8th Scale Turbine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClayGlover

Whoa Nelly! Here's what I plan on putting in my scale Bud. It's got a transmissioned driveshaft and all-

limitededition1zoom.jpg

Well, I must win the lottery first! But someday.... hehehe

Yeah speaking of Lotto the California lotto is a t 63 million, It could be mine....all mine......... :lol:

Hell if I win I'll buy you that Turbine!

:D that turbine is set up for helis. The shaft RPM are geared waaaaay down. To low for our boating use at around 18,000 RPM. You would have to have them modify the ratios. I was reading that they burn about 5+ ounces of fuel per minute at 90,000+ RPM@turbine.

Here you go-

http://www.jakadofsky.com/htm_en/welcome.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey that equates to 1.7 litres for 10 mins running. Thats not to bad. But 4.5Kw of power is not much against our 90 size nitro's.

Mark said:
Hey that equates to 1.7 litres for 10 mins running. Thats not to bad. But 4.5Kw of power is not much against our 90 size nitro's.
who knows how well it would work? But just think of the sound it would make! If you've ever been to a full size hydroplane race, you know what I mean!!!! ;)

6 HP ain't to shabby for power in an 8th scale boat

I would cry a river if it sank and I lost a $5000 engine LOL :lol:

ClayGlover said:
I would cry a river if it sank and I lost a $5000 engine LOL :lol:
shoot, i'd be jumping in the water before it dissapeared.. rescue bot scuba equipment or not

Yeh, the sound of those little turbines on model jets is awesome. You can get engines with about 15HP if you look around. They all cost about the same price give or take $500-$1000 and are also about the same size externally.

OK guys, now that you are dreaming of turbine powered 1/8th scale hydros, what are you going to do about a turbines worst enemy, H20 (WATER) they don't like it at all. Seems to me like you are going to have to go through the same stuff the full size boats went through at first and are still experiencing, water ingestion puts out the flame and damages the turbine blades. The maintainance issue alone is enough to make one think twice. The present starting sequence at a race isn't enough to get a turbine up and running and in the water within 2 1/2 minutes, unless you alter the rules just for 1/8th scale and we know that is going to take an act of congress.

During a conversation with the late Gene Taylor way back in the early eighties at a Southern Gentleman's race in Hammond, La. he said he could eventually see us racing boats in a wash tub out in the back yard, well Gene wasn't far off of it, as you can see with the micro boats that are available today, and the turbine have come a long way since early developement. Good luck to those that find the funds to try and do it. Maybe some day I/C engines will be a thing of the past just like the trend in the full size unlimited hydros..............................

missbudpilot55 said:
The maintainance issue alone is enough to make one think twice.
Dude, this idea is just that, a daydream and small talk. I look once at the price of one of these and fall out of my chair. To actually put one on the water? :huh: Maybe if I really did win the lottery, I'd do it for shits and giggles. It would be neat to see someone else try to make it work though hahahaha

That Llumar boat is badass ;)

ClayGlover,

Yeh it's a bit of a dream but there are a lot of people in model aircraft who have switched from 90 size engines and a ducted fan unit to a jet engine because the benefits out way the massive cost, so they say. At the model jet shows now there are only about 20% ducted fan units while the rest are jet powered. Makes you wonder how good these things are.

I have already talked with several Mfg's and formulated the rules, BUT all of them said that the engines would require major factory overhaul if they dunked at speed (shear all the blades of the compressor, grenade the front half of the engine). One even said a tablespoon of ingested dirty water would throw the hot turbine wheel out of balance when the water particulates locked onto it. Not much promise for this year.... John in Huntsville

It's already been done! Some guys in the UK built a 1/8 scale Blue Bird with a turbine in it. I have videos of the first run, which wasn't to impressive, but it sure sounds hot! :D

I have heard they did get it sorted out and up to speed since the videos were taken. The owner ONLY brings it out for special occasions.

If someone can host the videos, I think they are MPEG's I'll send them along.

Tim k said:
Hey guy's check out this site .http://www.angelfire.com/clone/oshawarcmodelboats/

Look under video clips on the left side , one of the video's is called Erics jet boat (canard).

Not very fast but it sounds awsome.

Tim K
the engine pictured in the first post above is a turbo-shaft engine. A different drive setup than the ones for airplanes.

The idea would be to get it to turn a waterprop like a full size unlimited hydroplane... ;)

Hi Guys

Its likely that one set-up for a helicopter (they are very popular rigt now) would be much easier to use. They use a power take-off and run through a gearbox. I wouldn't hang by the neck waiting for the price to come down and be more affordable though as manufacturing wise they are very expensive to produce. You really need the precision if it is going to last more than 5 mins.

Thomas Hasenbein from Germany, affiliated with MHZ has been building on a turbine driven boat for more then a year now. It's not ready to hit the water yet but looks promising, with lots of extra's such as afterburner ( well flame thrower), double cordless camera's, gearboxdriven props, naviagtion light , etc. I think the boat he is building it in is a no mercy. Last time I spoke him he coplained had to do a lot of the machining/engineering himself.

Julius

Back