CHARLESTON 2005 ALL TUNNEL Championship

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaxracer

If you have not noticed there is going to be a B Tunnel shotout at the nats this year in Jackson. It is one of the biggest classes if not the biggest. All the big names will be there.... We are ready for it............. Lite the fires and kick the tires...... :p

Tim

Precision Boats said:
Jaxracer
If you have not noticed there is going to be a B Tunnel shootout at the nats this year in Jackson. It is one of the biggest classes if not the biggest. All the big names will be there.... We are ready for it............. Lite the fires and kick the tires...... :p

Tim

105770[/snapback]

Yeah I know. Entry #53, running B stock and mod. I'm coming for Mr. Talley in that stock boat ;) . I'm ready too. See you there... :p .

~Mitch Jr.

Jaxracer-Thanks for the compliments and the invite, but I am no longer able to race because of some health problems and I am losing my eyesight to Diabetes. I try to keep up with what is going on by watching threads like this one and sometimes I go to the races and time trials at Huntsville AL. which are only an hour away. An ex-racer does not make a very good spectator because when I go to a race the first thing I want to do is grab a transmitter and run the first heat but then I realize I can"t even see the boats on the back straightaway. But, life goes on and you take what you have and deal with it. Enjoy life and RACE HARD!!!

The first trophy I ever won in IMPBA racing was in Huntsville at the 1988 Southeastern Tunnel Regatta organized by Tommy Lee. Second place 20 Tunnel Modified. I ran a Leecraft with a K&B 21 (Equi pipe) etc, etc. We ran a tear drop race course that was a great scale concept similar to the real thing. The left side was a very wide right hand turn with six or seven bouys (full speed no throttling) coming out of the front stretch, then shooting into the back stretch. Going wide open through the back stretch, into the course right side turn were you had to slow down into a very tight right turn were you had to hook your boat right and shoot into the front stretch were you had to accelerate as fast as you could out of the turn. Some of the most notable racers that attended that race, if I remember correctly were, Bob Davis, Joe Ingrao, Terry Moore and Gene Taylor running Equi's DNE Reseach Tunnel. If my memory serves me correct Carl and Joey were there also, maybe Mark too. Perhaps you guys in Charleston should consider a tunnel scale course like that.

JOSE ORTIZ IMPBA 11755

Last edited by a moderator:
Piston1 said:
The first trophy I ever won in IMPBA racing was in Huntsville at the 1988 Southeastern Tunnel Regatta organized by Tommy Lee.  Second place 20 Tunnel Modified.  I ran a Leecraft with a K&B 21 (Equi pipe) etc, etc.  We ran a tear drop race course that was a great scale concept similar to the real thing.  The left side was a very wide right hand turn with six or seven bouys (full speed no throttling) coming out of the front stretch, then shooting into the back stretch.  Going wide open through the back stretch, into the course right side turn were you had to slow down into a very tight right turn were you had to hook your boat right and shoot into the front stretch were you had to accelerate as fast as you could out of the turn.  Some of the most notable racers that attended that race, if I remember correctly were, Bob Davis, Joe Ingrao, Terry Moore and Gene Taylor running Equi's DNE Reseach Tunnel.  If my memory serves me correct Carl and Joey were there also, maybe Mark too.  Perhaps you guys in Charleston should consider a tunnel scale course like that.JOSE ORTIZ IMPBA 11755

106106[/snapback]

Jose,

A real neat idea. We just put the finishing touches on the flyer and it is ready to publish. Will try and plot it out and see if we can do it at this late stage.

Any chance you coming? I saw a tunnel on your table in your photos. Bring your little buddy with you. Everyone has got over 2.5 months to prepare.

John

John,

I think it'd be a good idea to adopt this course and make another adjustment to the flyer.

Jose/Tommy, Do you have or recall the radius turns that were used on each end?

With all the heads coming together on this event don't miss it if you're a tunnel racer! If you're not a tunnel racer and you're within driving distance this is going to be fun to watch!

-Bobby

John Knight said:
Piston1 said:
The first trophy I ever won in IMPBA racing was in Huntsville at the 1988 Southeastern Tunnel Regatta organized by Tommy Lee.  Second place 20 Tunnel Modified.  I ran a Leecraft with a K&B 21 (Equi pipe) etc, etc.  We ran a tear drop race course that was a great scale concept similar to the real thing.  The left side was a very wide right hand turn with six or seven bouys (full speed no throttling) coming out of the front stretch, then shooting into the back stretch.  Going wide open through the back stretch, into the course right side turn were you had to slow down into a very tight right turn were you had to hook your boat right and shoot into the front stretch were you had to accelerate as fast as you could out of the turn.  Some of the most notable racers that attended that race, if I remember correctly were, Bob Davis, Joe Ingrao, Terry Moore and Gene Taylor running Equi's DNE Reseach Tunnel.  If my memory serves me correct Carl and Joey were there also, maybe Mark too.  Perhaps you guys in Charleston should consider a tunnel scale course like that.JOSE ORTIZ IMPBA 11755

106106[/snapback]

Jose,

A real neat idea. We just put the finishing touches on the flyer and it is ready to publish. Will try and plot it out and see if we can do it at this late stage.

Any chance you coming? I saw a tunnel on your table in your photos. Bring your little buddy with you. Everyone has got over 2.5 months to prepare.

John

106119[/snapback]

John, at this time I have no tunnel hull boats anymore, but I will be looking into racing at Charlston in the future.

Bobby, all I remember is that the left side had 6 or 7 buoys. Enough to go full speed through it with full straightaway speed. Maybe Tommy can provide more details.

JOSE

BOBBYH said:
John,    I think it'd be a good idea to adopt this course and make another adjustment to the flyer.

With all the heads coming together on this event don't miss it if you're a tunnel racer! If you're not a tunnel racer and you're within driving distance this is going to be fun to watch!

-Bobby

John Knight said:
Piston1 said:

106106[/snapback]

Jose,

John

106119[/snapback]

106121[/snapback]

I'll talk with the guys today. It would seem that this would be a separate class. What is it called and what hulls would qualify to run? Open perhaps? I can only imagine how many more buoys we would destroy. It was 7 at our last race!

Jose, you will always be welcome with us/me.

John Knight said:
I'll talk with the guys today.  It would seem that this would be a separate class.  What is it called and what hulls would qualify to run?  Open perhaps?  I can only imagine how many more buoys we would destroy.  It was 7 at our last race!

106186[/snapback]

7 @ the last race? If you back Pop Huff out of the equation how many would it have been? :D He is ROUGH on buoys...

Later,

Lamar

John Knight said:
BOBBYH said:
John,    I think it'd be a good idea to adopt this course and make another adjustment to the flyer.

-Bobby

John Knight said:
Piston1 said:

106106[/snapback]

Jose,

John

106119[/snapback]

106121[/snapback]

I'll talk with the guys today. It would seem that this would be a separate class. What is it called and what hulls would qualify to run? Open perhaps? I can only imagine how many more buoys we would destroy. It was 7 at our last race!

106186[/snapback]

Maybe it could be considered a "skill" race because of the awkward shape in the course so the driver would need to readjust their driving style. Just an idea.

~Mitch Jr.

If we call it a "skill" race, none of the Atwells could enter due to the lack of the prerequisite (skill...)...

~James :blink:

Lamar_Huff said:
John Knight said:
I'll talk with the guys today.  It would seem that this would be a separate class.  What is it called and what hulls would qualify to run?  Open perhaps?  I can only imagine how many more buoys we would destroy.  It was 7 at our last race!

106186[/snapback]

7 @ the last race? If you back Pop Huff out of the equation how many would it have been? :D He is ROUGH on buoys...

Later,

Lamar

106194[/snapback]

Several fewer losses that is for sure. He did his share. That number of 7 included those having to be replaced. It does not include the number of hits and picking up the floating debris when they were not totally destroyed. 3 others had big chunks taken out of them.

But I'll give great credit to the majority of racers for one accomplishment. I call a tight line at the start of the race as a CD. I had to only call 2 heats with boat(s) over at the start. One of those over were among the 3 yellow gas monos running. Wonder who they are? Gabe had very few himself as well. The racers were on at the start exceptionally well all weekend.

topfuel443 said:
If we call it a "skill" race, none of the Atwells could enter due to the lack of the prerequisite (skill...)...
~James  :blink:

106209[/snapback]

Why stop with just throwing a grenade? Lob a 16" shell instead. Get ready for more smack talk. Waiting for the nuke shot now. I can only imagine what the internats will be like with all of them there at the same time. They could sell tickets. Are we having fun yet???

I have to say that Bobby Halliday has got to be the best person at hitting the start by far. He was dead on EVERY time.

Yes the internats will be fun!! We got a heck of a deal on Priceline.com A 3 star/3 diamond hotel with fridge and microwave for 33 bucks a night. Im still pattin myself on the back for that one....

:D

~James

topfuel443 said:
I have to say that Bobby Halliday has got to be the best person at hitting the start by far. He was dead on EVERY time.
Yes the internats will be fun!! We got a heck of a deal on Priceline.com A 3 star/3 diamond hotel with fridge and microwave for 33 bucks a night. Im still pattin myself on the back for that one....

~James

106235[/snapback]

Ryan told me that Bobby was commenting (complaining???) that Ryan was constantly on his butt at the starts. He was feeling the heat from that little red Seaducer!

topfuel443 said:
~James  :blink:

106209[/snapback]

Hey James, you realize that it isn't smart to walk in front of a loaded gun ;) .

~Mitch Jr. :D

What???

Did you forget who I am in the past couple weeks?

Loaded guns dont scare me, its the people pointing them at me that im worried about. (i.e., anyone whos name starts with "A" and ends in "twell")

Id personally like to thank all of the Atwell family for entering so many "filler" boats at the internats, itll be just like racing at home, dodging all of the dead wood. DOH!!

Thats all for now, im tired and my smack talking abilities are kinda lacking, let me sleep on it tonight and it will a whole new ballgame tommorow..

~James

hum ????? a a mybe double loaded gun (allen amick) o well i tried!!!i am not much of a racer anyway!!

allen

topfuel443 said:
What???
Did you forget who I am in the past couple weeks?

Loaded guns dont scare me, its the people pointing them at me that im worried about. (i.e., anyone whos name starts with "A" and ends in "twell")

Id personally like to thank all of the Atwell family for entering so many "filler" boats at the internats, itll be just like racing at home, dodging all of the dead wood. DOH!!

Thats all for now, im tired and my smack talking abilities are kinda lacking, let me sleep on it tonight and it will a whole new ballgame tommorow..

~James

106318[/snapback]

Hey James, Gabe, topfuel443, Ovaryexpress, whatever you wanna be called, my dad said that he's gonna keep the gloves on until after the Nats or else it'll be a very long week. So I'll be quite for now :rolleyes: , but I just want to say thanks ahead of time for staying out of my way and being a good simaritan by making sure that no one will finish last in your class except those who are used to it, and/or have an Ovalexpress sticker on their boat :D .

~Mitch Jr. :ph34r:

Your Dad would say something girly like that, who fights with gloves on anyhow? I bet he has PINK gloves to match his PINK Hydro huh? I bet he gets his little sister, Tonya, to brush that long pretty hair of his while they are outside working on those pink boats too, doesnt he? :D

:ph34r:

Hey Junior, you ever wonder why your dads Garage doors lock from the INSIDE only? Your Dad & Aunt Tonya spend alot of time out there dont they? Hmmmm, brings a whole new meaning to phrase "brotherly love"....

when are you gonna teach that old man to type for himself anyhow? I guess I shouldve asked before, but, he can read right? knows how spell somewhat too? tell him when you touch the keys with the little letters on them, they make words, and when you do it alot it makes sentences..... better take it slow though, wouldnt want him to get overwhelmed before i smoke him at the nats, wouldnt want to give him any excuses...

BOOOOOOYAAAAAAA

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

~James "Smack talk who?" Clegg

P.S. I did like the Ovaryexpress one though, who came up with that one, you or your dad? that was a good one.... Im gonna put Ovalexpress stickers all over his boats when he is not looking, thatll be even better....

Back