Trailer - Keep it Simple ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the whole kit and it was excellent. I would also recomend buying the whole kit. The nice thing about these racks is that they are very light. I also plan on mounting two chrome 1/2 pipes on the outside of the trailer so that when I am at the lake I can lift the rack out and hang it on the outside of the trailer to clear room inside.

D

I will be choosing between a Honda and Yamaha 2000W portable generator. Noise level is the primary selection criteria then weight and cost.
First off, I'd get which ever one you can pair up with another 2000w generator in series if need be and run an A/C unit. A friend of mine here just picked up a Ryobi 2000w clean power generator for use with his electric boats and he paid something like $500 at Home Depot. Really nice little generator and it's basically a copy of the Yamaha and Honda styling.

Your trailer sounds like it's coming together nicely - I am actually reading post for post - and may see more done by the time I finish reading. However... From my experience few few people work inside the trailer. I had a 7x14 that was just too big and down sized to a 6x10. I added a rooftop AC unit and was made fun of by most until the Humidity levels were as high as the Heat (2002 IMPBA Internats) just ask Phil Thomas as he snuck in a nap while nobody could find him as his heat of 1/8th scale was being called to the pits!

My ideal trailer setup is barn doors on the rear and a side door. Shelves that go from side to side and are at the back of the trailer. Easy to get boats in and out. Anything 6x10 and larger, I'd build a small work bench (light! something made for a trailer not for a home) up front. It's nice to sit inside with AC and a work bench to rebuild an engine, work over a prop, or just simply eat a sandwich at the races. Any trailer smaller than 6x10, I still like the same setup but minus the work bench.

In fact, we just got my friend JC's trailer ready to head to races this year. He has a Haulmark 5x8 with rear ramp and a side door. We made each shelf bolt down with two lag bolts and wing nuts on each side. Easy to remove. He uses his trailer for his motorcycle on occaision so we had to take that into consideration. I'll post some pics this weekend from our trip to Tucson to race. While Herzog boat racks and the CC Racing racks are slick - your boat doesn't sit on it's stand and you have to transport your stand somewhere. I personally like to make my stands custom to each boat and make them really support the hull. I have yet to buy another trailer, but I keep an eye on all of these threads gathering ideas for when I do...

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on Jay 2002 Nats was nothing like the last Huntsville Nats. Inside my tent at 8 in the am was 100 ........2002 was a blast esp when Joe Warren got the fire extinguisher out after Oscar Leech

Mikey, it was the humidity that killed us desert boys. We raced in 113* weather this past year, and it was stifling! The 2002 Internats was an absolute blast for sure. So many great laughs! Where is Oscar these days?

I just finalized and approved my order, after a lot of mulling over what I wanted. Its a 6x10 all aluminum construction on 16" centers, frame is 3x2 aluminum tubing not C channel, screwless exterior, 30 inch wedge front, barn doors, 22.5 degree up torsion axles (motorcycle lowrider style), LED lights, 36 inch side door with RV style lock and handle, white finished walls, stabilizer jacks, overall height of the trailer as ordered will be 83" (after I put the 205.60.15's on will be 81.75".

Tony, congrats on your new trailer! I hope you enjoy building yours out as much as I did mine. Did you get tandem? For you FE boys... My 2x4 monocrystaline panel has been amazing. I have used my trailer at the lake quite a bit lately with a single deep cycle marine battery I have been running lights, charging my FEs and running the stereo and the panel has kept the battery charged all day. I was planning on buying a generator and I am rigged for one but right now between my solar panel, battery and inverter I am completely self contained!

D

Latest posts

Back