1994/95/96 Smokin Joe's

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for clearing that up Doug...that is a confusing picture to say the least, the airtrap in my build is full length as drawn in my plans

Len

Guys, Steve Woomer and U-10 team's quest to top Bernie's Bud team saw them try LOTS of things. The rear shoes were an off and on thing (mostly on) in '94 and '95 with big changes for '96 when the hull sides aft of the front sponson transoms changed and the rear shoes were gone for good. The "beer and cigarettes" battles were and still are some of my all time favorites.
default_cool.png
Guys, Don would know, the 96 was parked in his driveway!!!
default_wink.png
No comment from all the Scale gurus, never seen them trailer a boat with the wings on !!!!!!!

Hey Ray,

Quit playing with pics and get back to that U-50 - It is screaming to get wet. Get back to that motor mount. No Slack !!! Har, Har !!!

Things are not always as they seem. If you don't have good pics to document any particular point, you're pretty much S.O.L. Here's another misrepresented pic - literally a "Hanger Queen".

CHEERS !!! Bob

Cool pics Bob, I have those also somewhere around here. Wasn't it hanging over the Race Rock Cafe entrance somewhere in Florida?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah 4 or 5 - they auctioned all the stuff off. I have a ton of pics from the place, we used to stop on the way back from Daytona a couple times a year.

I'm thinkin' I shouldn't have posted those two pics. You gotta know someone will try to register that livery, with the comment: "But I have pics of it - - - - hanging for the ceiling - - - so it has to be real." It was simply omitted from the Master Hull Roster - Argh !!!!

Hey Don,

How about changing the name of the Bone Head that posted those two pics to "Anonymous". Har di Har !!!!

Great streaming video of the Sailfish Regatta from Stuart, FL today. Right up until the Final heat of Grand Prix, leading boat in jeopardy of being passed for the lead coming around the final turn and onto the front straioght - - - - and UstreamTv cuts to a bloody commercial. EEEEEEEE FRICKIN" YAAAAAAA!!!!!

CHEERS !!! Bob

Was the joe formerly the old winston lobster display boat? I remember seeing the winston lobster display boat in Seattle in about 1991 and the red was all faded and chaulkish.

Hey Rob,

Here's that faded, chaulky beastie in San Diego. Don't you wonder how many scale boaters were lead astray by this one. First indication it was a display only was the pick 'em up that hauled it around. CHEERS !!! Bob

Smokin' Joe's. Probably my second favorite color scheme.

almost convinced me to take up smoking when I was 17 (no, not really.)

I have two comments on this one:

Ray, various boats have been displayed with the wing installed many times over the years, going all the way back to the U-25 Pay'N Pak in 73. I found pictures of the 73 Pak, 81 Thousand Trails, 82 Atlas and 99 Madison on tilt with the wing installed just by googling Pay'N Pak hydroplane. In fact, the picture of the Madison is posted on the RCBC website.

Bob, just because a boat is pulled by a pickup doesn't necessarily mean it's just a display boat. The HARM routinely pulls boats to various events using standard 3/4 to 1 ton trucks. Since many 3/4 ton trucks can pull in excess of 10,000lbs and the modern boats are mandated at 6700, that gives a total weight under 10,000 including the trailer. One example of this is that after we finished restoring the Slo-Mo-Shun V back in 1994, we towed it from the shop to the Lake Washington pits and then from the pits to downtown Seattle, participated in the 2+ mile Seafair Torchlight Parade and back to the pits with a very tired 1 ton truck that was also carrying the restoration crew in the back for the whole trip. The boat was driven the following day by Dr Ken Muscatel in an exhibition run that almost had the good doctor pulled from the boat by a safety parachute that deployed without warning just prior to the boat's passing under the I-90 floating bridge.

99test20.bmp

Attachments

• 99test20.bmp
    2 MB · Views: 48
Hey Rob,

Here's that faded, chaulky beastie in San Diego. Don't you wonder how many scale boaters were lead astray by this one. First indication it was a display only was the pick 'em up that hauled it around. CHEERS !!! Bob
Ha Ha! I remember those pics coming up in a lively "discussion" a number of years back with someone who insisted that was not a display boat. Thanks for posted them Bob.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't that the one that got painted in Joe's colors and was hanging at the Race Rock in Florida before it closed?

Isn't that the one that got painted in Joe's colors and was hanging at the Race Rock in Florida before it closed?
Thats what I thought after seeing the pic of the Joe hanging upside down at the race rock cafe. I remember seeing the faded red winston lobster hull display boat in seattle and it only makes sense that it was painted a couple years later in Smokin Joes colors.

Guys, Steve Woomer and U-10 team's quest to top Bernie's Bud team saw them try LOTS of things. The rear shoes were an off and on thing (mostly on) in '94 and '95 with big changes for '96 when the hull sides aft of the front sponson transoms changed and the rear shoes were gone for good. The "beer and cigarettes" battles were and still are some of my all time favorites.
default_cool.png
Guys, Don would know, the 96 was parked in his driveway!!!
default_wink.png
No comment from all the Scale gurus, never seen them trailer a boat with the wings on !!!!!!!
Ray, they always trailer with the verticals, but not the horizontal,

Back