1982 U-13 Gilmore Special

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am working late into the night getting the final molds finished up to complete the project. All the big stuff is done just working on flange molds and a new radio box for the boat. Sam you are boat NUMBER 001- DPS-108 GEN2

Hey Dennis,

That was well before I started running tuned pipes - that is the way we did it back then. I think that was under the initial set of IMPBA 1/8th Scale Rules. The trailing esge of the prop could not extend beyond the transom at that point. There wern't many Scales in the ODMBA back then. Frank Blanchard's U-5 Lauterbach Special, my Valumart from my Father - Gus Johnson's plans. He also had one that he raced in Florida. Tom Prezenka sent me this pic of Gus with VALU*MART shortly after Gus passed. Tom said it had hung in his office for years. I treasure it. CHEERS !!! Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres a photo of my retired Gilmore Special. I picked it up years ago cheap on Ebay, Aeromarine hull and hand painted graphics. It never really handled that well and was told it required modification to the bottom.

82 Gilmore Special.jpg

Heres a photo of my retired Gilmore Special. I picked it up years ago cheap on Ebay, Aeromarine hull and hand painted graphics. It never really handled that well and was told it required modification to the bottom.
That's awesome. Do you have anymore pictures?

Found the paint code. It is an Orange not red. (hugger Orange) it was used on All Gilmore racing and private vehicles dupli color BSP207
I used this and it came out nice. Can I ask your source for the code?

Thanks,

Bill

Found the paint code. It is an Orange not red. (hugger Orange) it was used on All Gilmore racing and private vehicles dupli color BSP207
I used this and it came out nice. Can I ask your source for the code?

Thanks,

Bill
Bill, The source came from the Indy car blog. A guy that worked at the Museum wrote that Gilmore racing used this color on all the racing equipment, and his private vehicles. Gilmore owned and sponsored many an Indy car for years. He was AJ Foyts sponsor / co owner right up until AJ retired as a driver. Hope this helps.

Don McKay

Still need to clear the bottom and cowl. We are also doing another 72 Notre Dame at the same time so we are finishing clear and then putting hardware back on. I'll try and put up a shot of both when complete.

Bill

Still need to clear the bottom and cowl. We are also doing another 72 Notre Dame at the same time so we are finishing clear and then putting hardware back on. I'll try and put up a shot of both when complete.

Bill
Thanks. I got the paint sheet for the Gilmore. I'll have the hull at the end of Feb. I'll post pics of my build.

Hey Sam,

very pretty boat, I should be receiving a DPS hull around the same time...Doug's putting the boat together and I'll probably have setup questions for you when I start putting it together

congrats,

Len

You'll be happy with it. Doug makes probably the best T-4 out there. Very fast. There rocket ships and can handle anything.

hi Sam...couldn't agree more...

probably the highest quality layup in the hobby imho...here's some photos...

DPS T4 1.jpeg

DPS T4 3.jpeg

Yep. I got a wicked fast DPS sport 40 from him that he built me last year. By far my favorite hulls. All I've raced are DPS and that's probably all that I will race. Where are you located at.

Back