.12 hammerhead (project speed)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here it is!

i can almost feel the lightness ;D

hardware.jpg

The problem with the Titanium is that it won't polish well. It is a dark grey color. That's the price you have to pay when you want it light.

Thanks for the picture post!

Hammer

Went outside to do some sanding so I could post some pics of the Hammerhead.12. Just about froze my but off. :eek:

Hammer

I guess I was a little late getting the pics to you Tom! Must have gone to bed.

The Sponsons are 1mm ply + 3/16 balsa + 50mm light blue foam + 316 balsa + 1mm ply. The decking will be 1mm ply. I will use rounded bamboo for the sponson tips.( little asian touch) Bamboo is light and indestructible. It is great for bumbers on the front of tubs and sponsons. It will sand down easily to make a good round bumper.

The body is 3mm ply frame with sandwiched walls for where the sponson arm outer tubes will go through. The decking and hatches will all be 1mm ply.

The sponson arms are 5mm solid carbon graphite rods with 6mm aluminum outer tubes.

Hammer

Hammer

Awsome hardware Hammer!!!

Now you just made me Jealous : :)

Send me some pictures of your boat when done. My email adress is [email protected]

P.S. Im useing Fullers strut, flex shaft, mac quiet pipe, and speedmaster's .21 mini rudder.

Matt

Hammer,

Nice. Very creative, it's got a very lightweight look, I am guessing 1.7.

-MikeP

Heya Propjockey! Whats the base for monocote. Is it epoxy based or urethane based?

I think that it is worth the few extra bucks rather than looking for a cheap substitute. Epoxy or urethane based paints are known paints that will take any fuel, so you should use them. There are acrylic urethane paints that will hold up to light nitro, but if you go over 15% your gonna have a mess.

Hammer

Hey Hammer, looks great, i am using a Very similar lightening technique on my new .21 riiger.(except I Drilled ALOT of 3/4 inch holes.) I wieghs 2.9 pounds RTR. (with fuel). Havent had it in the water yet to see how it will hold up, but i soon will. Got to get some pics posted so you guys can see my project.

~ james

Hey James! Thanks for the comments. You know, one set of tools I was thinking about getting is a hole saw set. They are circular saws that will fit in any electric drill. There are many sizes. They are perfect for gutting out unwanted framework mass. They make really clean cuts, too. Right now, I only have 15mm and 12 mm. I use them for cutting the holes for my sponson outer pipes on my big riggers. The hole saw that I saw at the hardware store had sizes from 8mm to 50mm. They also have a spring loaded pointed pin in the center to guide the saw to the proper place on the wood surface.

Hammer

Hammer, it was kind of a joke :-

I was talking about the plastic film for airplanes. If you covered the frame with it, it would be much lighter than covering with thin plywood.

The matching paint, LustreCote, is lacquer based.

I have a set of Forestner bits, 1/4" to 1" in 1/8" increments, that are sharp enough to bore perfect holes in 1/8" BALSA without tearing it! Very handy set!

Jokes on me! Duh! I've used it before with gliders. It didn't click.

I guess I deserve to feel like and idiot. Don't think it would hold up on a boat.

Hammer

Now that I think about it, why wouldn't it work? Not on a running surface, but what about the tub? It works for balsa airplanes at 100+ MPH.

Can you hear the gears...or smell the smoke? Hmmm........?

Now that was funny Propjockey and Hammer.

Come to think about it, they use it on the decks of R/C sailboats

with a grid of balsa or ply under it.

Don

Hey! By the way. I saw something similar to monocote. It was a transparent iron on airplane film that had a blue tint to it. A guy in my club did the deck of one of his boats with it. Over the plywood of course. You could see the beautiful wood grain through it. I think he put a clear coat over the top of it though.

Hammer

I took my TR-PT in to have it fitted with a water jacket. Found out that the water jacket wouldn't fit over the Turbo head like it does on the CZ. Guess I will have to use the stock heat sink head until I can figure something else out. How do they work? I noticed that most of you guys use them.

Hammer

Back