1/8 scale roundnose plans

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thank you mike. i forgot about the min/max dimensions allowed for 1/8 scale models. glad you posted those dimensions. i'm sure you're correct about needing max length in order to compete with the pickleforks. you might need a tunnel spoiler to prevent blow offs. look closely at blazer's gas lauterbach hull tunnel.

i attempted to build a 46 inch lauterbach special from an enlarged 167 plan. i don't remember now how long the hull shown on the drawing was but it was obvious that the drawings had been altered with overlapping lines, both the framing and template sheets. this made cutting parts difficult. the enlarged templates made the errors worse. i wasn't building a scale model , just trying to build a larger gas powered hull. after a lot of fudging managed to get the hull together but the front deck / bow slope is botched badly. that's another critical aspect of the lauterbach hulls. the bow slope has to be just right. slightly too much seems perfect if you know what i mean. brian blazer did great job with his big gas hull but the cowls are sized for what seems to be a 1/5 scale GP class hull. the cowls need to be smaller for correct proportions for an unlimited class boat. one day i'll dig out my hull and try to fix the front deck area and build the '58 U-36 boat. the cowlings are just right on that 31 ft hull. but making the correct cowlings will be a challenge.

do you have the correct cowlings for your chrysler crew yet ?

present day photos of the existing U-36 hull and cowlings show an amazingly well preserved boat. evidently that boat was carefully stored for many years.

i asked david about those 2 lauterbach plan lists, one showing 28 ft hulls (117) and the other 29ft hulls (167). it seems that roger may have been attempting to re-size his drawings but never finished that project. i mentioned joe w. because he built a beautiful chrysler crew and he might know the history of those drawings.

the lauterbachs are truly works of art.

thank you mike. i forgot about the min/max dimensions allowed for 1/8 scale models. glad you posted those dimensions. i'm sure you're correct about needing max length in order to compete with the pickleforks. you might need a tunnel spoiler to prevent blow offs. look closely at blazer's gas lauterbach hull tunnel.

i attempted to build a 46 inch lauterbach special from an enlarged 167 plan. i don't remember now how long the hull shown on the drawing was but it was obvious that the drawings had been altered with overlapping lines, both the framing and template sheets. this made cutting parts difficult. the enlarged templates made the errors worse. i wasn't building a scale model , just trying to build a larger gas powered hull. after a lot of fudging managed to get the hull together but the front deck / bow slope is botched badly. that's another critical aspect of the lauterbach hulls. the bow slope has to be just right. slightly too much seems perfect if you know what i mean. brian blazer did great job with his big gas hull but the cowls are sized for what seems to be a 1/5 scale GP class hull. the cowls need to be smaller for correct proportions for an unlimited class boat. one day i'll dig out my hull and try to fix the front deck area and build the '58 U-36 boat. the cowlings are just right on that 31 ft hull. but making the correct cowlings will be a challenge.

do you have the correct cowlings for your chrysler crew yet ?

present day photos of the existing U-36 hull and cowlings show an amazingly well preserved boat. evidently that boat was carefully stored for many years.

i asked david about those 2 lauterbach plan lists, one showing 28 ft hulls (117) and the other 29ft hulls (167). it seems that roger may have been attempting to re-size his drawings but never finished that project. i mentioned joe w. because he built a beautiful chrysler crew and he might know the history of those drawings.

the lauterbachs are truly works of art.
Going to borrow some molds to make the cowls. I have a Lauterbach Blazer hull to build first this winter. It will give me some ideas to use for my scale boat as well.... This is going to take time and wont get wet next year

I've built a CNC router from these plans. http://www.crankorgan.com/

The 7th Sojourn.

Works great!

Bed is a little small.

Now if I had the space. I would rebuild it and would move up to 4'x 8' base size. And up the power to a full size router.

This would scale out great, And cover a lot more uses.

Back