3.5 water pick up

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Ron D.

My question is ....... how far below the cavitation plate does the water pick-up need to be on a K&B 3.5 lower unit? I notice that on my unit the 1440 prop will touch the pick-up at it's current length and I want to shorten it BUT I don't want it to be in-effective either. Plus, in the back of my mind I am thinking the shorter the pick-up less drag.

Thanks,

Ron

Ron

Lets see what we can do.

I have found that the pickup located on the right side of the prop works best. (viewed from the back of the boat) It only needs to stick down about 3/16" or so to work well. If you are thinking about racing the motor and it happens that it is the stock class that you are after then you have to leave the pickup in the stock location.

I Unless the pick up is way way deep it will not slow the boat.

Runnning a water cooled K+B in the stock class prop blade clearance has been a problem for me in the past also. The best i can say is that close only counts in horse shoes, hand gernaids and model boat props.

One quick safety tip: Never launch the boat as if to hold on with both hands in front of you. Mister happy could get be-headed. Think side arm!! ;D

Grimracer

;D

We had a guy crank one like that Grim... Now he has the nickname "Finger" :eek: !!!!!!!

Billy R.

The water pickup really doesn't need to extend very far beneath the plate if it in the stock location. I think mine is only a 1/16" - 1/8". The 1440 prop will hit a stock brass tube pickup. That's how the present depth was established.

JD

Ron

If you need to stick with "stock" rules, you can always remove material from the front of the prop hub to move the prop foreward on the drive dog. Then you don't have to even worry about relocating the water pick up.

I have something on this matter to. When placing a large prop we don't have the place on the shaft to put a piece fuel line between the prop and the nut. Do you guys do the trick above of do you have a different solution? (self locking nuts or someyhing?)

I dont use a nut. I only use tight fitting fuel line on the shaft, But if you want to use one , then yes removing material from the hub (front or back or both) will give you the room you need to use a nut and tubing.

Latest posts

Back