Opinions needed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cleatus Cooper

Well after a short layoff of boats I have decided to do it again. Just picked up a new Speedmaster 40 mono (thanks Mark) and have decided to try an ops 45. Need some opionions on how well they run and if any special secrets are needed to make them turn on :rolleyes:

Well after a short layoff of boats I have decided to do it again. Just picked up a new Speedmaster 40 mono (thanks Mark) and have decided to try an ops 45. Need some opionions on how well they run and if any special secrets are needed to make them turn on :rolleyes:
I've been running the OPS 45 disc for 3yrs. They are fast, dependable, economically priced and parts are easily found. I find they lite up on an OPS 67 pipe (reduced stinger)-Don

OPS engines have been good to me and I second the readily available parts. The 67 pipe works good as well as the Brown Parabolic.

I run a OPS 45 in an AC boats hull. Iam running the OPS 45 tuned pipe w/add on muffler, and was wanting to know whats the length you run yours at? Why do you use the 67 pipe?

I run a OPS 45 in an AC boats hull. Iam running the OPS 45 tuned pipe w/add on muffler, and was wanting to know whats the length you run yours at? Why do you use the 67 pipe?

Was sorta wondering myself about the 67 pipe but upon looking at the nitro pipe that came with it it does appear to be a rather small volume pipe for a 45 size motor. :unsure:

the 67 pipe is a larger volume pipe than the recomended pipe. the reason(or at least one) you use the 67 pipe is it allows the motor to draw more fuel in, you can also run it alot shorter than the recomended pipe and still have alot of fuel inside the motor( the more fuel you have the more lube you have) you can also swing a bigger prop. the motor just breathes alot better. on the stinger you have to reduce the stinger diameter(the muffler helps with this) you can use brass to do this. when you reduce the stinger dia you heat up the motor this is a plus. if anyone is interested i have at least one of the ops 60 pipes with reduced dia and mufflers that im willing to let go.

Last edited by a moderator:
real basic things to look for with these motors is the rotor. Look under http://rcboat.com/past.htm and readup on fitting the rotor to the rotor housing. that seal goes away after a while and the motor gets hard to launch and will die for no appearent reason. tighten up the rotor and that should go away.

You will notice a big difference in performance between the OPS 45 pipe and the OPS 67 pipe.start at 10 1/2 and work your way down. Some guys make it to 9"!!!!!

Other pipes is likes are the 10CC MACs airplane pipe (another 60 pipe) both muffled and unmuffled but not the quiet.

Back