1/8 scale roundnose plans

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_Duggan

Does anyone utilise CAD drawings for the purpose of building 1/8 scale hydro's? Anyone happen to have or know where a CAD file for a roundnose can be obtained?

Only place I know that has plans for round nosed boas is Newton Marine. Unfortunately, all of their plans are hand drawn

Last edited by a moderator:
Ub Hauled,

What he means by that is that Newton plans are basically the parts are drawn on paper the old fashioned way, by hand, and then copied. No computer involvement.

Ub Hauled,

What he means by that is that Newton plans are basically the parts are drawn on paper the old fashioned way, by hand, and then copied. No computer involvement.

Hmm, reeeeally...

that's good to know... thanks.

Ub Hauled,

Hmm, reeeeally...

I never found any,my son is going to do my Lauterbach when he has time. Only thing he will stretch it to the legal limit as the Chrysler Crew boat was very small

Does anyone utilise CAD drawings for the purpose of building 1/8 scale hydro's? Anyone happen to have or know where a CAD file for a roundnose can be obtained?
CAD drawings are extremely helpful in building 1/8 scales. They also are a lot of work. Take a look at my gallery.

Cheers

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,

The CNC'd Carbon fiber parts look awesome!

I was thinking of using laser cut ply. I send the file off and a week later all the parts arrive ready for assembly. Much less sourcing of ply & cutting required by me (which means less mistakes and a better chance of me actually finishing it!) :D :D

Thanks Kevin,

I was thinking of using laser cut ply. I send the file off and a week later all the parts arrive ready for assembly. Much less sourcing of ply & cutting required by me (which means less mistakes and a better chance of me actually finishing it!) :D :D

Hey Tim,

I agree! I was initially going to get the plans laser cut in ply, but then took the extra step to get it done in CF. I had in mind to sell the plans after assembling a boat from them on my own first so that I could make sure it was a proven plan. I have been working on other boats and need to get back to the Gypsy. I just have too many projects and not enough time! :ph34r: Good luck with it all!

Cheers,

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,

Ditto that! LOL

I was going to use wood and reinforce some crucial points... but make the whole thing in Carbon would be wicked... and somewhat costly.

Hey Tim,

I agree! I was initially going to get the plans laser cut in ply, but then took the extra step to get it done in CF. I had in mind to sell the plans after assembling a boat from them on my own first so that I could make sure it was a proven plan. I have been working on other boats and need to get back to the Gypsy. I just have too many projects and not enough time! :ph34r: Good luck with it all!

Cheers,

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

If that boat was from Newton Plans #101 I'd be begging you to sell the file to me right now!

Did the parts need much massaging at all? I hear all the time that even when building straight from the plans that there is still a lot of massaging required to get things to fit right.

Cheers,

Tim

Ditto that! LOL

I was going to use wood and reinforce some crucial points... but make the whole thing in Carbon would be wicked... and somewhat costly.
The thing with using cf is it would be as tough as it gets, and would be impervious to rot. So the extra cost could be justified somewhat. And if you know someone who has a CNC router and isn't too expensive (i.e. free) it would be even easier to justify the cost.

Almost seems a shame to hide all that nice looking CF under a deck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Tim,

Cheers,

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

If that boat was from Newton Plans #101 I'd be begging you to sell the file to me right now!

Did the parts need much massaging at all? I hear all the time that even when building straight from the plans that there is still a lot of massaging required to get things to fit right.

Cheers,

Tim
Hi Tim,

The boat is not from Newton Plans nor would it make any boat from #101 as it is a Gale 32 design. I have the plan from Roger for the My Gypsy but I chose to go a bit different route for the Gypsy after receiving some great advice from Dennis Wright who has built a beautiful My Gypsy in wood (beautiful being an understatement). My CF parts however fit together very nicely without much fiddling. That being said however, if you are interested in building a particular boat from plan #101 I would actually contact Phil Thomas who sells a fiberglass version. This would no doubt be a cheaper and quicker option to building a scale out of wood. One off laser cutting or machining is costly and while it is nice to assemble a wooded boat with all the precut frames, there is still a lot of fiddling. Plus Phl cna give you sage advice on how to set up the boat. Phil's turn around from order to delivery is fast as well. If have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Kevin

The thing with using cf is it would be as tough as it gets, and would be impervious to rot. So the extra cost could be justified somewhat. And if you know someone who has a CNC router and isn't too expensive (i.e. free) it would be even easier to justify the cost.

Almost seems a shame to hide all that nice looking CF under a deck!

That is why I used it. I hate sealing wood frames. It is a mess (although black CF dust is probably just as bad) and it adds weight. The ends of the cf have to be sealed as it will draw water. Plus it looks cool too.

Cheers,

Kevin

Hi Tim,

That being said however, if you are interested in building a particular boat from plan #101 I would actually contact Phil Thomas who sells a fiberglass version. This would no doubt be a cheaper and quicker option to building a scale out of wood. One off laser cutting or machining is costly and while it is nice to assemble a wooded boat with all the precut frames, there is still a lot of fiddling. Plus Phl cna give you sage advice on how to set up the boat. Phil's turn around from order to delivery is fast as well. If have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

I may have to go down that route. Phil's boats sure are nice. The only problem is the shipping of a large hull like 1/8 scale hulls is astronomical to Australia!

I have a friend here who has a CNC router, and deal with another guy who has a CNC laser here in Oz, and the pricing is pretty good. It's a lot more build time compared to a moulded boat, but more cost conservative.

Tim

Just to remind you I have all of Newton Marine's plans for sale at www.newtonmarine.com I will be having a 30% off all stock one week from today on Black Friday. These are still proven to be winning hull desings.

check out the garry finlay '69 notre dame, newton 101 plan, available from various sources. beautiful cad drawings done with full cooperation from roger newton. not sure if 1/8 scale plan available but it can be enlarged.

i realize you're asking for cad files possibly for cnc use but i think you'll like this plan if only for the art work value.

and be sure to look at his jones round nose , dave frank oberto , the '77 - '81 atlas and the pay 'n pak turbine plans.

all beautifully drawn. designed for elec power in various scales but can be sized and modified for nitro or gas power.

search the internet for garry finlay model boat plans.

mike,

i don't understand what you mean by enlarging the chrysler crew plan to "legal size". the newton 117 and 167 lauterbach plans are 1/8 scale. do you mean gas t-boat size ?

the 2 newton plan numbers are confusing. need to check the MHR to verify dimensions. memory is worn out.

or consider the '58 miss u.s. IV U-36 lauterbach. it was 31 ft long. beautiful clean red paint scheme and unique cowlings slightly different from the standard lauterbach cowls.

there were only 3 lauterbach UNLIMITEDS, the 31 ft '58 miss u.s. IV U-36, the 29 ft '66 U-77 miss chrysler crew built by sterret and the 29 ft '75 U-5 lauterbach special.

the cowling size and proportions relative to the hull are critical if making a scale UNLIMITED class lauterbach, imo.

btw, the '58 U-36 and the '75 U-5 hulls still exist. the U-36 is somewhere in new england and I THINK the sterret family has the U-5. this info was published on the vintage hydroplanes website about 6 months ago with photos of the U-36 hull on the trailer today.

would be interesting to get accurate dimensions from the current owners.

maybe david newton or joe weibelhaus could clarify.

dave

Ub Hauled,

Hmm, reeeeally...

I never found any,my son is going to do my Lauterbach when he has time. Only thing he will stretch it to the legal limit as the Chrysler Crew boat was very small

mike,

i don't understand what you mean by enlarging the chrysler crew plan to "legal size". the newton 117 and 167 lauterbach plans are 1/8 scale. do you mean gas t-boat size ?

the 2 newton plan numbers are confusing. need to check the MHR to verify dimensions. memory is worn out.

or consider the '58 miss u.s. IV U-36 lauterbach. it was 31 ft long. beautiful clean red paint scheme and unique cowlings slightly different from the standard lauterbach cowls.

there were only 3 lauterbach UNLIMITEDS, the 31 ft '58 miss u.s. IV U-36, the 29 ft '66 U-77 miss chrysler crew built by sterret and the 29 ft '75 U-5 lauterbach special.

the cowling size and proportions relative to the hull are critical if making a scale UNLIMITED class lauterbach, imo.

btw, the '58 U-36 and the '75 U-5 hulls still exist. the U-36 is somewhere in new england and I THINK the sterret family has the U-5. this info was published on the vintage hydroplanes website about 6 months ago with photos of the U-36 hull on the trailer today.

would be interesting to get accurate dimensions from the current owners.

maybe david newton or joe weibelhaus could clarify.

dave

Ub Hauled,

Hmm, reeeeally...

If you read the MHR you will see a min and max number in each area eg length width tunnel Impba allows this when building a hull as well as NAMBA. The Chrysler being a 29 footer needs a stretch to its max legal limit to compete against the newer pickles.

6677 Ms Chrysler Crew

6677 66-67 U-77 MISS CHRYSLER CREW 29- 2 11- 9 6- 4 2- 6 15- 6

68-70 U-77 MISS OWENSBORO ( 42.75 - 44.75 ) ( 15.86 - 19.39 ) ( 8.55 - 10.45 ) ( 3.38 - 4.13 ) ( 20.93 - 25.58

Length 42.75-44.76

Width 15.86- 19.39

Tunnel 8.55-10.45

Depth 3.38- 4.13

Apl 20.93- 25.58

Here is the MHR notice length from 42.75 to 44.76 min and max Hope this helps

Back