2005 IMPBA INTERNATS

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ron

I don't think support was the reason Elmira backed away from holding

the 2005 Internats.

At one of thier races this year they were asking for a commitment from people so I asked Pete to put my name on that list and there were a lot of names already on it from what I was told it was more of a lack of time to properly prepare and that they may put in a bid for 2006, but I may be wrong.

When they last held it thier club reaped all the benifits financially but the district reaped all the rewards.

Tim K

That's right Don. I was there when they discussed it before the bid went in. It wasn't that they wouldn't do TT but that they would not offer it in the format that everyone would run. Only the percentage thing. Like I said... I'm sure Pete would be up for a "big race". What would be the difference to him? He gets 200 plus boats now. I love that site!

Ron

Tim: You could be right. I was there as well when the list went around. I remember Pete saying that if they got enough commitment they would put in the bid for 2005 Internats. I guess I assumed they didn't have the support they were looking for because they decided against it. I wasn't aware they were concerned about a time issue. Surely a year is enough.

Ron

I agree Ron a year is practically a life time LOL and there could

be more to it but I havent had a chance to speak with Pete since the shoot .

Tim K

Here's a novel approach. "2005 IMPBA Internats Hosted by International Waters". We could pick a site and put on the race with the members of this forum. 25% of the net earnings goes to the site and the rest goes to the forum for upkeep. This could work real well for clubs that don't have the man power to run a race. We could have a poll to determine the format and location.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Joe, that's a novel idea! We'd need a site, probably around the Chicago area with lots of room. Chicagoland Speedway? Yeah, maybe I'm talking out of my butt again. :huh:

The problem that I would see with multiple clubs holding the Internats would be a power struggle. Yes, it can happen. One club does too much, others not enough in peoples eyes.

The Int'l Waters Model Boat Club? :)

Ron Olson said:
The problem that I would see with multiple clubs holding the Internats would be a power struggle. Yes, it can happen. One club does too much, others not enough in peoples eyes.
The Int'l Waters Model Boat Club? :)

70901[/snapback]

I'm not thinking clubs. I'm thinking members forming a team to run the race. That's why I said the site gets the 25%. Nothing to a club. We would be renting the site basically.

I don't think I could be the lead man on that myself..... I just not in a position to be able to make that big of a commitment.

first we would need to register as a club and then get members.....

We need the candidates on this one. It would be a first for sure, a web site holding the race. We'd have to make it a club with officers and have people that are OKed to be CD's.

We need to have a chat session soon for those that may be interested. Having a site at a reasonable distance to the club members would be a necessity and people willing to donate time and the gear needed to put on the race.

I don't know the specifics of what else would be needed.

While I love the gung-ho attitudes let's not get ahead of ourselves. This still will require the "blessing" of the IMPBA board & the last time a site offered to hold it w/o T/T's (Elmira) it was rejected. :huh:

I think like that the internats, should be based on racing like don said.. I can see that people such as myself like to run the time trials, but in all reality why.. The boats you bring are not for records, they are to race.

If I was to suggest anything it would be this.

Run a week long event of racing say 5 days, however many rounds you could run and not strain yourself.. then on the last day take the top 6 in each class, and run say 2 maybe 3 rounds and who ever has the best overall points in the last day, they are your us-1 winner.

T/T are cool, but we don't drive all over the country to race.

What does everyone else think????

Don, without another club to step in, a group like us might have the upper hand if they want an Internat's in 2005. A nice chunk of our membership money goes to help put the Internat's on every year, the members need to have more say-so on how things are run. What is it, $2,000.00 goes to the host club to put on the race?

Ron Olson said:
Don, without another club to step in, a group like us might have the upper hand if they want an Internat's in 2005. A nice chunk of our membership money goes to help put the Internat's on every year, the members need to have more say-so on how things are run. What is it, $2,000.00 goes to the host club to put on the race?
71050[/snapback]

Hey Ron, I agree but just want everyone to realize it isn't a matter of saying let's do it & it's done. It has to be approved by our ever speedy & efficient board of directors..... <_<

Back