First Gas Boat Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never broke a Starter rope in my Gas Boating, if it doesn't prime and Pop with in the first 2-4 pulls you have some else going on wrong with your engine. If it's a used engine and your not sure I would for sure put a new ring in it and inspect the cylinder wall for scrapes and scoring before I even tried to start it. That's just me though. Check the spark and then move on to the fuel side .

no sold mount with engine.... should have kept it.... ill never find another like it. I will likely need to drill new holes
default_sad.png

Do you want to send me the tub so I can fab you a new mount or would you rather do it yourself? Either way I have an engine/pipe for you, and it can be started with the pull or a belt.

I think that Andy Brown was the only person who makes/made a 4" mount for gas engines otherwise you have to do away with the isolators.

Let us know what you need, I've got a lot of spare parts laying around that's yours, just say the word and they're on the way. Props, drive dogs, flex cable collets, headers, water and gas lines, IV bags, etc.

Make up a grocery list and I'll see what I can do for you.

When you do get a new motor make sure you don't have the idle turned all the way down or they will not start. Even if idle is set to low they don't like to start.

With any cold gas two stroke you should choke it good first and almost induce a slightly flooded condition then hold it wide open and start it. It needs a good bath first to insure there is no dry starts then give it all the air you can to get the thing to dry out and fire right up.

OK so i've tried Gas boats..... But I keep breaking the starting rope. I broke so many I gave up. I tried the ez start thing.... short fast pulls.... still break them. I gave up and sold the motor. I still have the rigger.....

Any suggestions?

I need a new engine.... that's easy to start!

Anyone have an engine cheap that I could get?
Tom,

It should never take 50 pulls to start any gas engine or there is a problem. The two most common things I see that cause a engine to become hard to start is one being flooded and two water in the engine.

I see it all the time at races where guys will put there finger over the carb and give the engine a couple hard pulls. That is about the worst thing you can do as it floods the engine with fuel and makes them just about impossible to start. If you see someone do this make sure they hold the carb wide open until it starts. Most of the time they will do this and when it does not start they do it again and the problem just keeps getting worse. The correct way to easily start a engine is to place your finger over the carb and slowly pull the engine over through one or two slow bumps and check your finger for fuel. Once you see fuel on your finger it should start within one or two pulls. If it does not start within 5 or 6 pulls you can repeat the process. If it still does not start you should remove the plug check for water or other problems.

Water is the next major problem for causing hard starts especially with rigger style boats that tend to get a lot of water in the carbs. Most of the time the engine will have water in it and guys will not even know it. They keep pulling on the rope, choking the carb and making the problem worse until the rope finally breaks from trying to compress all the water and fuel in the cylinder too many times. If the engine feels hard to pull over then more then likely it has water in it and needs to have the plug removed then turned upside down and pulled over to remove the water.

Once you learn how to start one of these engines they are quite easy, the days of breaking ropes on pullstarts will be over. If you were breaking ropes on EZ starts then I think it would be safe to say you were getting water in the engine. Next time you have any problems get in touch with me and I will help guide you through any problems you may have.

Buy a Butch motor. It wont take 50 pulls to start.
Dale,

I thought we were past these kind of comments, but I guess not.

Carlo

i wasnt trying to blame the motor..... I was saying i know that it should start cause it was a ccracing engine.

Tom I have an engine for ya. do you have a good pipe? what mount is boat set up with? do you want to use a belt start? do you have 24v starter? Give me a few answers and I'll get it set up right for you and send it on. Once you get it in the boat we'll get on the phone and I'll give you some instruction.

mb
i dont want to use a belt start. no 24v starter for me.

I like to accept your offer. can you do it for 50-75 bucks? I dont need a good engine. just one that will start..... dont care if I have the 30mph rigger. I just need experience.

Always the same with any engine. A properly tuned engine with compression should start right up within a few revolutions.

Tom I have an engine for ya. do you have a good pipe? what mount is boat set up with? do you want to use a belt start? do you have 24v starter? Give me a few answers and I'll get it set up right for you and send it on. Once you get it in the boat we'll get on the phone and I'll give you some instruction.

mb
i dont want to use a belt start. no 24v starter for me.

I like to accept your offer. can you do it for 50-75 bucks? I dont need a good engine. just one that will start..... dont care if I have the 30mph rigger. I just need experience.
Yes we can make that work, do you want me to make a mount and put it in the tub? I really just want you to be able to run the boat . Good advice from Carlo read that a couple times and think about it, that's the way it's done.

I need anything that will be 4inches. I can make new holes. I can figure it out I think.

The reason I want to fit it to the hull is so you can use the same holes as before and so you can crank it and run it shortly, or I'll just send you the pieces, you make the call.

Its an awesome offer. But im honestly scared of the thought of trying to ship it.

Back