1/8 SCALE BODY WORK

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark couty

I have a few of questions.

I am waterproofing my wood boat with West Systems. I have 205 and 207 hardener, which would be best to use ?

Secondly, I have a few small gaps and minor wood imperfections,seams to fill.

What would be good to use for this on wood ?

Last, do I take care of the imperfections, before or after sealing ?

Also can anyone can point me to a tutorial on how to seal with West Systems.

Thanks, guys.

You can mix some sanding dust in a little epoxy to make a paste and use it to fill as it will be stronger than micro balloons. Do at the same time and use a plastic body filler applicator to squeegee the excess off. 205 and at least 2 coats, sand in-between coats. Check out Greg Hanns video

Brad

The fast 205 hardner gives plenty of working time and is all I use. Cabosil is a hard filler while phenolic microbaloons is a softer, light weight filler. Mix both to peanut butter consistency. Read the Gougeon's book on wooden boat building for information on techniques. I have both a signed first edition and a later edition. Cabosil filled fillets make a joint that's stronger than the wood. I only use filled epoxy for structural things because it's hard to sand compared to Bondo.

Lohring Miller

I have a few of questions.

I am waterproofing my wood boat with West Systems. I have 205 and 207 hardener, which would be best to use ?

Secondly, I have a few small gaps and minor wood imperfections,seams to fill.

What would be good to use for this on wood ?

Last, do I take care of the imperfections, before or after sealing ?

Also can anyone can point me to a tutorial on how to seal with West Systems.

Thanks, guys.
While I personally prefer 206 hardener out of what you have use the 205, the 207 is really for final finishing (top coating). The thing to watch with the 205 is the short mixed pot life, about 10 minutes. Word of advice, if you need to mix more than an ounce at a time do so in a cup that will keep the mixed height lower. In other words use something that is shorter and wider as the taller the mixed height is the more heat is trapped and it will kick off even faster. The 206 gives about 20 minutes of pot life and longer cure time which allows even deeper penetration into the wood. The 205 you have will work well, you'll just need to work a bit quicker.
default_smile.png

Like Don I prefer the 206 as it allows more working time(I'm old and slow) at room temp.. Brad's suggestion about the bondo spreaders to squeegee off the excess works for me too- I run a couple thru the band saw to get 3/4" to 3" widths to fit different areas of the boat. There should be good information on West Systems website. I think they say you can sand after 24 hours but I found that waiting 48 hours was better(does not gum up the sandpaper as bad). 3 light coats works for me.

If down to the sanding of the exterior, they say to wash and scrub it with TSP to get the wax off that sets up on top and that way the sandpaper doesn't gum up. This does work!!

Brad

Trisodium Phosphate. I used it to clean grease and oil off of floors when I worked in the service department of a now closed auto dealership. The stuff, when mixed with water, becomes a very effective degreaser so, in that sense, it almost seems like overkill to preclean a hull with it prior to sanding. One thing that most forget is that epoxy doesn't set up overnight. Some epoxies actually take up to a week to totally cure and, if sanded too soon, will clog up sandpaper

Last edited by a moderator:
While I personally prefer 206 hardener out of what you have use the 205, the 207 is really for final finishing (top coating). The thing to watch with the 205 is the short mixed pot life, about 10 minutes. Word of advice, if you need to mix more than an ounce at a time do so in a cup that will keep the mixed height lower. In other words use something that is shorter and wider as the taller the mixed height is the more heat is trapped and it will kick off even faster. The 206 gives about 20 minutes of pot life and longer cure time which allows even deeper penetration into the wood. The 205 you have will work well, you'll just need to work a bit quicker.
default_smile.png

You must use West epoxy in a hotter climate than I do. I just laid up some small pieces with one pump of resin with 205 hardener and had lots of working time. My shop was around 68 to 70 degrees.

Lohring Miller

here is a newb question for ya...when u say epoxy u are talking about west systems right? which is what u could use for fiberglassing etc? not epoxy glue! I don't paint so I try to stay away from sanding also
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back