CHARLESTON 2005 ALL TUNNEL Championship

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Knight

The Charleston Model Boaters is pleased to announce the first (we think) all tunnel championship to be held at our lake in Walterboro, SC on Sep 24th & 25th. This race will be sanctioned through IMPBA as a speciality race. We plan on having several special competitions in additional to the usual classes. The classes offered will be as follows and must contain outboards only:

Novice (12 years and younger, B or D tunnels only)

B tunnel

Sport B tunnel (per IMPBA rules)

D tunnel

Sport D tunnel (no tuned pipes, anything else goes)

E/F tunnel

Open tunnel

Open offshore (will run full offshore course, any size tunnel)

Open Endurance/Enduro (10 minute time period with one mandatory stop and restart from the pit area). Total laps combined among 2 heats (one Sat and one Sun) will win. Any size boat permitted.

We will also offer a unique event. It will be a DEMOLITION DERBY run as the last event on Saturday. The last one running will win and winner take all. Wash each other out, make them dump, cut them off, etc., (all that normally illegal stuff) will be permitted and actually legal. Not recommended to run others over but accidents can happen. No special hull modifications to incur damage to another boat will be permitted. The CMB club will make the final call on the hull structure. Any size boat permitted. Will run regular mill course and when the time expires the mayhem starts until the last one is running. No limit on the boats and could be 20-30 on the water at one time. List that class on the flyer as Demo Derby if you want to enter. A small $5.00 fee will apply for the derby entry.

Awards for the best looking boat (general concours format) and the best Dog Boat (ugliest - we will find you!) will also be given.

DEADLINE for registration will be Sep 17th and ADVANCE REGISTRATION WITH PAYMENT is required. The race flyer will be posted to this website and to the District 13 website this week. Do not delay with you entry and we may have to impose a boat limit to be determined at a later date.

It is our intention for this race to be held annually by CMB and to develop into a national tunnel championship. We actively solicit sponsorships from the tunnel hull builders, engine builders, pipe manufacturers, suppliers etc., to assist in putting on this shootout. I spoke with John Brown yesterday at our race and Competition Marine Designs will be a sponsor. Possibly a MAC OB engine will be provided as a raffle prize. He also will attend if at all possible. We hope Andy will also attend. Carl Van Houten, Lynx hull builder, has also committed to coming and is going to look at donating a hull or other items. The challenge is now laid out for all of you builders and manufacturers. Don't let the competition get a leg up on you.

James (Gabe) Clegg and Don Gilbert from CMB will attend the IMPBA internats and will taking race registrations and talking with all of the tunnel "Big Guns" about the race. If you have anything to contribute to the race and will be attending the 'nats get with them and save yourself shipping costs. We will gladly accept your kindness.

If you do not have a tunnel you may want to consider getting one now. The race is 3 months away. A forum for major bragging rights among the tunnels racers has now been provided. Let's have a bunch of fun!!

It is open to all tunnel racers that desire to come and race. Non-IMPBA racers can pay the one time $10.00 fee required by IMPBA. Please go to the IMPBA website and complete the registration form and send in with your registration. More information to follow.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
John Knight said:
The Charleston Model Boaters is pleased to announce the first (we think) all tunnel shootout championship to be held at our lake in Walterboro, SC on Sep 24th & 25th.  This race will be sanctioned through IMPBA as a speciality race.  We plan on having several special competitions in additional to the usual classes.  The classes offered will be as follows and must contain outboards only:
Novice (12 years and younger, B or D tunnels only)

B tunnel

Sport B tunnel (per IMPBA rules)

D tunnel

Sport D tunnel (no tuned pipes, anything else goes)

E/F tunnel

Open tunnel

Open offshore (will run full offshore course, any size tunnel)

Open Endurance/Enduro (10 minute time period with one mandatory stop and restart from the pit area).  Total laps combined among 2 heats (one Sat and one Sun) will win.  Any size boat permitted.

We will also offer a unique event.  It will be a DEMOLITION DERBY run as the last event on Saturday.  The last one running will win and winner take all.  Wash each other out, make them dump, cut them off, etc., (all that normally illegal stuff) will be permitted and actually legal.  Not recommended to run others over but accidents can happen.  No special hull modifications to incur damage to another boat will be permitted.  The CMB club will make the final call on the hull structure.  Any size boat permitted.  Will run regular mill course and when the time expires the mayhem starts until the last one is running.  No limit on the boats and could be 20-30 on the water at one time.  List that class on the flyer as Demo Derby if you want to enter.  A small $5.00 fee will apply for the derby entry.

Awards for the best looking boat (general concours format) and the best Dog Boat (ugliest - we will find you!) will also be given.

DEADLINE for registration will be Sep 17th and ADVANCE REGISTRATION WITH PAYMENT is required.  The race flyer will be posted to this website and to the District 13 website this week.  Do not delay with you entry and we may have to impose a boat limit to be determined at a later date.

It is our intention for this race to be held annually by CMB and to develop into a national tunnel championship.  We actively solicit sponsorships from the tunnel hull builders, engine builders, pipe manufacturers, suppliers etc., to assist in putting on this shootout.  I spoke with John Brown yesterday at our race and Competition Marine Designs will be a sponsor.  Possibly a MAC OB engine will be provided as a raffle prize.  He also will attend if at all possible.  We hope Andy will also attend.  Carl Van Houten, Lynx hull builder, has also committed to coming and is going to look at donating a hull or other items.  The challenge is now laid out for all of you builders and manufacturers.  Don't let the competition get a leg up on you.

James (Gabe) Clegg and Don Gilbert from CMB will attend the IMPBA internats and will taking race registrations and talking with all of the tunnel "Big Guns" about the race.  If you have anything to contribute to the race and will be attending the 'nats get with them and save yourself shipping costs.  We will gladly accept your kindness.

If you do not have a tunnel you may want to consider getting one now.  The race is 3 months away.  A forum for major bragging rights among the tunnels racers has now been provided.  Let's have a bunch of fun!!

It is open to all tunnel racers that desire to come and race.  Non-IMPBA racers can pay the one time $10.00 fee required by IMPBA.  Please go to the IMPBA website and complete the registration form and send in with your registration.  More information to follow.

John

103995[/snapback]

Fast Electric Tunnels?

Grim

Good call Mike!!! can you hep with different classes of FE tunnels...?

~James

Oops, we overlooked our Fast Electric racers. Pardon the slipup. We can certainly add them in. Will need help with the setup for the race. Current course is an 8 lap course so I don't know about the proper length. I hope that there will not be a significant difference but we can handle it.

topfuel443 said:
Good call Mike!!! can you hep with different classes of FE tunnels...?
~James

104028[/snapback]

From what i see im not finding any Outboard classes in the FE rules.. However there are Tunnel classes..

Let me see what i can do.

Grim

:blink: :blink: :blink:

What a way to promote the race. :p Calling all top guns for tunnels then a "Demo Derby" at the end of it all. Ok lets see my mod. tunnel cost about $1700.00 bucks and for $5.00 I can enter it in a demo derby :eek: . Is this a IMPBA sact. event? What are you guys growing and smoking? Maybe I am lost here,but I think IMPBA has enough insurance claims right now. I bet the POLICE show up for this one before it's over......... :eek: :eek:

:ph34r:

somebody go get my " Zanax" :)

:D Tim, if you want to enter your over priced mod race boat into the Demo Derby, then by all means, be my guest. We were thinking more along the lines of the 20 year old Dumas hotshot that most of us have in the back of our closets. Just a way to have some fun after a day of racing. It is already a sanctioned event with IMPBA. I think it would be pretty to cool to try and take each other out or run away from someone who is. It would not be wise to hit another boat as that would likely take both of you out. There again, we were thinking more along the lines of causing apponents boats to blow off or trip up. If a boat gets hit, then it gets hit, it happens all the time in normal races. I personally gaurantee that most anything that sinks to the bottom will be found, as the pond is crystal clear and about 2-4 feet deep. Jimmy Eddleman lost a Battery pack pack (it was black!) and we found it after the races were over in the first of the year.

We really hope that with all of the tunnel craze that has started up in the last couple years that this will be a premier event that will draw the best of the best of tunnel boat racers. We at C.M.B. stand strong when it comes to having a good time at the races, but at the same time you wont find a group of guys more dedicated and serious about racing than we are. When the clock stops, the BS stops.

We hope to get as much support as possible from Tunnel Mfr's like yourself to help PROMOTE tunnel boats and RC boats in general. We already have commitments from alot of great people in the industry and would welcome all others to join in.

Look for the race flyer in the next day or two for this event, it will be posted on this thread, along with a link to a website that it can be printed off of.

~Thanks for the interest :D , James Clegg

President, C.M.B.

Precision Boats said:
:blink:   :blink:   :blink: What a way to promote the race. :p   Calling all top guns for tunnels then a "Demo Derby" at the end of it all. Ok lets see my mod. tunnel cost about $1700.00 bucks and for $5.00 I can enter it in a demo derby  :eek: . Is this a IMPBA sact. event? What are you guys growing and smoking? Maybe I am lost here,but I think IMPBA has enough insurance claims right now. I bet the POLICE show up for this one before it's over......... :eek:   :eek:

:ph34r:

somebody go get my " Zanax"   :)

104073[/snapback]

Tim,

Think of it another way. Ever been to an auto race that has a demo derby in it? Are they first class vehicles that run in the competitive series? Not at all. They are the old clunkers that nearly become dispensable. Why not have the same manner with this derby? I run riggers only but if I entered this derby it would not be with my competition boats. It would be with an old clunker. I would not expect anyone to put their first line boat out in the water. I would never do it. That is the parallel we are using.

I can guarantee you, as the primary CD for the race, that if anyone becomes overly aggressive and starts taking out boats with a vengence by hitting them, they will be coming in immediately. No need for it. Wash them out, swamp them out, shower them with a roostertails, etc., will achieve the very same results. We will refine the rules with a possible outlawing of any intentional hits. That will be determined later and we welcome positive comments. The intent is to have fun with a energy release and very different derby at the end of the day. This is purely for entertainment and a hoot. Think outside the box. We are not going to intentionally sacrifice boats. If there is not enough interest then we will not do it. Rather simple really.

Maybe a poor choice of naming the exhibition. I'll take the heat for that one. How about a "Last Boat Running Derby" instead of a demo derby? Would that be more acceptable? However, I will advise all to realize that the potential exists for "rubbing" NASCAR style when trying to dump, swamp or wash down each other. The intentional stuff will end quickly I promise you.

John

Cool! Not going to see my HTB's in no "Demo Derby" but they will be in the heat races. I will make plans for this starting now. Glad to see the D Sport class offered too. Way to go guys. See ya there.

Mark

John Knight said:
The Charleston Model Boaters is pleased to announce the first (we think) all tunnel shootout championship.....................................................The classes offered will be as follows and must contain outboards only:

103995[/snapback]

Guess I won't be down in September after all.............. :(

Sorry Don :rolleyes:

You could always borrow or build a tunnel between now and then. ( I know, I know, fat chance.... I still have that rum left from Atlanta, theres some ambition to come down huh?)

~James

don f.,

come on get yourself a tunnel and come race with us. i like the idea of a tunnel shootout i can hardly wait!!! also i 've always wanted to run the offshore class but never offered for a tunnel.we going to have to put an extra bouy out at our pond to get ready for that i think its cool.james by the way i have already got the flier out to our local hobbyshop they may even come down to watch!

allen

Thanks for your help Allen!, see you soon.

~James

P.S. Ive run the offshore course at our pond a few times, it IS fun, the tunnels turn very well left or right for the most part.

~

topfuel443 said:
Sorry Don  :rolleyes:
You could always borrow or build a tunnel between now and then.  ( I know, I know, fat chance.... I still have that rum left from Atlanta, theres some ambition to come down huh?)

~James

104123[/snapback]

Dude, I still gotta get the Smokin' Joe's done. Besides you need to bring the rum up to Old Dominion for some off site partying. :)

Don Ferrette said:
topfuel443 said:
Sorry Don  :rolleyes:
You could always borrow or build a tunnel between now and then.  ( I know, I know, fat chance.... I still have that rum left from Atlanta, theres some ambition to come down huh?)

~James

104123[/snapback]

Dude, I still gotta get the Smokin' Joe's done. Besides you need to bring the rum up to Old Dominion for some off site partying. :)

104131[/snapback]

we will have to see about that, It may just happen!

~James

topfuel443 said:
:D         Tim, if you want to enter your over priced mod race boat into the Demo Derby, then by all means, be my guest. We were thinking more along the lines of the 20 year old Dumas hotshot that most of us have in the back of our closets. Just a way to have some fun after a day of racing. It is already a sanctioned event with IMPBA. I think it would be pretty to cool to try and take each other out or run away from someone who is. It would not be wise to hit another boat as that would likely take both of you out. There again, we were thinking more along the lines of causing apponents boats to blow off or trip up. If a boat gets hit, then it gets hit, it happens all the time in normal races. I personally gaurantee that most anything that sinks to the bottom will be found, as the pond is crystal clear and about 2-4 feet deep. Jimmy Eddleman lost a Battery pack pack (it was black!) and we found it after the races were over in the first of the year.
        We really hope that with all of the tunnel craze that has started up in the last couple years that this will be a premier event that will draw the best of the best of tunnel boat racers. We at C.M.B. stand strong when it comes to having a good time at the races, but at the same time you wont find a group of guys more dedicated and serious about racing than we are. When the clock stops, the BS stops.

We hope to get as much support as possible from Tunnel Mfr's like yourself to help PROMOTE tunnel boats and RC boats in general. We already have commitments from alot of great people in the industry and would welcome all others to join in.

Look for the race flyer in the next day or two for this event, it will be posted on this thread, along with a link to a website that it can be printed off of.

~Thanks for the interest  :D   , James Clegg

President, C.M.B.

104081[/snapback]

HEY THERE TOP FUEL, I WENT UPSTAIRS HERE IN THE SHOP AND LOW AND BEHOLD I FOUND A DUMAS HOT SHOT KIT ? DIDNT EVEN KNOW I HAD IT . HE HE WE WILL BE THERE . :p :p :p :p

i still have my old topspeed hull i guess i found a class for it the demo derby. i dont care if it sinks going to a cheap3.5 off of ebay for it.it can be used and abused!!!!

allen

OK.. this is ugly.. im not sure i can make it but maybe.

I have on my calender..

Minnesota 1/8 scale buggy points race. (weekend event)

CWMBC Pizza Party and race (our boat club)

And a buggy race in Thorp WI

Now to the calendar a boat race (not just any boat race but a tunnel boat race) in a far away land...

Im going to blow off the thorp race if i go to the MIN points race.. Im going to race the CWMBC race if i make the thorp race.. If i do the min points race i will be blowing off all others that weekend and vis-a-versa for the Tunnel race..

Hummm...

The tunnel race would take me a full day to (and another back) drive to or so.. the MN points race about 3 hours one way.. the Thorp race 45 mins and the CWMBC race about 15 minuets.

Hummm....

If i can make it to the Tunnel race i will see you there.. any other hearty buds of mine want to take a trip?

As OBD for the IMPBA i just might feel like i need to be at the Tunnel race...Becieds how much could it cost to ship a boat to James and fly out for the race... aha.. i could ship and fly.. the trip MIGHT be shorter but not sure... waiting for planes and the like is never quick.

Will i be broke from this summers racing.. yea that is always the case.. so that should have little to do with this race..

Grim

Back