A/A 45 flat-slanted drum

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

we want to do (and test) some improvements on the intake drum on these engines....

It's clear that in hydros there's a problem with the boom and the flat drum intake, it's clear, too, that flat drum runs better than slanted drum.

We want to make a different "almost flat" carb holder, maintaining the same drum, so anyone can tell me minimum angle of carburettor, keeping it in same position?

We don't have a boat to have a look inside... :huh:

med_gallery_128_827_197852 copia.jpg

Hello,

we want to do (and test) some improvements on the intake drum on these engines....

It's clear that in hydros there's a problem with the boom and the flat drum intake, it's clear, too, that flat drum runs better than slanted drum.

We want to make a different "almost flat" carb holder, maintaining the same drum, so anyone can tell me minimum angle of carburettor, keeping it in same position?

Andrea: could you just move the carb throat to an angled position and leave the rest of the carb and drum at the same straight angle? this would mean that the air entering the carb would angle before it reaches the spray bar and not after like the Mac style does as it enters the case. don't know what that will do for the fuel atomization and flow. some thing to think about. Rick

I think its simpler to just move the engine away from the boom and to the rear of the hull and drill 2 or 4 new holes in your mounts....

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its simpler to just move the engine away from the boom and to the rear of the hull and drill 2 or 4 new holes in your mounts....
I agree. Looking at the picture the straight drum setup sure looks compact. More than my O.S. 46 vx-m.

Andrea;

Looking at that motor and my Rossi 65 (same intake), i believe the back plate carb casting can be

made to angle the carb up to 30 degrees with out any problems.

ask the folks there at Rossi to see if they can make a couple and see how it works.

Carl

Hello,

Andrea: could you just move the carb throat to an angled position and leave the rest of the carb and drum at the same straight angle? this would mean that the air entering the carb would angle before it reaches the spray bar and not after like the Mac style does as it enters the case. don't know what that will do for the fuel atomization and flow. some thing to think about. Rick

Andrea;

Looking at that motor and my Rossi 65 (same intake), i believe the back plate carb casting can be

made to angle the carb up to 30 degrees with out any problems.

ask the folks there at Rossi to see if they can make a couple and see how it works.

Carl
Hi,

we want to angle the carb, without changing the back plate casting...

A sample was done, will be shipped to Alan for testing next week.

As soon as is possible I'll post some photos, stay tuned!!!

regards

Andrea

...a thing like this one:

tappo copia.jpg

it's amazing how fast guys in factory try to solve problems and improve their products!

Regards,

Andrea

I just read my last post and realized that I left the word "doing" out.

The engine has been on the market for less than a month. It is winning races and classes using the flat rotor and the sloped rotor.

After all the testing, all the good results, and all the good reports, there are no plans to change the A/A 45.

I am not sure as well???? Who is this guy stepping on Al's Engines? His web site as a forum alot like this one. ???????????

Hey Al, I would really like one of those new housings.

The best and trickiest part is how they are getting away with NO BOLTS to hold the carby to the case. Maybe it's it's a 'screw thread' and you just screw it on. Or maybe you just stick it in and it's a 'press fit'.

You can tell me all about it in a couple of weeks in the 'Big Easy'. Do we have a date for Pat O'Briens for a couple of Hurricanes?

Can't wait, see you there.

Wild Bill Annabel.

I just read my last post and realized that I left the word "doing" out.

The engine has been on the market for less than a month. It is winning races and classes using the flat rotor and the sloped rotor.

After all the testing, all the good results, and all the good reports, there are no plans to change the A/A 45.
You're right...!!!!

In Italy we say : "...never change a winning horse...!"

Im confused...is there a problem or not????
There are no problems with the AA45 that I am aware of. The issue is the same as some other engines in that when you want to mount the AA45 with the straight carb intake in the place of a angled intake engine like a mac 45, you run into clearance issues with the carb possibly hitting the rear tube that connects the sponsons. Its no problem. Just move the engine to the rear or run the angled intake. To date I have not heard if their is a performance difference between the 2 intake systems on the AA45. I run the standard straight intake AA45 in my Mutt II sport 40 and I can honestly say that the AA45 has more torque and top end than the CMB 45 RS red head that I ran for 4 years in that hull. I will have to try the angled intake but I'm so pleased with the performance of my current set up that why mess with a good thing?

I say if you can run the straight intake AA45 with no clearance issues in a rigger, then that would be my first choice, otherwise, get the angled intake and go win races.....

cheers

Im confused...is there a problem or not????
There are no problems with the AA45 that I am aware of. The issue is the same as some other engines in that when you want to mount the AA45 with the straight carb intake in the place of a angled intake engine like a mac 45, you run into clearance issues with the carb possibly hitting the rear tube that connects the sponsons. Its no problem. Just move the engine to the rear or run the angled intake. To date I have not heard if their is a performance difference between the 2 intake systems on the AA45. I run the standard straight intake AA45 in my Mutt II sport 40 and I can honestly say that the AA45 has more torque and top end than the CMB 45 RS red head that I ran for 4 years in that hull. I will have to try the angled intake but I'm so pleased with the performance of my current set up that why mess with a good thing?

I say if you can run the straight intake AA45 with no clearance issues in a rigger, then that would be my first choice, otherwise, get the angled intake and go win races.....

cheers

Perfect explanation!!!

The only problem is on my "bad english", I explained in wrong way what I'm doing to have a different slanted drum, that's all !!!!

Sorry :(

The problem is that the factory would like to make just one drum design. I have told them that I want them to make two different drum designs. The 67 and 84 will also be available with two drum designs.

The factory asked my friend Andrea what he thought about another design.

I see no difference in the top end of either engine. There could be a slight bottom end difference with the flat rotor design for heavier boats, such as the V boats running in Europe. European racers and factories live for these boats.

I did not come out with the A/A engines to make it easier for the factory. They are here to give the boaters a better choice of engine designs and good performance. I can see why the factory wants to simplify things for themselves. I went through this one time before with a different factory.

A/A engines are not going to go through a bunch of changes. The designs are good, the performance has been very good, and there will not be any changes made without a reason that improves performance.

The number one priority is good competiton, on the water and in the marketplace. The more engine choices you have; the lower the prices will be. The better the engines available; the more fun you can have on the water.

We've seen the price of engines available come down. We've seen the A/A engines win a lot of races. There is no reason to make any changes.

I hope that I have explained the situation and we can just drop the subject.

I have run both rotor styles in the same boat. I took the motor out switched the housings, adjusted the linkage and the boat ran exactly the same and radared the same speed. The boat was an SGX rigger on 60%. NOTHING CHANGED, I could still mill slowly and it would jump up to speed with no hesitation. It was a simple test and I am sure motor guru's will tell me that one rotor housing is better than another, but for the average smuck like me there was no difference. Now that I heard Rob Duckering's report on an AA in a Mutt I will have to pull my Mutt out and drop in a new pwer plant. Al, send more motors!!!!!!

Robert Holland

Back