Seal then filler, or Filler then seal?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradley Maglinger

I have had some boaters ask what I thought was better, Seal the wooden hull first then use filler(finishing putty) or use filler on the wood boat, then seal. I have done it both ways but curious what majority of the people do. I currently use West 207/105 and a Polyester Icing finishing putty.

Going to follow along on this one ..
I have a zippkit mono that is in the finishing stage, and my plan is to leave it natural and maybe a little light color on the deck, interior and accent stripes on the sides for better visibility... I bought it here on IW and it was already sealed at least once..

I don't hardly see any spots that need filler, so I'm guessing wet sand, install strut tube, final glass work if needed, seal with finishing polyester.. wet sand again, spray color, spray clear coat....
Sound about right ??

I have a zippkit mono that is in the finishing stage, and my plan is to leave it natural and maybe a little light color on the deck, interior and accent stripes on the sides for better visibility... I bought it here on IW and it was already sealed at least once..

I don't hardly see any spots that need filler, so I'm guessing wet sand, install strut tube, final glass work if needed, seal with finishing polyester.. wet sand again, spray color, spray clear coat....
Sound about right ??
Sounds good to me :)

If I remember correctly that boat has 2 coats of epoxy. Both coats were scraped with a card right before setup. It's pretty much ready for any finish.

Sound about right ??

Going to wet sand it first and hopefully it will be good enough to go straight to paint and clear.

I would have loved to been able to stained and cleared it. Cherry or Walnut stain would look nice !

yes most of the time if its is something like a first layer of fiberglass no it would make it hard to stick the secodn layer unless you like to spend half a day sanding but if its a last layer you should be fine

I dont use epoxy for finish work.. I use catalyzed Clear Auto paint. Two coats scraping between coats.. then primer if your going to add color, then any fillers.. Prime and paint..

If no color then add another coat of clear and scrape.. spray two wet coats.. done.

Grim

Great idea Mike.

BTW. If stained wood is your desired finish, DO NOT use Minwax stain!!! It is the worst. Blotchy and inconsistant. USE Zar brand stain. Goes on easy and even. Very cosistent. You will thank me later.

I use a sealing product called TOTAL BOAT penetrating 2 part epoxy from Jamestown
It has a very thin viscosity

I then fill the grain with PPG clear. Sand and paint

I spray the tank and motor area and have NO problem with the paint lifting

BTW I like Mas epoxy better than West System
Mas does not yellow and has a thinner viscosity

Attachments

• 2BDE3DC7-6DB4-4565-A062-FE8D56CDFA46.jpeg
    2BDE3DC7-6DB4-4565-A062-FE8D56CDFA46.jpeg
    841.1 KB · Views: 29
  • F97B23AF-95DD-482F-AB13-7A2F554B2C64.jpeg
    F97B23AF-95DD-482F-AB13-7A2F554B2C64.jpeg
    742.1 KB · Views: 29