats leaving and entering the Pits from the Race Course. The PIT BOSS has NO control over boats on the Race Course. If a turn or a part of the Race Course is effectively blocked with dead boats, etc., in the interests of SAFETY, I would think the person running the race ( CD or REFEREE ) would allow the last boat running to avoid this by letting him/her cut this part of the course and make the best part of a lap before bringing the boat in. A judgement call for sure, but a good one.............especially for the faster hydro classes.

Now if you people would quit cutting out the low ends on the carburetors you could get the boats to slow down a little more and this would be less of a problem, you think?

Dick Tyndall

As found in the IMPBA rulebook under section G contest & racing rules-

6. Last boat running rule. After the official start of a heat, if only one boat

remains eligible for competition in that heat, it must cross the starting line

and complete one more lap in a running attitude, and after clearing all

penalties, shall then be declared the winner and awarded the first place points.

However, at the International Regatta, all laps must be completed.

penalties, shall then be declared the winner and awarded the first place points.

I agree the rule should stay as written. But where in the rule book does it say the CD or referee can tell a boat to cut the course after clean lap to avoid dead wood???

I agree the rule should stay as written. But where in the rule book does it say the CD or referee can tell a boat to cut the course after clean lap to avoid dead wood???

I thinks its one of those "at the host clubs descretion" type things Ray. It seems to work pretty well here in D-3. A common sense deal really.Seems to me NAMBA Scale rule require ALL laps be run, no matter the course condition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to me NAMBA Scale rule require ALL laps be run, no matter the course condition.
Which in my opinion is absurd. If there's one class of boats worth trying to keep out of harm's way it's 1/8th scale. :blink:
EXCEPT for the INTERNATS its just up tp the c/d you know the guy that tells you wether you jumped the start or not. The race is controlled by him,if your at a race its his race and his call. Lets all hope that racers listen to his(her) pitman and avoid hitting a boat. The c/d should have enough help to call dead boats and let the last running boat finnish when other boats are not in the way. The size of the course changes whats safe and whats stupid,SCALE boat racing was(is) a gentlemans race where until recently it has lost some of its favor. I defend NAMBA when I was in Seattle we were all told hit a dead boat and your done for the event,plus a fine ranging from $25.00 to $100.00. just my take Mike

Seems to me NAMBA Scale rule require ALL laps be run, no matter the course condition.
Which in my opinion is absurd. If there's one class of boats worth trying to keep out of harm's way it's 1/8th scale. :blink:

I have never seen a legal course that was so littered that one could not safely navigate around the dead boats as long as the driver realizes that thing they pull with their left index finger actually moves in 2 directions.

I have never seen a legal course that was so littered that one could not safely navigate around the dead boats as long as the driver realizes that thing they pull with their left index finger actually moves in 2 directions.
Did you ever race at Hagerstown when you were in this district Joe? Back in 2000 we wound up with 4 dead scales & parts (cowls, wings, etc) right at the entrance to buoy 4, the tightest place on the course. Two boats collided & then two died trying to get around all the debris. There wasn't a clean line there at all. But then again if I recall correctly you don't run anything bigger than a sport 40 ............ :blink:

I think this is where the driver and his pit man should understand each other very well. I have called for drivers with fast riggers and it does get hectic. Many times I have found that by the time you tell your driver about buoy numbers and lane numbers it is too late because the boats are so fast. I will tell a driver 'Stay in the driving lanes' if the first two lanes are clear. If they are not clear and there is dead stuff everywhere, then I start coaching the driver around the course by guiding him out of trouble lanes.

I have seen a course get blocked so bad on one end that only luck will get you through. In that case I don't see a problem with the CD letting you cut the course, avoid the carnage and bring your boat around safely.

Back