82U55 Set up

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Betke

Supporting Member
I'm finishing up a Phil Thomas 82U55 hull and was looking for some tips on the strut set up. Directions say 1 inch deep. Is anybody running any angle on their strut?

Also the the directions say to cut the strut off flush with the transom. Is this legal, or do you still need to allow for the drive dog? I thought IMPBA rules stated that you had to have the drive dog under the boat.

Thanks for any help.

Go with that setup info, best setups I know racing now are Mike Schindlers and Mike Z. Not sure what is modded on the bottom but they run pretty good as is. The strut cannont be past the back of the transom unless the real boat strut was past the transom as in the lastest boats. Adjust the ride with the strut angle and depth, add some weight to the left front sponson tied up inside the flotation tube.

Phil, The rule book says that the drive dog must not extend beyond the transom unless the prototypes strut and/or drive dog did so. So I guess I am asking if the real boat had the drive dog extended past the transom.

How much weight is a good starting point for the sponson?

Thanks

The drive dog stays under the boat,use a straight edge and get it as far back as you can SUCKS Id start with 10 oz in the left front sponson. I will measure my strut for you. I run a tongue less x457x3 and a very long pipe 12 1/2. you will also want to block some air under the deck. Watch my vid http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=51646 these boats are killers in the corners more corner speed than anything out there

Mike,

My drive dog is UNDER the boat..

Just so you know.. my boat has 4deg sponsons. I have 12oz over the left sponson and a turn fin the size of the state of Texas.

Quite technical eh!

Grim

Phil, The rule book says that the drive dog must not extend beyond the transom unless the prototypes strut and/or drive dog did so. So I guess I am asking if the real boat had the drive dog extended past the transom.

Thanks
Well there are no pictures of the strut on those boats but I think all of them had the strut under the boat. You could put the prop under the boat, but the rule says drive dog under the boat Not sure on the weight, maybe 4-6 oz to start 12 would be the most I think.
yes this is the IMPBA rule,

The drive dog must not extend beyond the transom unless the prototype's strut and/or drive dog

did so. Photo documentation may be requested for proof by race CD or district scale director.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks
Well there are no pictures of the strut on those boats but I think all of them had the strut under the boat. You could put the prop under the boat but the rule allows you to be behind the transom just keep the strut under the boat. Not sure on the weight, mabey 4-6 oz to start 12 would be the most I think.
The drive dog must not extend beyond the transom unless the prototype's strut and/or drive dog did so. Photo documentation may be requested for proof by race CD or district scale director. Just so you know

Thanks
Well there are no pictures of the strut on those boats but I think all of them had the strut under the boat. You could put the prop under the boat but the rule allows you to be behind the transom just keep the strut under the boat. Not sure on the weight, mabey 4-6 oz to start 12 would be the most I think.
The drive dog must not extend beyond the transom unless the prototype's strut and/or drive dogdid so. Photo documentation may be requested for proof by race CD or district scale director. Just so you know
yea i was thinking of sport boat rule.

Thanks guys for all the info. That helps a lot.

This boat is for the kid, so I'm trying to get as many of the set up tips done before he mashes the gas on it. Hopefully will see water this weekend.

One thing to keep in mind as you tune the boat.

With the supplued sponson AOA the boat will have a tendency to run on the transom, there is a good chance you are not going to be able to tune it out. When the boat "breaks free" it usually results in a blow over.

As you get some time on the boat think about modifying the AOA.. you will find HUGE gains in the boat by doing this.

Grimracer

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I love about I.W. , even though we are all very competetive when we hit the water we are still willing to openly share information to help others with there boats. Here you have a some of the best in our hobby sharring what makes them fast , great stuff guys. B)

Tim

Mine were 1.8 deg...
That's low. have you had any problems keeping it on the water with the 4* fronts?

My buddies Supertest was built from Newton plans and likes to fly at the speeds run today. He filled in part of the front "ramp", lowered the attack to 3* and cut out part of the ride pad to spill more air. Starting to work good now with a 1457... :)

Done blowed it off one time.. my fault as I had to make a quick left to avoid a dead boat.

Thanks Tim.. I waters is great folks!

Grim

Mine were 1.8 deg...
That's low. have you had any problems keeping it on the water with the 4* fronts?

My buddies Supertest was built from Newton plans and likes to fly at the speeds run today. He filled in part of the front "ramp", lowered the attack to 3* and cut out part of the ride pad to spill more air. Starting to work good now with a 1457... :)
Mike Z. not sure how you measure the sponson angle but they are 3 degree on a new hull. You did make the angle more and it helped your boat run better.

Back