My whiplash Sport 20 weighs 6.2 pounds. How much does your sport 20 weigh?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sucks when something happens to a boat you fix it and then it’s just not the same. We ran into that for while when she hit a turtle and went on the bank. The boat wasn’t the same for while. Took forever to figure out what happen. All of our district races are pretty windy. So a little weight isn’t going to hurt us. We are struggling to figure out what this Nova DD motor likes as far as fuel mixture and prop. We ran a CMB forever and still have one. But they are completely different engines. We gained some speed at the end of last year which was a big plus. Just need more testing for us.

pfft not dissing but like u suggested u built what us speed demons call a pig.
3-4 for a rigger so 5 for a sport if good .
yea u can re-balance a heavy boat and add all sorts of positive trim but just like a human body -if u keep the weight down to begin with u have allot less problems.
a boat should run well with neutral trim. other wise its poorly designed or too heavy.
also ,i know im gonna be crucified but DITCH THE WEST SYSTEMS.
that stuff is too heavy,not worth it to me. but everyone is different,some do it for the look ,and thats fine too

pfft not dissing but like u suggested u built what us speed demons call a pig.
3-4 for a rigger so 5 for a sport if good .
yea u can re-balance a heavy boat and add all sorts of positive trim but just like a human body -if u keep the weight down to begin with u have allot less problems.
a boat should run well with neutral trim. other wise its poorly designed or too heavy.
also, I know I'm gonna be crucified but DITCH THE WEST SYSTEMS.
that stuff is too heavy, not worth it to me. but everyone is different, some do it for the look ,and that's fine too
Shaun, I know Dumas boats are pigs. That's the whole reason I built it using different, lighter materials and changed some of the design. When I built my first one, back in 1982, it built as per the directions. It was around three pounds heavier, underpowered and couldn't even get up on plane. I figured I could improve it and didn't plan on or think I'd be racing it or at least not much. I figured it would be a fun little play boat and not much more than that.
As far as West Systems, I have too much of it on hand to change at this point. Just out of curiosity, what do you use that's lighter and just as strong as West Systems?

aah yes . i keep 4getting the average sport 20/40 guy is a jump off of a scale guy . thats kool tho.
yea im not interested in a boat thet lasts 4ever. ,, IF i was racing regular i would have a new/different hull every season.
even still im not into the 100 year hull thing. it should be fast enough to disintegrate on impact should it blow off ,,but if u set it up right thats not an issue .
for real ,ive talked to a record setting builder and built my own boats where u just use ca and 50/50 thinned epoxy to seal. ive historically used the good hobby grade stuff. i remember using some hardware store stuff and it was "hard to work with". random cure times ,lower strength.
i recently got bob smith epoxy as ive used the ca and its the best. my next EXTREME projects with be with that .
i now try to maintain the wood grain,if u cant feel it u prob used too much/too thick epoxy . it keeps the bottom aerated for speed. u can sand or smooth the top with more epoxy or clear or paint but all i hear is minus 1,-2,-3 mph lol yea im just insane - ludicrous speed IS too slow.

edit- tho my comment was about the topic/o.p he said it was a whip so i presume its not to go slow . the {old} dumas kits are tanks . i had a circus circus as my first attempt at modeling ,,,,that was 1 heavy boat built as per instructions .
f.y.i i have a few kits here to build 4 for the summer season...i got kinda depressed when i feel the kit-in-box weight more than i would want the r.t.r lolol ill figure something out .......how will a .90 work in a .20 hull...idk....lets find out lol

happy boating everybody !!

Last edited:
aah yes . i keep 4getting the average sport 20/40 guy is a jump off of a scale guy . thats kool tho.
yea im not interested in a boat thet lasts 4ever. ,, IF i was racing regular i would have a new/different hull every season.
even still im not into the 100 year hull thing. it should be fast enough to disintegrate on impact should it blow off ,,but if u set it up right thats not an issue .
for real ,ive talked to a record setting builder and built my own boats where u just use ca and 50/50 thinned epoxy to seal. ive historically used the good hobby grade stuff. i remember using some hardware store stuff and it was "hard to work with". random cure times ,lower strength.
i recently got bob smith epoxy as ive used the ca and its the best. my next EXTREME projects with be with that .
i now try to maintain the wood grain,if u cant feel it u prob used too much/too thick epoxy . it keeps the bottom aerated for speed. u can sand or smooth the top with more epoxy or clear or paint but all i hear is minus 1,-2,-3 mph lol yea im just insane - ludicrous speed IS too slow.

edit- tho my comment was about the topic/o.p he said it was a whip so i presume its not to go slow . the {old} dumas kits are tanks . i had a circus circus as my first attempt at modeling ,,,,that was 1 heavy boat built as per instructions .
f.y.i i have a few kits here to build 4 for the summer season...i got kinda depressed when i feel the kit-in-box weight more than i would want the r.t.r lolol ill figure something out .......how will a .90 work in a .20 hull...idk....lets find out lol

happy boating everybody !!
I guess you can take the kits you received and trace everything on 1/64 ply and cut them out, then build them 🤷🏽‍♂️

I didn't go quite that thin but that is basically what I did. That and changed the sponson depth and bottom profile to make it less likely to blow over than a stock build would

Are we building a record setting boat or a race boat. I’m lost now. Building boats to break? That seems odd.

I guess you can take the kits you received and trace everything on 1/64 ply and cut them out, then build them 🤷🏽‍♂️

i considered that. in fact 1 supplier had said some years ago while i was talking to him on the phone that he could do it ,,,but i forgot about it . then here i am years later and just said im goin for it (building a wood hydro kit) and just went ahead n ordered thru the site portal ,couple days later it occured to me .
then i imagine there would be fitment/ alignment issues . i do have thin ply i could just replace the skins ,that would knock off weight. either way i keep the sharp corners on the bottom for speed- light sanding ,no heavy epoxy ,very little (if any) paint

I learned something from this thread, and the lesson is when it comes to weight you can go to far in either direction.

I like the idea of perfecting the set up.

Im not worried about my 6.2 pounds now, as a matter of fact I haven’t worked on my set up since I stared this thread, and Bradley was right, I already forgot about my 6.2 pounds.

I think the whip 20 has a lot of potential for any one who owns one. When mine runs it really Carey’s the mail. But it can’t be an all or nothing boat. You need to be able to light it up from any place in its power band.

Even though I set the boat up as the plans said, I may start working with moving the engine toword the transom a bit CG is something to consider since it is a bit nose heavy at 14 1/4 inches.

I learned something from this thread, and the lesson is when it comes to weight you can go to far in either direction.

I like the idea of perfecting the set up.

Im not worried about my 6.2 pounds now, as a matter of fact I haven’t worked on my set up since I stared this thread, and Bradley was right, I already forgot about my 6.2 pounds.

I think the whip 20 has a lot of potential for any one who owns one. When mine runs it really Carey’s the mail. But it can’t be an all or nothing boat. You need to be able to light it up from any place in its power band.

Even though I set the boat up as the plans said, I may start working with moving the engine toward the transom a bit CG is something to consider since it is a bit nose heavy at 14 1/4 inches.
You got half of it, and that's a good thing. Weight is only half the battle. Balance and set up are the other half. Having a super light boat won't do anything for you if the set up isn't right.

No not yet Sam, the water is to hard here in mid Michigan. Maybe by mid April I will get out to the pond.

where are you all running your boats? What state?

I will see what she does after I sand the bottom ride surfaces and put in a set of bearings.

if the boat won’t run constantly,I’ll move the motor back a bit. I also am going to try my new Mojo turn fin.

thanks jim

I’m from KY but race all over. We normally run all the IMPBA D14 races but with Covid and other issues we didn’t run as much. Last year or the year prior. We race in Sport Boat country.

James I finally got ours out back together and the it weighs 6 pounds minus fuel. On her PT hull. And it’s won plenty of races and came runner up at the Nitro Nats behind Brad.

Thanks Sam, buy what I seen in this post 6 pounds seem to be where there at. What motor are you powering the PT with?

Thanks for the info on the weight. I haven’t sanded the bottom of ride surfaces yet. That will be my next focus.

and I have 3 go to props, ABC 1515, 1516, octura m440.

ever since I repaired my transom after hitting a turtle or pond monster of some type, it hasn’t run consistently.
Falls on and off the pipe regularly.
It was end of season so it may be bearings.

thanks for pointing out that set up is more important than weight.
It looks as 6.2 pounds it average.
Would really consider breakaway rudder,saves transoms. A heavier boat will run fast , just won't accelerate as quick.

Thanks for the info Ron. And it dose have a break away rudder, the brass screw did snap and is gone.
I failed to see that rudder would only go back about 35 degrees before hitting bracket.

to bad I didn’t catch that. So that’s what I get

Latest posts

Back