1/16th scale Hydro racing In Seattle

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEFT turns, the way hydros are suppose to go.

This sounds like the way to get me out of the house next year. Count me in. I will get with Bill, Brian, Luke, and Dave. We may get an Oregon contingent going.

Now all they have to do is get I-5 open….

Garry

These will be fun, but I don't think they're going to let me do any prop mods :unsure:

Brian, that would be an interesting situation. If the prop was originally an X430R, and you could not add material, should prop modifications be allowed? Of course, there may be some latitude on “balancing and sharpening”.

Just thinking about how the pot could get stirred. This is Jim’s game, and I am all for the way he wants to set it up.

Garry

We could race on I-5 at least of for the next 3 days

LEFT turns, the way hydros are suppose to go.
This sounds like the way to get me out of the house next year. Count me in. I will get with Bill, Brian, Luke, and Dave. We may get an Oregon contingent going.

Now all they have to do is get I-5 open….

Garry

The original idea was to just have the one prop and allow only balancing and sharpening and no reshaping or cupping. We are just trying to make it as even as possible and fun.It's the same reason we decided against a modified car motor as it opens things up to com turning and modifying the motors. I will admit the one car motor I tested was not a real hot motor by any means and it was clearly faster than the ammo motor.

The one problem I am encountering is finding a reasonable priced brushless ESC. I am just not sure how big to get. I have a Hacker 70 in the test boat and I want to get another as I will soon hopefully start on another hull a 67 Bardahl and need another esc. Not sure if Castle is going to continue making the Baracuda 80 nor do I know for sure how big of an esc we might need Brian or Darin got any ideas how many amps a setup like this will pull?

Jim

These will be fun, but I don't think they're going to let me do any prop mods :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim,

I'm just teasing you. I understand the reasoning.

I doubt we'll be pulling much ove 30 amps. I'll have to look around ebay and see what I can find for ESC's.

On the test I did with the hacker 70 and the ammo motor I ran probably 15 laps on the small pond that we are looking at racing them with the only right hand prop the x430r and it came back at just under 90 degrees. Mu guess is we could probably use a 40 to 60 amp esc and be rock solid.

jim

After thinking on this overnight I think I will try a Castle Phoenix 60. I already have the Pstix from Andy and I have a can of silicone conformal spray so that could work out just fine and be rock solid. I might even try to add water cooling though I am not sure it will need it.

Jim

On the test I did with the hacker 70 and the ammo motor I ran probably 15 laps on the small pond that we are looking at racing them with the only right hand prop the x430r and it came back at just under 90 degrees. Mu guess is we could probably use a 40 to 60 amp esc and be rock solid.
jim

Hi Ron do you know how long Bellevue is?

Jim

When I have set the course there, I normally just pace off the buoy locations. The width at the narrowest points is about 125 feet which gives about a 24 foot radius turn and 40-45 feet clearence to the walls. My guess is the length from east wall to the pool floats by the waterfall is at least 300 feet. Hope that helps Jim. Are you ready for a 1/16th Such Crust III?

Bring it on Ron you are welcome I can send you the the gear list if you want just let me know

jim

Bring it on Ron you are welcome I can send you the the gear list if you want just let me know
jim
Ok time to talk Turkey or i mean chicken feed whats the hull cost and whats the total cost involved...thanks Mike

These will all be scratch built from either Gary Finlay or Roger newton plans, there will be a Karelsen Laser kit available in a couple of months. The whole shebang for someone who has nothing t start with should price out at 600 to 700.

Jim

jim
Ok time to talk Turkey or i mean chicken feed whats the hull cost and whats the total cost involved...thanks Mike

jim
Please do Jim, you have my e-mail address. Two questions:

1. Am I allowed to work from my own plans rather than Newton or Finlay plans?

2. What are the dimensional tolerance limits that I must build within?

I will email you Ron

jim
Please do Jim, you have my e-mail address. Two questions:

1. Am I allowed to work from my own plans rather than Newton or Finlay plans?

2. What are the dimensional tolerance limits that I must build within?

Hello,

I am new to electrics, but I am very interested in this setup you guys have been talking about. With the popularity of the sv27 motor/ESC setup I was wondering why you didnt consider this setup. I noticed it was rated for 7.2-18 volts. It would allow someone to run it in the 1/16 hydros and later a 1/12 scale. Like I said I am new to electrics and there could be a very good reason that I am not aware of, but it was just a thought. Also what is a PiStix? Is this (PiStix) needed for the non stick type controllers?

Jeff

Back