help with my engine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Gilles

so pretty new to gas boats. I have a 26cc that wont run when hot. if you can get it to fire off it dies immediately. even then has to be choked a ton. once cooled back down fires right up and runs through a whole 500ml bag. some back story its a used engine I blew it up a month ago running it onto the shore when the radio box switch glitched. New top end installed, fresh carb, fresh diaphragm, no leaks in the bottom end and cases torqued. tried a 2nd carb, same issue. carb isolator not blocked or upside down gaskets used and could be replaced but seem adequate. all fresh seals on the exhaust. fresh gas, I put the last batch on the shelf and got brand new gas to start over with. fresh plug NGK CR7H. tried 2 different pickups.

coil? it also kind hunts at idle revving high for a bit then low again. worse when hot. needle settings Ive tried are L- 1.5 out to 2.5 out, generally 2-1/8 out. H needle 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 out. WT257 carb....again new diaphragms and cleaned out screen, rebuild kit. runs fine on the water, just wont start after a run. has to cool all the way down.

You may have a crack or warped isolator block. start your engine spray brake cleaner on the isolator block. If it is bad you will hear it. you might want to spray the crankcase seals with it running as well.

Kevin

Definitely an air leak from your description, more than likely the isolator block is warped.
Try block sanding and new gaskets.

Dave try what I said in my earlier post. You will find the air leak. It will save you from chasing your tail.

Kevin

These motors can be a bear to refire hot or flooded..... that being said a 257 generally likes 2 L 1 H on carb settings

Back