1/2A Rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Propjockey

Just tossin' around some ideas here. I have a spankin' new Norvel .061 on a shelf.

S'pose I built a balsa and ply rigger in the neighborhood of 12" long and 1" wide. Skis for sponsons about 5-6 inches apart. All micro radio gear and AAA batteries.

What prop?

Construction technique?

Marty (Hammerhead) ws thinking about having us try to build him a 1/2A version of the HH.12 . The Norvel would be a god choice with a throttleable carb plus an available heat sink head. Props would be tricky, a 31 or 32 MM prop might be too large. I'd have to look to see what Octura has.

Hello Guys,

I would suggest going about 17". I built one and the thing only weighed 4oz all up. Silly fast and quite the handful to drive, can't imagine driving something smaller. There is a X427 you could try for a prop, I ran a X431 on this one.

Specs;

Length over all 17 inches.

Tub width is 2"

Sponson width is 1 1/8th

Booms are .156 carbon rod

Here's a pic of the hull before it was finished, the left sponson was 3" from the tub and the right one was 2 3/4".

microrig.jpg

Paul.

KEWL idea PJ :D

Ya might hold off on the ski (sponsons) till I have done some testing, The toss might take a little practice, and its hard to tell what will work (length & width)

just building from the two pics I have.

Gene B)

Last edited by a moderator:
A narrow conventional sponson with a hammer cut might work out good. just a thought

Be careful with the narrow sponsons, it makes hard for the little motors to get up on plane. I think that a wider sponson with a step and a narrow riding surface is a better way to go.

Mike

We did this a few years back. It was a blast!

If you think a bunch of .21's ripping around the pond are loud, you should hear 3 or 4 of these things go :blink: . We had no mufflers on them though.

The only problem we had was props. We used some small plastic Dumas props. They worked well. Speeds were probably only in the low 20's and the stupid things quit more than they ran, but they were neat.

Perer R.

www.climatemodels.com

We used everything from a Cox Tee Dee 051 to a Norvell .074

The riggers were scratch built.

We used a slide in firewall and an airplane mount to hold the engines in. it worked well as you could swap engines in a few min. just by pulling the firewall and mount as a unit.

Hardware was Octura .098 cable with a home made stub (milled bolt) and hardware.

We used a small flywheel made from some old Skdaddle hardware sets.

Starting the **** things was the hardest part. We used a rubber wheel on an electric starter that we made out of some old parts from a photo copier.

We ripped one boat apart when Cory slipped with the starter and crushed it. :(

Servos were Command HS55 micros. Receiver (I am ashamed to admit) was a Hitec Shredder.

Battery pack was a 4 cell 270Mah pack. Fuel tank was an old sheet metal tank we slavaged from a U-control plane.

I will warn you, if you get mad when engines wont start or run well, this is probably not a project for you. :huh:

The little buggers are touchy.

Peter R.

www.climatemodels.com

Hey PJ,

At the opposite end of the spectrum, Me and Tom's FF .12 SAW hulls would wheelie with a flat toss if ya gave it to much throttle, So its a balance'n act. ;)

Gene :D

one of my first ever scratch built riggers..... this one was nothing but problems...... but i'm more knowledgeable now and would like to give it another go!

View attachment 1007

MikeP said:
Be careful with the narrow sponsons, it makes hard for the little motors to get up on plane. I think that a wider sponson with a step and a narrow riding surface is a better way to go.

Mike
Good point, I didn't think about the launch-ability. :p

Octura 1427 or 1630 with some cup would be my choice.

Hmmm... may need to make some special micro cupping pliers.

LOL Andy, you're a diehard prop dude. Already thinking prop tweaks for 1/2A to get every last bit of performance :D

Latest posts

Back