My new 41" Kneeler build (well, building 2 of them)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
Well, this was started a long time back, and then it sat on the shelf unfinished for about 3 months. I finally got back on it last week. It is a redone version of JD's orginal 3.5 kneeler, but 41" long. I redid the bow, and the stern, and the cowling area. The sponsons were modified a little from original design. Got it together, and got the first coat of epoxy done. Now its time for sanding. I am building 2 of them. The last pic shows the other one I have to install the sponsons to the center. That one is being sold as soon as its done. The hull can be used as a 7.5 mod, or 11cc nitro, or FE. Tons of battery room. I am going to do an Outboard 7.5 leg FE setup on the one I'm keeping. So far, with the first coat of epoxy laid, the bare hull weights about 4.2lbs. Not bad for a 41" hull! I need to get everything else installed before I can decide on a motor for it. I will keep the updates coming. May move this to the FE forum once the power plant is installed. Enjoy, Mike

IMGP0022Large.jpg

IMGP0023Large.jpg

IMGP0024Large.jpg

IMGP0025Large.jpg

IMGP0027Large.jpg

IMGP0028Large.jpg

Well, I build a 42" version of JD's original kneeler last year, with 11cc engine, and it ran really nice. Jerry now owns that hull. I have plenty of lipo batteries already, so now its just a matter of what power I want to use. There is enough room in the radio box area to put 10000mah, 12 cell lipo setup if it warrented that. Right now, I am thinking 6-8 cell setup tho. Time will tell. I need to know the finished weight of the boat before I can finalize the power arrangements tho!. So my next steps are finishing the exterior epoxy/ clear coating, install the servo setup, modify a lower leg (11cc K&B to start with, maybe a lawless later), and then I think about the power! Mike

Ok, here are some new ones. I am getting closer and closer on the first hull, got the motor hung, and I got the second hull glued together last night. Im gonna get that mercury cowling fitting and it will be used. I sourcing some F1 decals right now for it. I think its gonna look cool back there! Here are the pics of both hulls. If anyone has any interest in the second hull, let me know, and let me know if you want to go FE or nitro, I would love to get it claimed soon! Mike

IMGP0052Large.jpg

IMGP0053Large.jpg

IMGP0054Large.jpg

IMGP0055Large.jpg

IMGP0056Large.jpg

and the second hull.....

IMGP0057Large.jpg

IMGP0060Large.jpg

IMGP0059Large.jpg

Hey, Its actually an old DPI cowling. I am gonna mold that one so I can recreate it with epoxy glass so it can be thinner, lighter, and stronger. I think this one is way to small for a zenoah tho. You could build one from scratch and make a mold tho. That would be the best way to do it.

I have more that will be posted in the next hour or two. Been working in the field all morning, finally back to the office! Mike

I found a decal supplier. He sent me a mock up of the decal for the cowling to check fitment. The final will be vinyl and glossy. I just stuck it up there quick..hence the crookedness. Its gonna look awesome! I also put automotive clear on the top last night..should look shinier :)

IMGP0091Large.jpg

IMGP0092Large.jpg

IMGP0093Large.jpg

freakn sweet. i love the wood boats, bro thats good workmenship right their. keep up the good job. nice ride

Thanks. I made the Merc Cowling mold today. Gonna try and pull a part later this week! Mike

Here is the cowling and decals I had made. Should look really nice! Below that is the 3 boats I am working on right now. They are a 34" Hornet tunnel, The 41" kneeler, and the 41" Capsule Hydro! Wish I had more time! Mike

enginemold.jpg

DSCF2608Large.jpg

DSCF2609Large.jpg

By the look of the hood on the truck,your next build maybe should be a WoF table

Ed

Haha, Believe me, I put that hull ever so gently on my hood. The Taco can take the abuse tho!

Started on the radio box last night. I got it epoxyed this morning, but that is not in the pics.

kneeler.jpg

Thanks William, Here are a couple more from this evening so far. Waiting on the black to dry...Probably going to start cutting up my new Hornet tunnel hull for FE! ouch! lol

Oh, as you can see, 2- 4 cell lipos fit just fine...and if I wanted to get crazy, 4- 4 cell lipos would still fit fine! That would be crazy tho. This boat is much to light.

IMGP0002Large.jpg

IMGP0005Large.jpg

Looking nice, there is ton's of room in there for some massive battery power, parallel the packs for awesome run time....

Back