Trailer - Keep it Simple ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Santistevan

I just got my new trailer and I am working on the design of the internal components. I was just looking for some feedback for those with trailers and ideas that they really ended liking or realize they hated after it was done. I was at a race last summer where one of the racers made the comment that his idea to put cabinets along the side of the trailer was a real pain and he regretted doing because of the space they took and the limited amount he actually used them. So this is what I am looking for:

1) Does the trailer really work as a mobile workshop where you actually spend your time working on the boats. I see most guys working on their tables outside the trailer. Is it worth the cost and space to put workshop cabinetry or does it make sense to focus on more efficient storage like vertical shelving units?

2) What equipment do you have in your trailer that is a MUST or you would like to have (compressors, chargers etc.). I have seen trailers with flat panel TVs, refrigerators, microwaves and so on. I am really not planning on doing any camping in the trailer but I would like to hear opinions on this type of equipment in the trailer.

3) What are folks using for flooring? I thought about a nice indoor/outdoor carpet however it seems like a lot of work to keep it clean and I am not sure what the wear factor would be. I also thought about rubber coin mat and is my current inclination. Anything better ?

4) Boat racks, I think I have this one solved. I thought about several designs and decided to take a look at manufactured options. After finding several I settled on the Herzog Racing Piranha rack system. This is super light weight and can be removed without tools and hung on the outside of the trailer if you so like (see below).

5) What power systems are needed in the trailer. I guess a lot of this depends on wether you decided to put a "workshop" in the trailer and what equipment you plan on putting in the trailer. 110V wiring in a trailer is a special deal and requires a lot of thought for safety so I am really thinking this one through. I would love to hear your input. I am planing on having at least one deep cycle marine battery to power internal systems. I am planing on a solar panel on the roof to keep it charged.

Anything else you think might be helpful from your experience with your trailer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

D

SIMS1704.jpg

CNC LG Full 3 Boat.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
What size is your new trailer?

I can send you some pic's of what was done inside of my 6X12 Vee nose.

I have been happy with what was done.

Just added some items over the last few days

Dave, My trailer is dedicated to rc boats, so I like all the storage I can get, and I also like the "pans" my boats sit in, you never have enough space for shafts, misc parts ect... they dont roll all over.

I also have a 2 bungi cord system per boat to keep them secure.

I have added since these pics, paper towel racks, spray can racks, 5 gal bucket for your canopy steaks,ropes ect.

I painted the inside first to brighten and seal the wood, laid b/w checkerboard vinyl wall to wall, then non slip carpet that can be removed and washed down.

http://www.pitproducts.com/jrvaca.html

http://pitposse.com/trac.html

Mine is 5X10 tall with a V nose. Mine has to be some what universal as it hauls boats one day, Helis the next and then its on to Rockets!

Anyway.. All doors swing open (i did not want a ramp). The side door is what I use most for working in the trailer and truth is I have pickled my 1/8 scale boat on the front work table (in the V).. works great. I can even haul my 50 size Augusta 109 on that bench.. It sits right on the bench and rides no problem. I have a removable rack that sits long way side to side close to the center of the trailer.. its up against one side of the trailer.. reason being is I can fit boats, rockets or helis on it and park my tent, generator and what not in the back half.. and my other stuff in the front half..

The trailer is in storage right now or I would snap a few pics.

Grim

I have a buddy who does custom cabinets for homes and he was able to CAD up a cabinet for the front of the trailer (in the V). I have attached the drawing for ideas.

David trailer .pdf

Attachments

• David trailer .pdf
    285.2 KB · Views: 138
my old trailer had cabinets.. no more.. they were OK but more weight and less room over all in the trailer.

Grim

I just got my new trailer and I am working on the design of the internal components. I was just looking for some feedback for those with trailers and ideas that they really ended liking or realize they hated after it was done. I was at a race last summer where one of the racers made the comment that his idea to put cabinets along the side of the trailer was a real pain and he regretted doing because of the space they took and the limited amount he actually used them. So this is what I am looking for:

1) Does the trailer really work as a mobile workshop where you actually spend your time working on the boats. I see most guys working on their tables outside the trailer. Is it worth the cost and space to put workshop cabinetry or does it make sense to focus on more efficient storage like vertical shelving units?

2) What equipment do you have in your trailer that is a MUST or you would like to have (compressors, chargers etc.). I have seen trailers with flat panel TVs, refrigerators, microwaves and so on. I am really not planning on doing any camping in the trailer but I would like to hear opinions on this type of equipment in the trailer.

3) What are folks using for flooring? I thought about a nice indoor/outdoor carpet however it seems like a lot of work to keep it clean and I am not sure what the wear factor would be. I also thought about rubber coin mat and is my current inclination. Anything better ?

4) Boat racks, I think I have this one solved. I thought about several designs and decided to take a look at manufactured options. After finding several I settled on the Herzog Racing Piranha rack system. This is super light weight and can be removed without tools and hung on the outside of the trailer if you so like (see below).

5) What power systems are needed in the trailer. I guess a lot of this depends on wether you decided to put a "workshop" in the trailer and what equipment you plan on putting in the trailer. 110V wiring in a trailer is a special deal and requires a lot of thought for safety so I am really thinking this one through. I would love to hear your input. I am planing on having at least one deep cycle marine battery to power internal systems. I am planing on a solar panel on the roof to keep it charged.

Anything else you think might be helpful from your experience with your trailer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

D
Dave can you give a website to get those racks?

I don't know if Jeff has a website but his e-mail is [email protected]. These are very nice. He CNCs them from furniture grade birtch. I lightly sanded mine and then put a little clear on them to finish them out. He sells them for somewhere around $150 but you have to supply the dowls and noodle foam. For $199 he sent them complete including shipping. I ordered them and had them in a few days. Once I finished them it took about 30 minutes to assemble them.

D

Athough I have done it for years, strapping boats down with bungie cords is a bad deal. If you live any place where it gets hot for extended periods, and if you store the boats inside your trailer, you risk warpping the hulls. Been there done that. One of the best setups I have observed for Cats, hydros and tunnel hulls is a system that holds the hulls near verticle, about 15 or 20degrees off of verticle. This system removes all possibility of damage to your ride surfaces by foam or PVC pipes, and eliminates all possibility of warpage. James Beasley

Joe,

Nice setup on your trailer, thanks for the pics. Bill, I have seen your trailer before, it's nicer than my house...

D

Rick,

I have a 7x12. I would love to see your trailer.
David;

I'm just coming into one of the busiest weekends of my year,, (The Atlanta Boat Show) If you could wait till Monday night, I'd be more than happy to take a few pic's.

It's just full of yard equipment, and generator..

I do have cabinets very similar to what your buddy drew up for you. I purchased mine, ready mage & finished from Home Depot. Made my own counter top to fit the V-Nose.

I did just add a DVD player, 19" TV that will play sound through the stereo.

Grim,

That is funny about your Heli's I flew helis for over 10 years and just recently got rid of all my heli and airplace stuff... Called my buddies and told them to come and get anything they wanted to clear out room for the boats :)

I hope someone can cover my questions on this subject. I love the benefit of someone elses experience so any suggestions would be appreciated.

D

Another thing to think about.

I do not store my boats in my trailer. I dont have decals all over it "suggesting" what might be inside.. It has a stereo and a few charges and some support eqip... that’s about it..

Last thing I want to do is advertise what’s inside and risk losing it to some thug. My boats and what not get unloaded each and every race.

I like simple..

Grim

Another thing to think about.

I do not store my boats in my trailer. I dont have decals all over it "suggesting" what might be inside.. It has a stereo and a few charges and some support eqip... that’s about it..

Last thing I want to do is advertise what’s inside and risk losing it to some thug. My boats and what not get unloaded each and every race.

I like simple..

Grim
Yes Grim. I do not have an option to remove and store my boats elsewhere, but I too am very security consious. Nothing on my trailer to indicate its contents. Thieves will pick and choose by what they see. If it looks like expensive stuff from the outside, then they know it has the same inside. Also, make sure you take pictures of everything inside your trailer for insurance purposes. Had done that last year when I had my trailer fire and was able to get EVERYTHING replaced that was damaged. Otherwise, it would have been Big bucks lost. Sorta like the need to back up your computer data, you know you should do it, but only about 1 in 10 people will actually take the time to do it. Free advice guys. James

Somthing else you should think about is an alarm system, I put one on my trailor for about $100.00 I did add a very loud siren, I do take my R/C stuff out when I quit playing for the weekend, but when I am in Alabama I put the trailor in my garage and keep everything in the trailor.

Walt Barney

Somthing else you should think about is an alarm system, I put one on my trailor for about $100.00 I did add a very loud siren, I do take my R/C stuff out when I quit playing for the weekend, but when I am in Alabama I put the trailor in my garage and keep everything in the trailor.

Walt Barney
Great idea and too easy. Thanks

I've got a 5' x 8' Haulmark V-nose with the dual doors. I'm working on it to make it kind of self-sufficient as some sites don't have a lot of anything. I do have a small port-a-potty that I can throw in if I need it as there's no place to go at the Flint record trials site. Some others wisened up and brought some along.

Mostly I put in a marine deep-cycle battery with 2 power inverters so I can run AC or DC power. I've also thrown in a Harbor Freight 800 watt generator for additional power, hard to pass up for $90.00.

Load braces hold the canopy, tables and chairs in the nose but I need to rethink it as that's usually the first things that should be unloaded. Boats, fuel and cooler on the right, toolboxes on the left. Plastic shelving for the boats but looking for something better that won't cost a small fortune. Just about everything can come out fairly quickly just in case I need the trailer for something else that won't fit in the truck or SUV.

Kind of off-topic by a hair but has anyone installed a camera on the back of their trailer? I've thought about this as in the rear-view mirror all I see is black. I like to be able to see behind me on the road and it might come in handy for backing up.

An alarm is a very good idea. Maybe a couple of stickers on the doors that say "Center for Disease Control Mobile Lab:" might work also.

Back