1984 Atlas Van Lines

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Strange

Hello all,

I just got hold of an old Aeromarine Miller American hull, and I would like to attempt converting it to a more scale version of the 1984 Atlas Van Lines. Some things I noticed that are out of scale:

1) It is missing the front ailerons (is that what they are called?)

2) where the hull begins just after the ailerons, between the sponsons and cockpit should be farther back...not sure this is worth messing with...

3) Everything aft of the cockpit is wrong...too tall, too wide and too heavy...and I am not sure what to think about the turbine exhaust stack, other that it needs to go!

4) something seems a bit odd about the rear wing. The height seems OK, but perhaps the wing is a bit short (side to side) and is a bit long front to back?

I have managed to scavenge some pictures of the 1984 Atlas from the internet but nothing I would consider "good". If anyone has any that they would like to share...it would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have much money invested in this hull so I am not worried about cutting into it. I really hope to learn a thing or two about working with fiberglass and painting more than anything.

AerMilAm 001.jpg

AerMilAm 002.jpg

Tim,

If its just for fun, go for it, but to make it look real and run good, I wouldnt waste your time, very mis-engineered hull.

Not trying to beat you down about it, just being honest.

B)

Joe, Yes it is for fun and the learning. I don't expect it to be of Concourse quality or set any speed records with it...I have heard that it is a 50mph hull...that's it 50mph! LOL.

I do think it would be possible to make a more convincing cowling and tail for it (and much lighter). Like I said, I didn't pay much for it...$30 and a FM radio...so I am not out much to begin with. Also, I'd rather mess this hull up by painting than a brand new $600 hull!

As far as it being a slow boat...I do wonder if there is anything that can be changed on the sponsons to help it out?

Brandon, that is pretty much the size of all the pics I have found of the Atlas...looks like a nice build though! BTW if there was anything scale about this things cowl, I could just shave that scoop off, instead I'll need to build everything behind the cowl from scratch. Fortunately, everything is angular which should make things easier for me. I am thinking light ply and some fiberglass should do the trick. I am thinking of making it a two-piece cowl also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Joe...will do

Figured I would post a few pics of the bottom. Those screws holding the massive strut bracket could be recessed to save a bit of drag. The blue tape shows where that lip runs down the bottom of the hull. I was thinking about trimming it back to where the bottom of the tape is. Just an idea...

For the record, the hull weighs 9 pounds including a turn fin and strut. One pound 3 ounces of that is the cowling.

AerMilAm 003.jpg

AerMilAm 004.jpg

AerMilAm 005.jpg

Dont cut that It is the airtrap. It is desinged to tunnel the air under the boat. 9#? seems heavy. The more air under it the better. Race ready should be around 15#. The lighter the better. Keep weight up front. Radio in the nose,engine as far forward as possible and fuel tanks in the middle.

I would start by getting the color sheet from Newton Marine, that will give you a place to start on a cowling. I have to agree, 24oz for a cowl is heavy. Don't trim the air traps, it needs to be there. The ailerons you refered to are called canards, with the fromnt half fixed in place, location wil be shown on the color sheet. The biggest problem with this boat is the ram wing location. It should be much further aft than it is now. The problem there is it would be nearly imposible to move without doing major surgery.

Bandit, where did you find that picture of Don Mock and his boat?

I Google Image 1984 Atlas Hydroplane an found it on this site. http://rcunlimiteds.org/webpages/ourboats/1984atlas.html
Should have figured that much :rolleyes:
Id practice my painting skills,then shoot a couple of screws in it< hang it in your garage to show friends when they come over to see whats going on at Timmys house. My Miller is only good enough for that purpose....... Even thou I have a pic of Chip handing me a third place trophy as its leaned against me

Hmmm, perhaps I'll get serious about it then Mikey! Maybe settle for a picture of you handing me a third place trophy :D LOL

Started thinking about the '84 Atlas again. This time I am considering getting the ML Boatworks framing kit...which seems to be a no-brainer!

I have sent an e-mail to Newton to check on availability of his sheets and if he is still offering the kit along with them.

For now, I don't know if I should go with the offset version or not. Do the IMPBA rules allow me to go with the centered engine well? I would like to go with the offset engine well for the scale look and I seems to me that it would help with cornering...any thought of going this route?

Also, does anyone know if the rear wing on the early Miller American sat off the back of the hull as it did on the Atlas?

Thanks for those links...a lot of good images of the Atlas, Miller American and other boats!

One thing I have never seen is a picture of the cockpit...although there isn't much to be seen other than Chip Hanauer's helmet.

Still no word from Newton...

Thanks for those links...a lot of good images of the Atlas, Miller American and other boats!

One thing I have never seen is a picture of the cockpit...although there isn't much to be seen other than Chip Hanauer's helmet.

Still no word from Newton...
If you want to buy a framing kit, contact Mike Luszcz "spoonefcrx" on this forum to order. I am now laser cutting his kits.

Cheers

Kevin

Well, I have had the Laser kit and the Newton plans for a few months now and will hopefully begin work soon. Still trying to decide if I want to go with a front tank and rear radio box or use saddle tanks and a front radio box.

I also need to start a list of items for my shopping cart:

1) Decking: 3/32 ply for the bottom and sponsons, and 1/16 for the top?

2) Strut: Speedmaster SPDS-010-250HF 1/4" Strut XTD assembly, HYDRO, Flat bottom OR Accutech Strut Assembly -1/8 scale- (Part # SARC-100)

3) Rudder: Speedmaster SPDR-011-60MB, 60/90 Rudder Assembly with 1 5/8" Bracket OR Accutech Short Rudder Assembly -1/8 scale- (Part # SRASRC-100)

4) Servos: Hitech HS-85MG for throttle (and third channel) and Hitech HS-645MG for rudder

5) Turn Fin: I hear Mike Hughs makes some good ones, but I see Zippkits has Hydro Turn Fin-Large #3420

So far, the only progress I have made is to make a couple of mock ups of the cowling. I first tried to make it from the plans, but the result looked a bit off to me. So I made another based off the Dumas Miller American...which looks better...but still not quite right. Somewhere between the two I hope to come up with an acceptable piece.

What is giving me the most trouble is those black cooling fins! They just don't show up well in the pictures or the video that are on the internet. That and the crew was experimenting with different configurations throughout the race season. Does anyone out there have a good picture of this area? Still looking for a picture of the cockpit also....

Okay, you have me curious. Why do you need 3/32 for the bottom and sponsons? It's going to be difficult at best to bend and with the sharp bends at the front of the sponson runners, it's going to be VERY DIFFICULT to get ply that thick to stay epoxied in place going into the front of the sponsons. I use only 1/16 for skinning a boat, prefering the more flexible ultralite aircraft plywoods for areas with curves and hobby shop plywoods for flat areas.

I guess that should have been 3/32 for the sponson ride pads and 3/32 doubler for the rear around the strut area. Just trying to remember what I have read from some other builds...This is my first scale build BTW, so thanks for pointing that out.

I am curious about the "ultralight" aircraft plywoods. I planned on using aircraft ply for the entire hull. Am I correct in assuming this is a different product? Link?

Back