ML Boatworks "State of the Scale kits" address, New items and future plans

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
UPDATE ON NEW KITS AND MISC CHANGES:

1) 155, 8806, '88 Holset Madison kit is now finished in 1/8th scale. This kit has the strut pulpit and the tapered non trips that the 176, 8806 did not have after the redesign of the fullsize hull. This i really nice kit and makes an awesome boat!

2) The 135-A, 8025 '80 Pak Turbine kit has been redone with center section changes, sponsons and non trips cleaned up, toy tabs added.

3) The 123, 7701 '77 Atlas Van Lines "Munceys Last Ride" has been updated with sponson corrections and center section changes.

4) I have been going threw all my 1/8th scale kits to update them to my most updated design criteria, and I am happy to say, that all of my current 1/8th scale kits besides the 110, 6925, 'Pay N' Pak Outrigger and the 166, 9601, T5 Bud kits (T5 IS NOW UPDATED!) have been updated as far as I plan to take them. I will finish the 166 T5 update soon, and be doing a FULL redesign of the 110 Pak Outrigger in the coming months. Some of the 1/10th scale and GAS scale kits that need change to match the 1/8th scale changes that were made. Those will also be done soon. I also have about 10-15 more plan sets to add to the collection. I will be working on those in the very near future (next 2-3 months)

5) I also have various 1/5th, 1/6th and 1/7th scale kits that I will be adding to the website soon. They are completed kits that were special ordered, so I might as well offer them.

6) The Lauterbach GP series hull should be ready as a frame kit soon. I am nearing the end of a 60+ hour design. This kit will eventually have full sheeting, and I am going to make a cowling to fit. This kit will also be changed to work as the Unlimited class Lauterbach hull once a transom narrowing change is made.

7) Lastly, I am proud to announce a few specialty kits I am calling the "Extreme Series" kits. These are kits that I have designed like my GP sport hydro kits...3 piece design (sponsons/ non trips build separate from center section on flat board), these kits incorporate mostly 1/16" material for lighter weight, an integrated center section with toy tabbed crossmembers that lock into the floor, front nosing area has been shaped and fitted to match RC Boat Companys cowlings perfectly, and an integrated front canard wing with grenade pin style locking plate that mounts inside the engine well where canard slides through. I have a LOT of hours in these few kits and they show it. Over the next month, I will be building the 158, '8401 with jones sponsons ('93 Circus backup/ '94 Exide conventional deck hull), a friend will be building the 171, 9516 '99 Elam, both in 1/8th scale. Those two kits are designed, and ready. I am currently also working on the 1/8th scale 150, 8710, '89 Winston Eagle conventional, Cellular one, etc. kit and will be building that hull for myself. These kits will probably turn some heads as they should be incredibly light, and strong, and the cowl to hull fitment out of the box should be wonderfull. I will post a jpg image of the '93 Circus/'94 Exide 8401 kit soon.

NOTE: I also want to add the website has been updated as well, with the kit list updated, and pictures added!

I think that concludes the updates for now. Expect more kits very shortly! Thanks for reading! Mike, ML Boatworks, www.ml-boatworks.com

UPDATE: Here is a list of plans I have that still need to be drawn up or I have already started. These are the last of the plans I currently have.

1) 104- '66 Bardahl cabover

2) 113- 62-65 Bardahl

3) 115- '50 Slo Mo Shun

4) 118- '76 Such Crust

5) 125- '76 Verners, '77-78 Squire Shop hulls- This kit is started, minor changes are still needed

6) 129- '70 Atlas Van lines, etc.

7) 131- '55 Hawaii Kai

8) 133- '78 Tempus

9) 134- '80 Circus Canard

10) 148- '86 Bud Turbine 1- This kit is almost complete

11) 150- '89 Winston Eagle, Cellular One- This kit is about 70%. This will be an "Extreme series" hull only

12) 153- '88 Miss Crab Legs

13) 167- Lauterbach Special. This kit is about 80%, it is my own design, and I hope to offer sheeting and a cowling for this. It will ultimately be available as the Wide transome GP, and Unlimited

14) '88 Strohs Light- I have templates, and have gathered enough info to make this happen as no plans are available from Newton Marine.

If anyone has plans that are not what I currently have in the 1/8th scale section on my website, or in the list above, and would like to offer them for me to scan in, and return, please just let me know. David and I would appreciate that. As I get plans scanned in (and when I get time!), I try to send David Newton a disk of all the sets of his plans I have in pdf form so he has a backup of his paper plans as right now he has no backup. The digital copy will hopefully last as long as we are on this Earth!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Corey. I have been down a little lately from a few and thought maybe it was time to give it up.. but I love these boats to much to do such a thing. I just want people excited about building, and to continue to see the scale part of the hobby to grow outside of the current "hotspots". North Carolina, where I live, has almost no boaters, let alone scale boaters. I want to see that change so I have someone I can run scales with!

Just out of curiosity, did you incorporate the rear picklefork into the 176? Can you also clarify what a "strut pulpit" is as that is a term I've never heard used by anyone working on the full sized boats

Mark Lee, Here is a picture of the pulpit, and the inset transom. I would call it an inset transom instead of rear pickles as the transom is what was moved in 1990 closer to the back of the hull. They did not shorten the non trips to make them end closer to the existing transom.These changes are ease to see when you review the Newton 155 plans to the 176 plans, both of the 8806 hulls. I have both versions now in kit form. Have a wonderful day, Mike

http://newtonmarine.smugmug.com/Hydroplanes/1988/11501022_ZVWDh4#!i=2083855310&k=xvJhcXQ

Also, I added a list of plan sheets I have that I plan to draw up at the end of my first post. mIke

I used the term "picklefork" intensionally due to the additional 14" of added length and the picklefork configuration created when the shoes were installed. By the time all was said and done, the boat had a 22" picklefork depth from the now flat transom to the furthest aft part of the shoes. This is 1" deeper than the picklefork depth listed in the MHR for both the 7171 Atlas and 7206 Madison hulls.

I used the term "picklefork" intensionally due to the additional 14" of added length and the picklefork configuration created when the shoes were installed. By the time all was said and done, the boat had a 22" picklefork depth from the now flat transom to the furthest aft part of the shoes. This is 1" deeper than the picklefork depth listed in the MHR for both the 7171 Atlas and 7206 Madison hulls.
It's not called a picklefork when it's at the rear of the boat, it's a recessed transom regardless of how deep it is. You used the term "picklefork" by your choice yet you give Mike a hard time about using the word pulpit only because you haven't heard it used. Really?? Curious, are you ever going to offer anything constructive to any thread that Mr. Luszcz posts? It's getting really old Mark and I'm not the only one who feels this way as I recieved a couple e-mails from members bringing this thread to my attention. Mike has brought so much to the table for scales and has people building again, enough of the nitpicking comments from you. If you can't offer anything positive and constructive to these threads then I suggest you refrain from posting on them.

It's not called a picklefork when it's at the rear of the boat, it's a recessed transom regardless of how deep it is. You used the term "picklefork" by your choice yet you give Mike a hard time about using the word pulpit only because you haven't heard it used. Really?? Curious, are you ever going to offer anything constructive to any thread that Mr. Luszcz posts? It's getting really old Mark and I'm not the only one who feels this way as I recieved a couple e-mails from members bringing this thread to my attention. Mike has brought so much to the table for scales and has people building again, enough of the nitpicking comments from you. If you can't offer anything positive and constructive to these threads then I suggest you refrain from posting on them.
Don - Thanks for saying what a lot of have been thinking.

Mike- all of your long hours of work and dedication are truly appreciated! I've been very happy with all the kits i have received from you. I like the sound of the "extreme series kits" Thanks again Mike for all that you have done to help the sport of model boating. Fred

Thank you Don, Marty and Fred. I think Mark is just passionate about hydroplanes and maybe it doesn't come across correctly. I know he is not fond of me, never has been, I accept that and move on. No biggie.

Fred, here are some pics of the 171 Elam "Extreme series" build. Its a full 3 piece design so it can be built separately on a flat board, toy tabbed floor pan with shaped nose bottom, integrated canard framework, sponson ride pads are a little narrower than my normal kits with a 3.5 degree angle of attack, and you will notice the bend frame near the front to help with the recovery pad shape which I am sure you are familiar with. As I was saying in the first post, this kit, and the 8401/8700 kits will be the only ones with this sponson setup, however the 8710 will utilize the 3 piece design and simplified sponson design. Mike

Another thing I might as well share is attached below. Don Ferrette, with the help of a guy on JRCBD named Joe Steiman (F4Joe with the large scale Winston Eagle), tracked down a 1/6th scale U-10 cowling..not gas scale but 1/6th scale (bigger). He purchased this, then had it sent to me for modification, and kit fitment to the 8700 gas frame kit. When it first arrived, it was about 5" longer than it is now, had a needle point front end, and back end that progressively got wider and wider. I had to cut off the front, and an area in the middle, then cut a wedge out of the turbine cover to get it a consistent width from the cockpit back, widen each side of the cockpit about 1/2" and reshape the nose. After all that was done, this is the plug I was left with. I am going to, over the next week or so, split the cowl in half length wise, and make a left and right mold. I don't have the ability to do a fancy one piece mold. I will update everyone further as this progresses and I hope for success as the 8700 Joes/ Winston hull will probably be a great addition, along with the Emcor, York, Hoss, etc. to the gas class! Enjoy for now, Mike

2012-12-08_11-41-11_196Large.jpg

2012-12-08_11-41-20_343Large.jpg

DSCF3569.jpg

DSCF3571.jpg

DSCF3570.jpg

DSCF3568.jpg

Thank you Don, Marty and Fred. I think Mark is just passionate about hydroplanes and maybe it doesn't come across correctly. I know he is not fond of me, never has been, I accept that and move on. No biggie.

Fred, here are some pics of the 171 Elam "Extreme series" build. Its a full 3 piece design so it can be built separately on a flat board, toy tabbed floor pan with shaped nose bottom, integrated canard framework, sponson ride pads are a little narrower than my normal kits with a 3.5 degree angle of attack, and you will notice the bend frame near the front to help with the recovery pad shape which I am sure you are familiar with. As I was saying in the first post, this kit, and the 8401/8700 kits will be the only ones with this sponson setup, however the 8710 will utilize the 3 piece design and simplified sponson design. Mike
Hmmmmm, that shop looks a little familar, LOL! I got a little more work done last night on the Elam installing the interior electronics box bulkheads, she's going to be FE powered-

Back