2002 AMPBA NATS

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twin_k90

Hey Guys, quick update,

my first day of practice is over, dumped in the back straight and smashed the cowl and broke water nipples off the motors, just waiting for the resin to dry on the cowl now!,

having handeling issues again, doing all funny **** :( made a few changes to the struts so ill see what happens tomorrow,

there are some quick boats there this year, most interstate people arnt here yet, tomorrow will be good!!

ill fill you guys in when i get around home again, will be staying at the G/F's place as it is 5min from the lake and no internet there :(

i may be a bit seedy tomorrow tho, big night at the horse races tonight!

talk soon!

Dale

;Dhey guys, back home fixing again, :(

worked out the handling issues, its pulled the booms out of the sponsons and the toe was all over the place, epoxed them back in but it broke again in the last run, i have just drilled and tapped the sponsons to take a 4mm bolt through the top into the boom to stop it pulling out hopefully it works,

broke the cowl in a spin out again, so im screwing the blocks to the front as well as glass them in!.

did some back to back runs with the H38's and 48's, pitched 38's were 1/2 a second a lap faster and the handeling was better :)

first day of racing tomorrow so we will see what happens

Tims 67 SG is going better and better all the time,

ian's (nitrocrased) mono is flying, and his humming bird is the ****!! 8) 8) 8) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

will probably be home again tomorrow night for a while before hitting the town with the racers!!

Guys i WON!!!! by 75 points, came down to the last heat, i had to win or it would have been a 3 way tie if i placed second, the twin is handeling good now, still need to find some speed in the turns, i was running small props to keep it reliable,

first heat was really really windy and rough, was leading by over half a lap, last lap one motor quit and limped around and it quit on the last corner, DNF ,

Second heat, got a good start on perfect water, no one really brough the heat on so i crused around cut one bouy, ,

Third heat, got a ok start was on the inside of the quickest twin there, held him out for 3 laps when he dunked in the back straight then crused to the victory,

forth heat, got a very average start and the motors were too rich, wouldnt come up properly, leaned it in and got second place by about 15 meters,

fifth heat had to win to win, got a top start pulled away and dodged the dead boat on bouy 2 then crused to victory!!

All in all i had a great week, with some close racing!!

Tim had a average weekend, boat was playing up and stopping on the last lap all the time, then hit a dead boat and damaged the SG, ill fix it and repaint it for him.

Nitrocrased got second with his Kingcraft mono/K90 combo the boat is very stable some bad luck cost him a few wins. his hummingbird is the **** very very fast!!!

Dale

great job Dale!

i hate that quitting on the last lap thing..... if i only had a doller for every time that happened to me :-

Tom,

it shits me to tears as well!! Espically when one motor keeps going till bouy 6 them stops!!

Nitrocrazed had the same thing happen with the weather, blowing a gail and made 4 laps on the last corner wind picked the boat up and threw it like it was nothing!!

Hammer,

Thanks Dude,

Prop jockey,

im feeling rather shitty this morning, must have knocked back 40 odd screwdrivers last night not feeling too good at all,.

Happy new year!

Hey Dale,

Stop swearing on here dude, this is a family show! :p

Yes, I got second with my K-90 powered Kingcraft. I would like to congratulate Tony Jones who won X mono, he drove very well and we had a couple of good clean races which I really enjoyed! Tony is a worthy champion once again! Next time, Tone! ;D

I had some bad luck, and also cost myself a finish with a lean run which spat the plug. I have more speed to come tho..... 8)

Congratulations Dale, he was very consistent which paid off! All that work was worth it!

I would like to thank the people who ran an excellent event, well done!

Ian.

Hey Ian,

Got the address and phone number for the plates we are after, that will increase your speed! less drag!!

then you can run a 3rd channel mixture,

being consistant is the key, and having good luck! it is the first time i have had good luck with the twin!

i have worked out i think why it drops a little speed in the turns, the turn fin is well foward of the cg, i need to make another bracket to move the fin back and see if that helps the turns, but at least the boat is going and not doing funny stuff like it used to,

Lots of people commented on how much it has improved since hunter valley, it was a piece of garbage there!!! big thanks to Tim D for that!!

Dale

Hit a dead boat with the SG???? ( Target fixation Tim?) :eek:

Oh man, Hope its not real bad, Sound's like a great buncha racin, So did anybody run tunnels? Hmmmmmm?

Gene ;D

Tim had a average weekend, boat was playing up and stopping on the last lap all the time, then hit a dead boat and damaged the SG, ill fix it and repaint it for him.
Average is not the word - The worst race meeting for me EVER! I had never hit a dead boat in 10 or so years of boat racing and I have to say it is not a nice feeling. I am going to replace all the damaged parts on the boat I hit which means I won't be able to buy myself a new motor for quite a while. I also had a borrowed fuel tank in my boat for that run to see if that fixed the stopping on the last lap problem and I smashed the tank in my boat so I have to replace that for another racer.

The mono lost a shaft and prop in the lake as well as a blown gear after the motor worked loose in the mount. DOH!

It was good to catch up with some of the guy's on this forum though - met Kris Flynn and Gary Tyrell (GTR), and also Ian (Nitrocrazed).

Congrats to Dale (twin k90) for a great drive in X hydro - managed to keep his cool and finish races even when there was a motor up for grab's for fastest heat time. Ian was a little unlucky and should have won X mono IMHO but he was beaten by a very good racer in Tony Jones (another intlwaters member). Paul "ozzy" won B hydro and C hydro (which gave him the high points trophy.) Intlwaters.com regulars did pretty well in general.

I'd like to say thanks to everyone who helped me out with the running of the event - it was the first Nationals I have been involved with running and the help was appreciated.

I'd also like to say thanks to our sponsors of the event but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to name them here.......

Tim.

Hey Gener,

The only tunnels that were racing were 90 Inboard tunnels.

No outboards at all ???

I took my little yellow tunnel with me to show Kris and that turned a few heads- should have run it in 21 hydro.

No outboard tunnels??? Well that gets me Nickers in a Bunch!!!!! :eek: He, He,

Nah, glad ya showed it to Kris, Smokin hull that one is!!!!

Gene ;D

I'm not sure but he might have got some pic's of it on the water.

Kris, are you back home yet? Post 'em if youv'e got 'em.

I saw TimD's tunnel, and while I dont like either tunnels or outboards, his was awesome! ;D

Gene, I think the outboard tunnels were killed by some of the politics of the people running them. Also the motors are no where near as cheap out here as they were 5 or 10 years ago....

Dale, yeah turn fin position is very important as well as shape! You need to reduce the slippage of the turn fin in corners. This reduces the 'yaw' of the hull in turns which creates a lot of drag and reduces the efficiency of the props (they are going sideways thru the water, you can hear the loading change on the motors in corners). If you look at the SG's or my Hummingbird the sideslip in corners is very low, so they drop little speed in the turns! Try that fin I sent you. Keep working on it...

I dont need 3rd channel needle in the mono, I just need to get used to the motor! My radio box lid was killed by pipe heat, I may have to make a new box with a lid lower at the front.

Ian.

Tim d's tunnel is awesome!!!

yes im going to give that one to pete and get one made that is slightly smaller, i think the one that you sent is a bit large for my boat and going off what is on it now, ill keep working on it and get it faster through the turns,

3rd channel is nice, i used it a lot in the last couple of races when the weather heated up and it wouldnt come on the pipes properly, it can be a hassle tho!

Dale

It's a shame I didn't get a chance to run the 1440 prop on it - it is even faster with that sucker on it but it handles like a dog.

I snapped a flex cable in the lawless and wasn't fast enough to get it back on the water before the diver went out for the 1/2 an SG that sank.

Hi TimD,

As I said in Sydney if Canberra is a go I will guarantee 7.5cc tunnels and 99% on 3.5cc tunnels, even if I have to supply them myself.

I am amused by the OB's are expensive and unreliable comments as I have had no dramas getting complete OB's or parts, and they haven't been too expensive. An example is the New Hotshot sprint and K&B 3.5OB that Kris Flynn got from me cost less than a MAC 3.5 IB - motor only. How can people call this dear to get in to? ???

Come down here guy's and have some fun.

GT ;D

Back