55, 56, 57 chevy

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob miller

was watching a car show and they made reference to the term "shoebox" on a 55 chevy , what is a shoebox ?...thanks...bob

Last edited by a moderator:
was watching a car show and they made reference to the term "shoebox" on a 55 chevy , what is a shoebox ?...thanks...bob
Sombody is very wrong about that. Shoe boxes where only term used on 49-51 fords two door sadans, Heres and pic of one and on this website explains that tearm.

It might be you then Missy, 55-57 Chevies were called shoe boxes when I was a kid, and I would be willing to bet I was a kid long before you were! :D

Sombody is very wrong about that. Shoe boxes where only term used on 49-51 fords two door sadans, Heres and pic of one and on this website explains that tearm.

It might be you then Missy, 55-57 Chevies were called shoe boxes when I was a kid, and I would be willing to bet I was a kid long before you were! :D
you might be older then me,but my hubby has worked on them. does customized paint and body work on street rods. Just got done working on a 33 plymonth coupe last week..But the term was origionally used on the 49-51 fords two door sadans only. Joe never heard that used on a 55-57 chevy. when somebody mentions shoe box in street rod term they this 49-51 fords two door sadans

Last edited by a moderator:

you might be older then me,but my hubby has worked on them. does customized paint and body work on street rods. Just got done working on a 33 plymonth coupe last week..But the term was origionally used on the 49-51 fords two door sadans only. Joe never heard that used on a 55-57 chevy. when somebody mentions shoe box in street rod term they this 49-51 fords two door sadans

If you say so. Go to the library and look at some 70's and 80's vintage Hot Rod, Car Craft, and assorted street rod publications.

Miss Hydro, once again, you have absolutely no clue as to what your talking about here. A 55-57 chevy is a shoe box.........

Miss Hydro, once again, you have absolutely no clue as to what your talking about here. A 55-57 chevy is a shoe box.........
Ok I was wrong. Did some more digging around the net found a club for 55-57 chevy shoebox. Back in the early 90's you say shoebox to street rodders around this area and they say 49-51 fords 2 door sadans. Never heard a 55-57 chevy being called shoebox. Give them time,there be calling any 2 door business sadans a shoebox. And now I'd just found out last year american street rod association just changed there classicfication on street rods. Any car that is older them 30 years old and been moditfied can be conciter a street rod.That just made my hubby happy.

Yup, the 55-57 Chebbies were known as Shoeboxes.

The NSRA has also opened up their Nat's to newer cars. The Street Rod Nat's North this year here in town has now opened up the event to Post-War customs (after 1949). I didn't go to the show this year as I was in Hobart but it's held about 2 miles from my house as the crow flies.

I never heard of 49-51 Fords referenced to as Shoeboxes. I'm not saying that they couldn't have been though but the Stovebolts are more likely what most people would think of.

shoebox has been a term used for different cars throughout the years. Some refer to the Regal (Grand Nationals, GNX) as ShoeBox's as well.

Back