ML Boatworks KL350 Kneeler Hydroplane---Build starts Post #50, Videos Post #96

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, finding pics of the 52" kneeler was easier than I thought! They were on my photobucket! Enjoy the rediculous size! haha. Funny thing was, I think I built that hull for the guy for like $320...I probably made about $5 on the build!

IMGP0277Large.jpg

IMGP0276Large.jpg

IMGP0274Large.jpg

IMGP0262Large.jpg

Thats a VS-1 on top!

IMGP0148Large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As you can see, the bulk of the work is now done. I have to put the basswood stick insets, and lightening holes in the sponsons, but its close! I think it looks pretty cool! Mike

KL35-ANGLE.jpg

KL35-BACK.jpg

KL35-BOTTOMl.jpg

KL35-SIDE.jpg

KL35-TOP.jpg

i think that's the VS1 i just bought from Pete, complete with OS lower and UL1

Yeah, I saw he had it for sale. I am pretty sure it is! Sold that like 3 years ago! Glad to see it still in one piece!

Yes it’s still in very good shape, cowl and boat. I bought one of your 295’s last year but you got busy and it fell threw. Sometime I may order one of the new 300’s

Yeah, I had to return money to about 10 people as I was so far behind from getting my day job back. You would like the new 300 much better anyways.....

If anyone has a source for a thin, bendable lexan, I would love to hear about it. I will offer the kit with a ply template for the proper fitment of the front windshield area, and will offer the lexan too if I can find a source. Mike

If its thick enough , and large enough , 2 liter soda bottles . Or check with the manufatures of the bottles for raw material

The diameter would need to work around the 5" mark as that is the engine well width, so that might be viable!

Good news is, I just sent off the first KL350 kit order. It is going to a friend and he is going to build it and test it asap. I will also trail along and get one myself as I aquired a brand new OS outboard...yes, nitro! Can you believe me with a nitro motor! Kinda scary. None the less, I will probably order my personal kit after March 1st as my laser guy is low on wood and is using my personal stash till the end of the month, and I do not want to run out of ply for customers kit orders. The kit is going to be really nice and will included all interior frames, basswood sticks, exterior sheeting, and custom radio box kit!

I loved to drive my JD kneeler. It was an awesome boat. I'll all for a kneeler Mike!!!!

TL

I believe it may not just be the turn fin. My thoughts are packing too much air under the rear of the sponsons in the corner, thus causing the spin out.

TL

Sorry for the delay in building one of these myself. I have been busy with customers builds and just have not had the time. I am hoping Dick will ge his built soon to test, but i know he is wrapped up with other builds too! Mike

With a full size kneeler the turn fin only touches the water in the corners. A driver must move forward in the cockpit to get the sponson down so that the fin can do its job cornering. In our rc boats the turn fin is always in the water.

Pic is of me racing in D Stock Hydro.

Waterf08dshIMG_6230.jpg

With a full size kneeler the turn fin only touches the water in the corners. A driver must move forward in the cockpit to get the sponson down so that the fin can do its job cornering. In our rc boats the turn fin is always in the water.

Pic is of me racing in D Stock Hydro.

View attachment 46011
My experience with the RC Kneelers regarding turn fins is the boat corners the best when the turn fin is positioned similar to an outboard rigger hydro like the Sundowner.

JD

Can't help but to post a pic of Mark Leyde's (lights)125cc Pro kneeler. He not only built this beauty out of a set of plans all by himself. But also machineed a lot of the motor!!! The boat went on to win a nationalrace ans lapping many in the heat to do so!

TL

0620091604.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't help but to post a pic of Mark Leyde's (lights)125cc Pro kneeler. He not only built this beauty out of a set of plans all by himself. But also machineed a lot of the motor!!! The boat went on to win a nationalrace ans lapping many in the heat to do so!

TL
That's a great looking 125cc Kneeler. I like the rear cowling.

JD

If anyone has a source for a thin, bendable lexan, I would love to hear about it. I will offer the kit with a ply template for the proper fitment of the front windshield area, and will offer the lexan too if I can find a source. Mike
Mike, I can help with the windshield. I have .030, .040, 060 lexan on the shelf. We could even look at forming them if you'd like

Paul, why did I not think of asking yo uabout doing that! Once I get a kit, and get it built, I will make a plug for that area and send it out to you. A premolded lexan windshield would be the ticket!!! BTW, your kit shipped the other day! Talk soon ,Mike

TL
That's a great looking 125cc Kneeler. I like the rear cowling.

JD
Thanks JD. That was a one up Mark made. Ok sorry for getting off the rc kneeler topic.

TL

Latest posts

Back