Trailer - Keep it Simple ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ron I have a back up camera installed on my trailer, the video comes through on my trucks stereo.

i guess you would have to decide if you want to do all of your work outside or inside?. i have a 5x10 with just a shelf bolted down to hold approx 6 boats, works very well for me and tows great inbehind my v6 minivan. on the other side my buddy has a 7x16 with just about everything in it, a/c heat, generator, dc inverter with dual batterys, upper&lower cabinets, sink, and enough rack storage for 14 boats. very heavy , uses a suburban to tow with. so there is 2 opposite ends of trailer use, you have to deside whats best for you

I guess that is really the question. How many people actually work inside the trailer? At the races I have been to I have not seen a lot of people work inside the trailer. I know it seems kinda sexy to have a rolling workshop but is it practical? I can see adequate storage in the form of cabinets to keep tools/part/acc but beyond that I am not sure.

I would really like to hear from people who have built their trailers as work areas and do they really use them that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is a half and half.. I setup my pits outside the trailer.. I do prop work, charge batteries, assemble reloads (rockets) and get out of the rain if needed. If my trailer was larger I still think I would do the same. Im not sure I want to be "inside" all day at a boat race, rocket launch or heil event.

The windows are much better under my EZ-UP then from the view inside my trailer. lol

Grim

So this is what I have so far. The trailer is a 2012 Haulmark 7x12 with tandem axels. I sealed the entire interior plywood panels with a high grade oil based deck stain. I did this to protect the interior from moisture and make it somewhat easy to clean. I chose the oil based stain over a poly finish for two reasons, cost and durability. The oil based finish is both more durable and less expensive. It took a while for it to dry out a enough where I didn't get lighheaded working in the trailer but it's good now.

I spent most of my efforts in developing the systems in the trailer. I have put a deep cycle marine battery, a RV class 3000W auto load sensing inverterter/charger and a 130W monocrystalline solar panel on the roof with a Nature's Power 40W solar charging system. With a solar panel this large my batteries should remain fully charged all the time even using my battery for charging FE batteries. I have a complete 110V system in the trailer including a external 30A tether receptacle. The system is protected by a GFI breaker to prevent any problems with electric shock through the frame of the trailer. I am also using two 12V 40A Rigrunner power distributions systems both protected by a 50A thermal breaker. The first Rigrunner will be for the workbench for chargers for the FE batteries and other 12V appliances. The second Rigrunner is in the lower cabinets and provides power to the electric brake, interior lighting, electric jack and the inverter control. I may be adding an active vent fan for the battery compartment that will run only when the battery is charging either from the inverter or solar panel to get rid of any nitrogen gas buildup during charging operations. I will be choosing between a Honda and Yamaha 2000W portable generator. Noise level is the primary selection criteria then weight and cost.

The solar panel is switched to disable it during storage periods. I also have the electric jack switched to prevent tampering with the jack when not in use. It took some work but I was able to mount all systems in the walls. The walls of the trailer are only about 2". Using retro-fit plastic "J" boxes that are only about 1 3/4" deep to mount all the outlets. It was very tight getting the outlets in these boxes and I had to think about wire routing before installing the outlets to make sure everything would fit. All of the 12V systems are fed by 10 gauge zip cord that is thermally rated.

For the flooring I am going to be using a rubber diamond plate one piece floor. This flooring is resistant to most chemicals and oils and should be easy to clean. I chose the diamond plate because it is a light color and reflects the light nicely. The rear ramp is also covered in the rubber diamond plate and secure with a high grade pressure sensitive acrylic adhesive.

There are four double LED light fixtures (two overhead and two over the workbench) that provide a nice level of lighting. Because they are LED the consume little power. I also installed several Gladiator off-the-shelf cabinets for storage. I have a vertical 48wx72hx12d that will provide the bulk of the storage. On the other wall I mounted three 28hx28wx12d hanging cabinets for additional storage.

D

David

When you get you masterpiece finished we would like to see a picture of your trailer.

Beau

David,

Be careful on the motion detector,I had it on my trailor and the wind would set it off, the people who stayed at the race site said it scared the S$%^ out of them had to disconnect that part of the system

Walt Barney

David , I have a Yamaha 2400 generator and it is super quiet , very reliable . Also having a table top bandsaw and belt sander is indispensible at the races . I use them all the time (as well as others ) . My trailer is also 7 X 12 but has to double as a utility and Dirt Bike trailer so no cabinetry in mine , I just setup 4 tables outside and 2 inside with all my stuff under the table in containers . Works for me .

Nice setup David!!! Just looked at your pictures, I could live in that trailer if you added a microwave!!! Nice work.

Microwave... HECK. stripper pole!..

Bow chickia bow wow............

Looks great!

Grim

http://www.cargotrailersonline.com/5widesa.html

Here is a link to a tailer builder in GA I found that has pretty good prices. I actually am getting a 5x8 V-nose that will fit in my garage and allow us to travel at 70+ mph and use a mid size car or suv. The walk in trailer was nice but we wind up working outside under a canopy anyway. On a 600mi trip it should save $125 in fuel over my 7X12. Pulling that sail at 70 and your mileage was really crap.

Mic

Microwave... HECK. stripper pole!..

Bow chickia bow wow............

Looks great!

Grim
I had a buddy that traveled to all the diesel pulls and events that had a stripper pole that hooked up to his goose neck!!!! His truck was by far the most popular! !!!!

"Hey dad, can I have a dollar?"

"Why son?"

"Well, ya see, there's this trailer in the pits with a stripper pole in it and............"

"Hang on son, I'll grab my wallet and be right there!"

With gas at $4.00 a gal and will probably go higher we maybe parking our trailer and try and get the stuff in the back of the truck. I hate to be political, but we have a BAD situation with oil and gas. Doc

Uggh! I hear that, I was planning on taking my motorhome to a few away races but that is probably not going to happen now.

Dave

Back