*** 2013 Atlanta Spring Nationals = April 13th & 14th (NOW ACCEPTING ENTRIES) ***

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Joe W. I see you kicking around the Huntsville race in May...I think that is when Andy's Nitro Hydro race is suppose to be. So why don't you see if you guys in Ala. can fit that into your schedule...I know you and Julian would not want to miss that one. I know it is in Fl. but not by much. I like to call it South Ga. but hey...It is Andy's race,that is a person I do not mind helping to put on a good race. JMO
...Well the weekends are filling up quick With Mothers day and Memorial day weekend being in May it dont leave much room to race.
yes everything is South Georgia til you get south of Gainesville Fl... That is about where the temp lines changes When i`am headed south......

Last edited by a moderator:
Q: Is it possible to get all those heats done and a Shootout done in 2 days ?

A: YEP!!! We have done over 300 boats and 180 heats in two days. When you come to ATL be ready to race because the first heat starts before 8AM and the clock starts for the next heat when the retrieve boat hits the dock!!! B)

Lamar

Q: Is it possible to get all those heats done and a Shootout done in 2 days ?

A: YEP!!! We have done over 300 boats and 180 heats in two days. When you come to ATL be ready to race because the first heat starts before 8AM and the clock starts for the next heat when the retrieve boat hits the dock!!! B)

Lamar
Very good , I've heard some great feedback since about 1995 of this race but never can make it for many different reasons . Hope to make it and run with you guys some time for sure . :) You don't have to worry about me being up early and ready to race !! :D 4:30 am every day even on vacation ! :D Have fun and thanks for including all the Nitro boats !

Tom,

You are quite welcome welcome! We are VERY pleased at the turnout this year. I raced Nitro w/ my entire family back in the late 80's / early 90's then got out uf the hobby until around 2002 or so. Gas was VERY popular in ATL at the time so that's the route we went this go round (we needed somebody to race).

There are pros and cons to both... It's all toy boat racing to me!

Hopefully you can join us next year!

Lamar

You are right Lamar. You were a kid back in those days with no fear!!!!!! Your Dad Don was always a hoot and a serious competitor. I think he ran a Sightler or Twincraft mono back in those days against the likes of Tony Psalmonds(spelling), Randy Dicks, John Finch, Larry Squires, Joe Lovelace, Ed and Barb Knudson, Steve Speas, the list goes on. I left in the mid 90's and just returned at that race two years ago. The Spring Nats has always been one of my favorite races. The nitro entries back then were close to 300 each race so I am glad to see the numbers coming back...... ;)

This is going to be a great race.

We need Foley,Canto and a Few More Twins from Florida.
Can't swing it Joe , funds and it is the same weekend as our River Ranch Hotboat gathering in Lake Wales that I put on . Is it possible to get all those heats done and a Shootout done in 2 days ?
Tom, Bummer you cannot bring your Fleet of boats up!!! We like Good / Fast Competition... Atlanta`s Spring attendance has been thru a slump but the Nitro Guys are Still Wanting to Race & I can Only Promise the Air will be THICK with NITRO!!!!!

Couple more who who Hoosiers signing up tomorrow. I just hope to dip my prop in the water before I make the drive

Bring More HOOSIERS!!!!! I looked back thru all the boaters entered...... It is Going to be a GREAT RACE!! Mono, Hydro, Sport classes & Nitro Twin.. Bring your Good Motors!!! & Plenty of Fuel.... & a Fast Boat, All will be required to carry home any hardware from this race.

You are right Lamar. You were a kid back in those days with no fear!!!!!! Your Dad Don was always a hoot and a serious competitor. I think he ran a Sightler or Twincraft mono back in those days against the likes of Tony Psalmonds(spelling), Randy Dicks, John Finch, Larry Squires, Joe Lovelace, Ed and Barb Knudson, Steve Speas, the list goes on. I left in the mid 90's and just returned at that race two years ago. The Spring Nats has always been one of my favorite races. The nitro entries back then were close to 300 each race so I am glad to see the numbers coming back...... ;)

This is going to be a great race.
Ron you are correct on everything except the boats. Those were Youngbloods that the Huff family used to run. They used to carry a van full of them. That was when Lamar was running the kids category. That was when you used to come to Knoxville looking for some of the best tunnel boat racing around. Leecraft all the way.

A tunnel hull heat in Knoxville with Bob Davis, Terry Moore, Ron Shaw, and Tommy Lee was always a good race.

Out of the 214 boats entered as of this post 119 of them are nitro boats ;-) that's good numbers in my book

You guys are taking me for a stroll down memory lane... I remember all those names! I know I wasn't old enough to drive when we first started racing, but had my learners permit by the time we got out. We had a BLAST back in the day... Loaded up the van with my Mom & Dad, two younger brothers, two of Dad's buddies (and they had 1 son each that raced). They would pull us out of school early on Friday and we would head out!!!

I think at the peak we had 18-20 Youngblood monos amongst us. Dad was buying glow plugs by the double handful and Nitro by the 55 gallon drum (mixed his own fuel). For the life of me I don't know how he kept all those boats up and running!!!

Ron, you are right... When Dad is footing the bill and tells you "go win --- another boat is only a phone call away" it's a lot easier to drive it like you stole it!!!

Lamar

Hey Lamar,

I can still recall the pre-Youngblood days, and when the Sightler hull and Finch were NEW !!!

You can always "drive 'em like you stole 'em" when you are not responsible for the cost or maintenance. I'm trying to figure out how to fit a Classic Thunderboat (CT), 1/8th Scale, Sport 40 + support equipment - - two people, 2 small dogs and luggage into a, smaller vehicle we bought my wife.

If I can't, Rick Bellinger says he has Loaner Scale and Sport 40 for me to RACE. One is a boat I built, the Sport 40 would be a Thomas SS 45 with a mexican beer sponsorship name on it. IF you are in Mexico, NEVER drink the water - - beer is mostly water., so why the Sam Hill would I drink that. I have SOME pride left. May just have to do that: RUN "EM LIKE I STOLE "EM. Har, Har !!!

Mikey,

Glad to see you and Jeff are coming, I'm looking forfard to meeting you finally. HG may do Crown, RB and I do Demon Jamaican Rum - - start training program BE READ !!!! Are we going to see a Tide, Jeff?????

CHEERS !!! Bob

When Rick loans you a boat he expects you to RACE it!!! He has butted heads with Doug Smock driving a loaner boat on more than one occasion... Never seen him come off the stand w/o a big grin on his face (even after an uh-oh involving BOTH of his boats)...

Glad you are making the long drive to come ond play with us!

Thanks,

Lamar

You guys are taking me for a stroll down memory lane... I remember all those names! I know I wasn't old enough to drive when we first started racing, but had my learners permit by the time we got out. We had a BLAST back in the day... Loaded up the van with my Mom & Dad, two younger brothers, two of Dad's buddies (and they had 1 son each that raced). They would pull us out of school early on Friday and we would head out!!!

I think at the peak we had 18-20 Youngblood monos amongst us. Dad was buying glow plugs by the double handful and Nitro by the 55 gallon drum (mixed his own fuel). For the life of me I don't know how he kept all those boats up and running!!!

Ron, you are right... When Dad is footing the bill and tells you "go win --- another boat is only a phone call away" it's a lot easier to drive it like you stole it!!!

Lamar
Whats a Youngblood?????? It has always been SEADUCER?????????

Lamar Put me in Open Offshore...... Channel # 87.... alt 85 ....Thanks Joe Warren.

ohhh ohhh the boss is going to join the fun ha ha i knew you could not resist. glad you are onboard

Hey Lamar,

That low life Bellinger told me he was going to have Doug drive his KW3 and let Doug lake care of his light work for him. Not a good idea to mess with the Olde Goat that builds most of his hydros. Don't you think he needs more respect for his Elders?? Har, Har !!!

My pleasure to be able to attend your race after all these years. It will be the first time for me, even when I was living in Florida. Not any Scale or Sport 40 interest here in Texas any more - they've mostly gone to gas - literally. Tejas BBQ and Mexican will do that for you.

Bellinger's task is to find a VERY good BBQ place. My favorite in the world is Shorty's Bar-B-Q in Miami. Shorty was a Southern Georgia lad that made some FINE Bar-B-Q. If Bellinger lets me down, can I count on you for guidance Lamar ??? Har, Har !!!!

Don't know if I should burst Joe Warren's bubble or not BUT: - - - There have been many good Monos and Hydros over the years other than Seaducers and Roadrunners. Twin Craft, Sightler, Muck, Prather, Cal Craft, Youngblood Monos come to mind very quickly. With camfer sponson tops, a Road Runner looks a lot like a Coyote doesn't it??? Ask Bobby Caudill where they came from, Joe.

I'm looking forward to the race Lamar, just have to work out a couple boats or I'll be drivin' , LIKE I STOLE 'em a Corona beer wagon and a KWWW U-4. OK, the KW3 looks a lot better now, than it did when I raced it. I can fix that. CHEERS !!! Bob

Latest posts

Back