1969 Outrigger Pay'nPak

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roger, not sure if this helps or not, but I was in the mood for a challenge, so I did some digging. I found some stories about the "Electric Eagle" dragster that was from about the same time as the hydro. Someone took on this car as a project and has restored it. Given the common heritage of the boat and dragster, it's possible that the eagle that's on the front end of the dragster, and shows up pretty well in one of the restoration pics, could be pretty close to the one on the rigger. Take a look, the restoration article, and pics, are here: http://www.wediditforlove.com/Eagle.html

Roger, not sure if this helps or not, but I was in the mood for a challenge, so I did some digging. I found some stories about the "Electric Eagle" dragster that was from about the same time as the hydro. Someone took on this car as a project and has restored it. Given the common heritage of the boat and dragster, it's possible that the eagle that's on the front end of the dragster, and shows up pretty well in one of the restoration pics, could be pretty close to the one on the rigger. Take a look, the restoration article, and pics, are here: http://www.wediditforlove.com/Eagle.html
If anyone has a pic its Ned Crimmin,out west in Wa. I bought a pic of the RedMan from him that his mom took standing right in front of the boat. Awesome pic and he has 1000s of pics of that era.....Mikey http://www.vintagehydroplanes.com/crimmin.html

Last edited by a moderator:

chuck, your right. as i stated early on, bucky austin or jim green (they run in the same circle) would be good contacts. i have seen the car a number of times, just don't have any photos that show. aaron

Man, that is a sweet AA/FD :)

I talked with Ned Crimmin a few weeks back, he has some great action shots but no static shots, and nothing that shows the eagle any better than the Photo from the UD site. The eagle on the front of the Vintage Dragster is quite a bit different. Although we know the dragster and the hydroplane was painted by the same person the eagles are significantly different.

Josh-

I was looking at Jimv's photos in his gallery and I didn't realize how big that eagle was. I zoomed in on one of the photos and still can't tell what its holding in its right claw. I have one large picture provided by Roger Newton in a 1985 calender and you can see half the gold leaf wing and it looks like its left claw is holding a checkered flag.

Glen if you can get me that pic I can probably draw this thing and get pretty close to what we need.
Ned wrote me this, I do not know if this will help, but I talked to Jon Staudacher before the holidays about the data base material about his Dad's career, and the audio tapes of Mom's interview with Les. I sent the family the material with no obligation at all, but if they liked what I am doing I asked them to please send me an endorsement letter from the Staudacher's about this project. I mentioned to Jon your project after the holidays, and that you needed an image of the eagle on the front cowl. He told me he would keep it in mind as they go through all the material of their Dad's in storage, but naturally it is a long shot, and they are busy with their lives too.

The unlimtied catalog is $55.00 with plus $5.00 for shipping now. The total would be $60.00. If you want one just send a check or money order to the following.

I looked at the 45 minutes of movie film I had from the Detroit '69 race. It was really boring. A race to the wire by Muncey in the US, Myr's Special with Dean Chenowith, and Fred Alter in Miss Schweps. Of course Muncey was thee winner. Unusual for that Miss US and that year. A lot of 2 and 3 boat heats by the time the starter's gun went off.

As far as the Pay n Pak goes, it had a horrible day. I didn't shoot any movies during qualifying, only during the race. They basically blew their good motors during qualifying. She had a couple good runs but had nothing left for the race. Heat one, she dogged around at around 70 or so. I don't think she made the next heat (died before the start or shortly after. There was an accident in turn one and the heat was rerun. The Pak didn't make it back out the rest of the day. I had a really good view of it from the side as she came out on the course for the first heat but nothing else of note.

No shots of the nose cowl that show the Eagle, sorry.

JimV

One claw is the American Flag, the other is a checkered flag. I have a picture I took on tilt outside the store on Auroroa Avenue. It is not perfect as I had a little 126 camera back then, but I think it is better than what anyone else has come up with.

I will post it in about 10 minutes.

Roger I also have it as a big file, too big to upload so I will give that to you on CD next weekend.

Pak Nose

One claw is the American Flag, the other is a checkered flag. I have a picture I took on tilt outside the store on Auroroa Avenue. It is not perfect as I had a little 126 camera back then, but I think it is better than what anyone else has come up with.

Roger I also have it as a big file, too big to upload so I will give that to you on CD next weekend.

Pak Nose
Now this is funny....your buddies have have searching for 15 - 35 years and you have this photo :lol:

That is by far the best picture of the Eagle but I can't make out its claws holding the flags. It looks like a glob of gold. Do you recall if those are claws holding the flags?

I tried some photo editing software but it wasn't much help.

Pak Nose
Now this is funny....your buddies have have searching for 15 - 35 years and you have this photo :lol:

That is by far the best picture of the Eagle.
No one ever asked me...................

I know that this may sound like a dumb question, But, Is the 1969 Pay'nPak still around somewhere? Storage? Museum? Private Ownership? Destroyed?

David

I know that this may sound like a dumb question, But, Is the 1969 Pay'nPak still around somewhere? Storage? Museum? Private Ownership? Destroyed?
David
Thats a good question David. A few years ago I asked that same question to a friend of mine in Detroit. His Dad was one of the workers at Les Staudacherss shop that built thePak. He had heard that it was sold years ago to somone in Michigan that had made it into a pleasure boat. Maybe even with a turbine for power. As far as I know no one has seen it. We will keep on digging for the right story.

You're right the one side is a flag and the other is not as clear. Could be a scroll...... I'll go through the video some more and see if there is anything else. I've got some from '69 but it's mostly Bardahl and Notre Dame but there is some of the Pak.

Mike,

would you be willing to sell me your video of the 1969 Bardahl and Notre Dame ? these two Karelsens are my favorite boats from the 1960s.

i'm also looking for video of the 1968 Gold Cup in Detroit. i think this is race in which Col. Warner Gardner was killed in the Eagle Electric and the Bardahl beat the BUD in a very exciting final.

thank you in advance,

dave weagel

st. clair shores, mi

[email protected]

Latest posts

Back