1/16th scale Hydro racing In Seattle

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimClark

I quit running with ERCU in the middle of the season last year and sold my boat. I decided I wanted to try to see if anyone would be interested in building and racing a spec 1/16th scale hydro. Gary Finlay very graciously donated a hull for testing and I began gathering gear to test different setups. The goal was to make a spec scale boat that was affordable would run aprox 35 mph and most of all fun to race. Here is what I have so far and I want to see if there are others who might be interested in joining in and having fun.

The boats would be 1/16th scale boats scratch built from Gary Finlay or Roger Newton plans or possibly from laser cut kits.

Motor would be a Ammo 28-45-3600kV Brushless In-Runner Electric Motor <a href="http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXLWY5&P=K" target="_blank">http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXLWY5&P=K</a>

Any Brushless ESC I am thinking a 70 to 80 amp so it is bullet proof but a 40 amp probably would also work

The strut would be mounted on the transom and you could use a solid shaft, wiredrive or flex shaft

Batteries would be a single 2S 2500 to 3000 20 lipo

We would turn left and also have a spec prop

A complete setup for a beginner who has nothing would be in the price range of 600 to 700 dollars

The Batteries would be under $50.00 each and you could get by on most likely two for a full days racing.

We like to have a series of races probably on Saturdays and would run the races at Bellevue Pond and hopefully the RC pond that will be at the new South Lake Union Park.

So far those who have expressed interest are myself, Monte Steere, David Gardner, John Burkey and Jim Lilly

If you are interested or would like more info please email

Jim Clark

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this isn't the place for it but i have a hull with prop,cable, servo and motor mount sitting in my storage unit.

I know it is planned but am not sure it ie definately going to be built or exactly what size it will be but here is a drawing of it

226713738-L.jpg

Tell me more about this RC Pond at South Lake Union Park. I know it's off the topic, but it sounds great.
JD

Hi Jim,

Since LiPos appeared on the scene, our local pond is becoming too small for even N-2 boats. We have been developing a "Santee" spec class that uses many of the available micro hulls in the 15"~ 17" range. I have found a cheap Chinese helicopter outrunner motor/30-amp ESC combo on ebay for $28, including shipping. This 3000 rpm/V motor makes my little Gecko fly on 6 round cells, and run for 11 minutes on 6 old 1950FAUP cells and a Graupner 29mm prop. My H&M micro has been over-powered with higher Kv versions of this motor (think Space Shuttle). I think the 3000 Kv version will be about right for this hull as well, and when I confirm it, I'll let you know. This setup should work well with Randy Naylor's $29.95 micro hydro, the H&M micro shovel nose, the MHZ micro shovel nose, and others. I am experimenting with running them on 1300 mah LiPos (cheap) and it looks like it will be no problem to make 4 minutes, with mill time, and be well below 80% capacity used. I think I can have a complete, race-ready hull on the water for about $200 ~ $250 using Randy's hull. Another fringe benefit of the small boats is ease of transport and smaller support equipment requirements.

I am also building a 17.25", Neu-powered, "Santee" Sport-Scale Hydro, just to see how well it can do.

Hi Jim,
Since LiPos appeared on the scene, our local pond is becoming too small for even N-2 boats. We have been developing a "Santee" spec class that uses many of the available micro hulls in the 15"~ 17" range.
I've suggested something like this a couple times now within our club as kind of a "winter" race series or something we could run on the smaller man-made ponds, etc...

A "micro" hydro, sport hydro, and Mono class, all using the same brushless system and battery arrangement... We have Malls and parks around here with small ponds and water features where this kind of class could be run... Sure would be easy to pack stuff around!!

I think a true 1/16th scale class would work in these venues as well... Aim for 30mph or so and go have some fun...

By the way, Jim... If you get this off the ground... I'm about ready... the left side turn fin mount is just about complete on my Finlay Oberto hull... I'd just need to get the motor and ESC and I'm good to go... ;)

Are you planning on running RH props to turn left?
Wire drives might be a better choice instead of reverse lay cable.

Tom W
Tom,

Based on what Jim told me, it's right hand props... and wires are legal... My boat is currently set up for a 1/16" wire... but I'm going to build a couple of .047 wire shafts for it...

Yes Tom RH props and turning left and whatever kind of shaft you so desire. I was going to do a wire drive for any new boat I build but the test hull I have that came all set up from Gary Finlay (thank you again Gary) has a 1/8th straight shaft and a dog bone u-joint and it runs great with the setup above. We didn't have a radar gun but it had to be between 35 and 40 and i could get probably 15 laps on one of the 2500mah batteries and the motor came back at slightly under 90 degrees with the batteries the same temp.

Jim

Are you planning on running RH props to turn left?
Wire drives might be a better choice instead of reverse lay cable.

just my .02

Tom W

Jim,

I got my Finlay Oberto together tonight and ready to run... Since I can't get the AMMO motor yet, I just put in a brushed motor for now... So here is the gear:

2S1P PolyRC 20C 3300mah Lipo

RC-Hydros SC-3 4-12 cell 90amp ESC

Orion Revolution 12x2 V2 Brushed motor (red-endbell)... still have to reverse the timing...

1/16" Wire drive

Boat weighs 2lbs 11.5oz in RTR trim... It's a little heavy because I laminated 1/64" ply over the 3/32 balsa for the entire hull... It was made to survive real head-to-head racing... I don't think the weight will hurt...

I also made an approximately scale sized turn fin... Looks good... we'll have to see how it works... Just need to find a decent day and a small pond...

Let me know if you figure out what you guys are going to do... I'll order a proper spec'd motor once I know...

Finlay_Oberto_1.jpg

Looks great Darin I can't wait to test the Wahoo against you. I will be in touch

Jim

Jim,
I got my Finlay Oberto together tonight and ready to run... Since I can't get the AMMO motor yet, I just put in a brushed motor for now... So here is the gear:

2S1P PolyRC 20C 3300mah Lipo

RC-Hydros SC-3 4-12 cell 90amp ESC

Orion Revolution 12x2 V2 Brushed motor (red-endbell)... still have to reverse the timing...

1/16" Wire drive

Boat weighs 2lbs 11.5oz in RTR trim... It's a little heavy because I laminated 1/64" ply over the 3/32 balsa for the entire hull... It was made to survive real head-to-head racing... I don't think the weight will hurt...

I also made an approximately scale sized turn fin... Looks good... we'll have to see how it works... Just need to find a decent day and a small pond...

Let me know if you figure out what you guys are going to do... I'll order a proper spec'd motor once I know...

Finlay_Oberto.jpg

Whether it is turning to the left or right. This size hull and a conservative power system like Jim has developed is a sweet combination, both in classic round-nose or pickle-fork.

Doing the right-hand prop and right turn, which limits everyone to an X-430R is the magic in this class. Everyone will have to put the power into the water with the same wheel. So, whatever people find to “push” the rules, they will still have the same limit on getting the power down.

Go for it Jim. If I were in Seattle, I’d sign up now.

Garry

Garry
Garry,

You should think of signing up anyhow... Brian has been talking about it... and I'm sure he'd pull John in as well... That'd be at least three down your way, and I'd be more than willing to make the trip for a day of racing!!

The Game is on Gary I am definately not running the bigger boats any more. Maybe we can hit the road for a little Seattle/ Portland grudge race.

How bout it ya up for a little turning left Gary?

Jim

Whether it is turning to the left or right. This size hull and a conservative power system like Jim has developed is a sweet combination, both in classic round-nose or pickle-fork.
Doing the right-hand prop and right turn, which limits everyone to an X-430R is the magic in this class. Everyone will have to put the power into the water with the same wheel. So, whatever people find to “push” the rules, they will still have the same limit on getting the power down.

Garry

Back