Zoom .21 carb

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gooycheese

Chat Moderator
Hi All,

First off I would like to say I love the Zoom Carb.

Now I have an issue with the barrel of the zoom carb. For those that dont know the barrel is not metal. I am having issues with the barrel swelling to the point where i lose throttle control. I talked with Charles regarding this about 2 months ago, he mentioned that the after run may be cause the barrel to swell. He also suggested using like 600grit paper and bringing the barrel back to smooth moving ( I dont have a lathe or anything like that so ya gotta make it simple ....hence sandpaper). I was wondering if anyone else is having this issue, during this time of year I cant take time to have the carb sent in for repairs. I am taking the carb back apart today to fix the swelling again, what I dont get is the first two runs of testing this morning went fine then my carb wouldnt open all the way or close all the way..... thats time to pack it up and fix the problems in this case. I have never had a problem with barrel movement in any carb before, is there anyone willing to make a metal barrel for this carb if need be... or if someone has had this issue with the swelling what have you done to correct this issue?

Thank You,

Paul

Mine is a first production yr carb, I have used it all last yr with no issue and two times this yr had issues

It need a few thousands removed and it will be fine. Surely someone in Chicago land can do it in a few minutes.

Paul,

I have had no problems with mine so far. Flush yours out with WD-40 when flushing out the engine. Do not run after run oil through the needle or spray bar, I never do. See if that will help your case.

paul,

pull the barrel and chuck it up in your drill, use 600 grit wet&dry paper for a few seconds.

i had too do this in the middle of a race, no issues since :D

tim

i should give all the credit to deryl

Last edited by a moderator:
When talking with Charles he sorta made it sound like he had heard of this happening. He did mention both fixes like you all have ( the drill and sandpaper and the lathe ). I use wd40, spray straight into a wide open barrel and then put airtool oil in for after run ..... never spray stuff thru the needle or spraybar. And yes it isnt a really bad fix for sure, its rather easy. Problem is reliability in my case, i depend on running and finishing every heat. Like I said above this happens so fast that when it fails if I dont have tools i am done..... I do alot of racing via carpool sometimes I dont got room for extra tools. I am trying to run with almost nothing for tools now

Thanks for all the responses guys

Paul

Paul, like I responded to you when you contacted me about the carb sticking. Send me the carb Priority Mail (2 days), I will re-machine the barrel that night, and return it to you Priority Mail (2 days) and pay for shipping both ways. No racing missed.....No more problems.

Charles

Hi All,

First off I would like to say I love the Zoom Carb.

Now I have an issue with the barrel of the zoom carb. For those that dont know the barrel is not metal. I am having issues with the barrel swelling to the point where i lose throttle control. I talked with Charles regarding this about 2 months ago, he mentioned that the after run may be cause the barrel to swell. He also suggested using like 600grit paper and bringing the barrel back to smooth moving ( I dont have a lathe or anything like that so ya gotta make it simple ....hence sandpaper). I was wondering if anyone else is having this issue, during this time of year I cant take time to have the carb sent in for repairs. I am taking the carb back apart today to fix the swelling again, what I dont get is the first two runs of testing this morning went fine then my carb wouldnt open all the way or close all the way..... thats time to pack it up and fix the problems in this case. I have never had a problem with barrel movement in any carb before, is there anyone willing to make a metal barrel for this carb if need be... or if someone has had this issue with the swelling what have you done to correct this issue?

Thank You,

Paul

I bought one or those carbs and wouldn't bolt it on my motor because the barrel slopped around so bad I couldn't imagine it getting a seal. Besides, I'm not sure I'd feel real good about spending $100.00 plus for a .21 carb and having to sand the barrel myself. Not sure what engine you're running but there's several options for the Nova Rossi.

Ron

I mentioned more than once in the Zoom carb thread, that I stand behind my carbs and if anyone had, or thought that they had, a problem with one of my carbs that I would take care it.

There was a guy, do not remember his name, in Australia, that contacted me about a carb problem and then sent his carb to me. I repaired the carb, shipped it back to him and included a $10.00 bill to cover his shipping cost. Dealing thru the internet and Pay Pal, I did not think about them having a different currency. He told me later that his kids, having never seen Americian money, took it to school and was showing it off.

If I was not contacted then I could not fix the problem.

Charles

Charles really I would like to know what people are using for after run. I cant understand why I am having this problem. I fixed the carb yesterday and ran great today no problems. I personally think the carb is awesome, I wish i knew the correct way to after run the engine to make the carb happy. As far as Ron was mentioning "slop" I see Nothing but an awesome machined carb that I really like No "Slop" :)

Thank You Again,

Paul

i have to agree with charles on this one...he is a stand up guy and im sure if he was contacted he would have taken care of the issue...charles i thank you for the great services you provide sir....

im lovin my zoom carb...

ac

Charles really I would like to know what people are using for after run. I cant understand why I am having this problem. I fixed the carb yesterday and ran great today no problems. I personally think the carb is awesome, I wish i knew the correct way to after run the engine to make the carb happy. As far as Ron was mentioning "slop" I see Nothing but an awesome machined carb that I really like No "Slop" :)

Thank You Again,

Paul
Paul,the number of carb barrels that have a problem is so few that I have not been able to pinpoint exactly what in the afterrun oils that is causing the problem.

I machined blocks of the barrel material and put them in bottles of nitro, methanol and different fuels, letting them sit for months and remeasured without any measurable amount of swelling. I contacted the engineering department of where the material was manufactured and all that they could tell me was that it was "Probably" due to some of the aromatics in some of the afterrun oils.

I have found that after the barrel swells once and the barrel is re-machined to the correct clearance, you should not have any more problems. If you will ship me the carb tomorrow, I will take care of your problem and ship it promptly back to you Priority Mail with a refund for your shipping.

My mailing address is: Charles Perdue

18130 Hwy 125 South

Bolivar, Tn 38008

Charles

Thank You Again,

Paul

Paul,

My after run oil is comprised of:

60% HIGH quality ATF - no junk or cheap stuff. Get Pennzoil or Quaker State

30% Air tool oil

10% Duralube

It has worked for me for many years and does not affect the seals, o rings, etc., ever.

I mentioned more than once in the Zoom carb thread, that I stand behind my carbs and if anyone had, or thought that they had, a problem with one of my carbs that I would take care it.

There was a guy, do not remember his name, in Australia, that contacted me about a carb problem and then sent his carb to me. I repaired the carb, shipped it back to him and included a $10.00 bill to cover his shipping cost. Dealing thru the internet and Pay Pal, I did not think about them having a different currency. He told me later that his kids, having never seen Americian money, took it to school and was showing it off.

If I was not contacted then I could not fix the problem.

Charles
It was me who Charles sent the $10. When I sent the carb to Charles I expected to wait, but his service is first class and I was surprised how quickly it was returned to me. Charles stands behind his product 100% and I can't recommend him enough.

Latest posts

Back