2007 IMPBA NOISE CHANGE

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stationary testing does sound like the most logical way to determine the actual noise level being produced.

The AMA way does eliminate all of the variables that come into play with the different sites.

This way,you can actually set your boat up at home and test for noise instead of running to the pond and all of the measuring and setbacks.Even at your local pond,you're still lost when you go to a different venue to race.

If you won't go to stationary testing,I'd almost see a need for a test boat to be sent to all of the different sites,along with a box and a DB meter and record the findings from different sites. Than a chart should be added into the rule book stating the findings. You can have the site name and something like +2db or +7db and -3db. That way if you're in Atlanta and you know your boat is at 89db,next race in in Ohio,the factor chart can tell you if you need to work a little harder on the noise before you even go to Ohio.

This would eliminate the element of surprise when you fire up your boat someplace new.

This present way of water testing is way too complicated and again,too many variables from venue to venue.

What are the downsides to stationary testing? Besides a little more work for the race officials.

The noise wars are getting old now,too many other sanctioning bodies already have figured out how to control this problem.Why do we need a different way to do it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually the idea of the tolerance would accept the variations in methods and deviation in accuracy of the measurement due to different equipment and settings...

the idea of the tolerance is not to allow someone to then go above the ruled number, the actual number would have to actually be lowered to say 90db +4db and you would be expected to comply with the 90db, but the tolerance of up to 94 would be used WITHOUT penalty(to ensure that your measurement and the next measurement are reasonably the same).... anything above the 94 would result in penalty.

Every racer is responible for ensuring that they can comply within the rules and most are well below it.... there are the FEW that wish to push to the exact limit of every rule and then complain when they are caught being outside the rules and use every excuse under the sun on why they shouldnt have to comply with what EVERYONE else is capable of complying with.

I am also not sure of the actual footage that the AMA uses, I know that when the DNR comes out and measures the sound at one of our fields, he stands in the parking lot about 35 feet away from the flight line and takes his measurement as you are flying around... it is, after all, that point in time that you may or may not be offending your neighbors. If you are over the parks noise limit, he grounds the plane. If you are caught flying that plane again while it is over, you may be subjected to a $$$$$ fine.

I suppose we could say that all measurements will be made directly behind the boat at 10 feet while at full rpm on the starting stand.... no variation there... 10 feet behind the boat is 10 feet... the only error here could be the variations in the accuracy of the equipment.... I am not a sound engineer but I would bet that you would have to be a lot quieter to pass a 92db sound measurement like that than a 92db sound measurement at xx feet while running on the water....

The problem I see at this point is who are you going to convince to wind up their engines while sitting on the starting table for a period of time long enough to take a sound measurement?

Quite honestly, I would rather take the measurement with my boat under way from a directed distance.... the surroundings are only going to help MUFFLE the actual sound coming from the craft.... much of the vibration and hull noise is absorbed by the water, the air, the wind etc.... a dry measurement will read all of those noises and only make you have to lower your sound emissions that much more....

Oh and in the paper recently.... the local police are driving by using db meters to write tickets to vehicle owners and home owners that are playing music too loud..... the noise ordinance is what it is, the variations in measurement are inconsiquential when given a ticket... you get to pay or go to court and try to convince a judge that you were not too loud and it must have been an inaccuracy in the method or distance in which the officer took the measurement..... good luck with that one.

Anyhow, I thought I would throw some ideas in the pot to be consumed and considered, then used or discarded. I have done that so that's all I have to say on the subject. I would be willing to offer further clarification of my ideas if anyone is interested.

Bill

Joe,

Thanks for posting your proposal. Mr. Zuber contacted me earlier and informed me you would be providing him a new copy. This is much better. Take out the middleman. I think this proposal would work very well.

Don,

Sorry I missed that earlier. I'm glad somebody agrees with the notion of static measurement. I really think it would solve ALOT of problems with the current situation.

Walt,

I think you'd be suprised about the other organisations. I was informed yesterday by a boater in Florida that they hardly EVER see a dB meter, yet nobody seems to have a problem with noise. I wonder why that is........... :rolleyes:

Tom M.,

You and others might call it complaining. I call it giving the old ball a KICK and getting it rolling. This is all I really wanted all along.

NOW, let just see if we can untie this knot in time for the next round of voting.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Joe,
Thanks for posting your proposal. Mr. Zuber contacted me earlier and informed me you would be providing him a new copy. This is much better. Take out the middleman. I think this proposal would work very well.

Don,

Sorry I missed that earlier. I'm glad somebody agrees with the notion of static measurement. I really think it would solve ALOT of problems with the current situation.

Walt,

I think you'd be suprised about the other organisations. I was informed yesterday by a boater in Florida that they hardly EVER see a dB meter, yet nobody seems to have a problem with noise. I wonder why that is........... :rolleyes:

Tom M.,

You and others might call it complaining. I call it giving the old ball a KICK and getting it rolling. This is all I really wanted all along.

NOW, let just see if we can untie this knot in time for the next round of voting.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros
Joe at what speed would the throttle be set?

Ok, you guys said you wanted a place to discuss this. You have now had 6 pages to do that. If you wish to continue please do so but not here. I honestly feel this caused a lot more harm than good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back