2005 IMPBA INTERNATS

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well so far everyone has volunteered other club's sites and no one has stepped up to volunteer thier own club. How about Old Dominion? Come on Don and Preston what about it?

Bill is right we need a club to step up and do this. Please talk to your club members and submit a proposal as soon as possible. I wish the minnesota club had a bigger site, they have a great site but not much shoreline to put tents around. I will have a talk with them soon.

maybe a couple of clubs could band together and put on the nats. More bodies makes the work much easier.

Talk to ya all soon.

Brian Nelsen

IMPBA Vice President

Zuber,

The real question is if you are elected president what will you do to insure that there is a 2005 internats?

Allen

AWaddle322 said:
Zuber, The real question is if you are elected president what will you do to insure that there is a 2005 internats?

Allen

70429[/snapback]

Or to both of the Write-ins on this site. what about the IMPBA pond project at the AMA HQ in Muncie, IN?

Yes, I still remember contributing money towards that a few years back. There was talk at the time of holding an Internat's race there because of it's central location.

Still the big question right now is, will there be a 2005 Internats?

Ron Olson said:
AWaddle322 said:
Zuber, The real question is if you are elected president what will you do to insure that there is a 2005 internats?

Allen

70429[/snapback]

Or to both of the Write-ins on this site. what about the IMPBA pond project at the AMA HQ in Muncie, IN?

Yes, I still remember contributing money towards that a few years back. There was talk at the time of holding an Internat's race there because of it's central location.

Still the big question right now is, will there be a 2005 Internats?

70437[/snapback]

Ron the AMA lake site program is dead and has been for 2 years the site location was going to be next to an apartment complex so you know that would never fly! :rolleyes: Sorry I couldn't resist. But as far as insuring there will be a 2005 Internats there is nothing a President can really do if no clubs or group of clubs steps up to the plate. In the past the board has put on an Internats at a volunteered site but we havn't even got a club/site wanting to do that. At least not that I have heard from. Last time this was done was at the 1999 Internats here in Huntsville.

What I would like to know is where all the money went to for the AMA pond? :angry: :angry: :angry: KEN

It is in the general funds A few years ago I went through all of the past minutes to when the fund had been started to figure just what the fund consisted of and made the suggestion to the board to break it out into a seperate catagory but I was out voted and the fund was absorbed into the general funds. Reason given was there was no way to redistribute the donations back to the general membership. I believe Noel still has the amount listed in the books. If elected I would have the amount broken out and kept in a seperate catagory until the membership can decide how to distribute it. It was not that much!

It should be up to the board to come up with some options on distribution and the membership decides on which option to use.

Bill Zuber

Bill

You stole all my answers to those questions :D My interent access has been down all day and still is I am on the home computer tonight.

Bill is right the president can't really do much about the internats except call clubs and talk to them about holding it. That is what I am doing now but its been tough.

talk later

Brian Nelsen

IMPBA Vice President

bzubee said:
.... In the past the board has put on an Internats at a volunteered site but we havn't even got a club/site wanting to do that.  At least not that I have heard from.  Last time this was done was at the 1999 Internats here in Huntsville.
70441[/snapback]

For the record, it wasn't "the board" who did this in '99, it was Dick Tyndall. Dick & Priscilla worked their a$$es off to round up help to pull this off. Yes some of "the board" did help us out but it was after a whole lot of phone calls & requests. There were very few pure "volunteers", they can probably be counted on both hands with a few fingers left over. There were more general members who stepped up to the task when asked like Ron Byrd & some of his gang, Dara Oney (man she worked hard) & other names I can't remember at the moment (sorry). I've always believed in giving credit when due but most of "the board" sat on their hands until pressured into helping out....... <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
bzubee said:
Well so far everyone has volunteered other club's sites and no one has stepped up to volunteer thier own club.  How about Old Dominion?  Come on Don and Preston what about it?
70426[/snapback]

Well for openers until all the surrounding school construction is done we couldn't even consider it. :blink:

Don and Preston, I think we could hold it here in dist 12 at the Cenntennial lake site with the combination help of the D.C. club,ODMBA, and the Baltimore boat club, they seem to be pleased with the races we have had there and with the local politicians happy to have us there we should grab the opportunity.

bsmtboy2 said:
Don and Preston, I think we could hold it here in dist 12 at the Cenntennial lake site with the combination help of the D.C. club,ODMBA, and the Baltimore boat club, they seem to be pleased with the races we have had there and with the local politicians happy to have us there we should grab the opportunity.
70522[/snapback]

This topic has been brought up & tabled for now. They are not ready for a 10 day onslaught of boaters in that park just yet. The Baltimore club tried unsuccessfully for many years to get into that park & the LAST thing we want is to jepardize what Larry & the D.C club have acomplished. It will be a viable option, just not right yet.......... B)

Here's a suggestion... One that I tried once before and got zero support, but well worth consideration. I think...

Why doesn't the IMPBA or membership assign an Internats co-ordinator? Someone that's commited to pulling off the biggest and best event of the year. A salesman or promoter as such. Someone that can sell fridges to eskimos. You know, an Andy Loften or speed wagon promotor, Roger Hooks Jr. No offence guys. Lets offer some real incentive for a club to host the Nats.

Offer any club the opportunity to host a well organized, well planned money maker and they'll be chomping at the bit to step forward. Don't expect them to carry the complete burden. Ask them to provide manpower, the best possible site with a set standard of expectation and let them reap the benefits of their work. A first class event with no chance to fail. What a concept!

Too many times we've been asking the same question about "where are the next Nats going to be". Lets be proactive and not reactive.

Just a thought...

Ron

Ron

Great Idea, we would have to find such a person before we can have them do the job. This could be away of doing it have an international regatta director position in the IMPBA. I will look into this more and get back to you all.

Any good promoters or sales men out there willing to look into this please e-mail me ASAP. This one can't wait till after the election.

Brian Nelsen

IMPBA Vice President

Brian: I have lots of great ideas. Here's another one I tried but didn't get a real warm and fuzzy feeling from. Maybe I posted on the wrong board? In order to not put too much strain on the host club. I would make each District Director responsible for their own piece of the Nats and work closely with the co-ordinator. The Director would be responsible to recruit help from his district. District 1 take the banquet, 2's in charge of hospitality, 3 the retrieve boat etc etc. Leaving the co-ordinator to oversee and look for sponsors. Again, a host club that gets help, and makes money. WOW! I can hear the bids coming in already. Just for the record... I'm a worker or leader but not a salesman.

Ron

Ron

Once again we are on the same wave length, I to think that the board should help the host club as much as possible. I have seen the strain that hosting this race can cause. If there are more helpers than the strain is relieved. That is why it may be a good idea for more than one club to team up on the event. Again it adds more bodies to spread out the work.

I will keep looking at this and if there is a club that is interested please contact me I will help you figure out how to make it work.

Brian Nelsen

IMPBA Vice President

Don Ferrette said:
bzubee said:
Well so far everyone has volunteered other club's sites and no one has stepped up to volunteer thier own club.   How about Old Dominion?  Come on Don and Preston what about it?
70426[/snapback]

Well for openers until all the surrounding school construction is done we couldn't even consider it. :blink:

70498[/snapback]

Fresh can of worms just opened!

In reality our current site does not have the pit and park areas sufficient for this event. Our Invitational of 100 boats had the lake site full of tents and trailers. we were close to maximum then. I do know of a lake very close that would be an excellent location. The city had approached me before about getting some usage out of it.

Now for the worms................... [SIZE=21pt]I[/SIZE] (did I say I?) get [SIZE=21pt]STUCK[/SIZE] (did I say stuck?) with about 98-100% of all responsibilities concerning our 10 club races, the 2 day Invitational, ordering bouys, ordering 2 sets of trophies, hosting 2 record trials, getting port-a-potties, scheduling our awards banquet, keeping our equipment in working condition and maintaining our site/course. Ummm, Internats? No thanks. I can point you in the direction of the lake and I would certainly help. Ah, "help" would be another one to put in the "misconceptions" thread.

I thought of some more worms, forking out all the money to front these events, trying to remeber who didn't pay (remembered that last night), lugging 75+ lbs of timing equipment first thing in the morning and lastly at night and then back to be shipped, staying up to all hours to enter scores, and one of the best is having to listen to people gripe over something they won't do themselves, listening to people asking "did you do ............?", no, "why didn't you?", "did you look to see?"

Ok, no more soap box.

Back