Zipp CNC 1450

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The props are made on a 5 axis CNC. They are made from a billet of 7075 aluminum.

We have them made for us overseas. They are a full blade 1450 with very sharp blades.

Of course, they are perfect, as you would expect. Even on a magnetic balancer they are perfect.

We don't make very much on these props, as I don't think the market will bear a higher price.

As for the other comments, there are those that do, and there are those that say they will do.

Our mission was, and continues to be to bring in as many people to this hobby as possible, by offering inexpensive fun and fellowship to everyone.

Our goal is to put a model boat in the hands of every person that wants one.

Joe Petro

Proud Owner

Zippkits.com

Our mission was, and continues to be to bring in as many people to this hobby as possible, by offering inexpensive fun and fellowship to everyone.

Our goal is to put a model boat in the hands of every person that wants one.

Joe Petro

Proud Owner

Zippkits.com
So far so good!!!

Thank you sir!

D.

joe

is there a chance you could have them made in S/S ? or is that something you wouldn't want to mess with?

let me know i would be interested

chris

I will ask about it at our next conference. They are very open to new things.

I don't know what alloys they have available, but I would be interested in suggestions...

Joe

That is very cool Joe. Have you done a weight check vs the Octura 1450? What percent difference? I bet it really reduces rev up time. Any other sizes available?

BTW, I was sorry to hear you were not able to make it to the SAW's in Elizabeth City. I wanted to talk to you about one of your products being adapted to one of my products. Talk soon maybe? Mike Luszcz

Joe

the two alloys i know of are 314 and 316 s/s ( i am not up on my metal urgy )

or if you wanted to get fancy COBALT would hold up VERY well

if i can help at all let me know

chris

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no metallurgist, but I think it depends on the prop you're machining. 3XX series stainless are austenitic and have F.C.C. crystal structures, making them relatively ductile which is good because it allows the prop to be pitched and cupped, but it can't be heat treated. Chris, do you know what those alloys have been tried on and what the outcome was? It probably couldn't hurt to experiment with machining props out of a martensitic stainless alloy (416, 420, 420F/Se, 440F/Se). They are not as ductile and they will be stronger due to the higher %-carbon. The alloys with F or Se in them are easier to machine and the martensitic 4XXs would be heat treatable. Just an idea, don't know if those alloys have been tried before for CNC props, but it could be advantageous on bigger boats like a twin/X or C.

Joe,

I certainly don't want to hijack your thread on here.

I think what you have done for the hobby is GREAT.

You run your business the way it works for you, that

I understand. I have edited my posts, sorry for any

negative opinions that may have upset some of you

sensitive boaters.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

i agree with you mark.. on the other hand not to many people want to widdle out props for 30 bucks.. heck they barely want to cast them for that much lest alone machine them.

as for the s/s.. i havn't a clue.. i leave that up to the people with brain power.. i will take what i can get if it becomes available

chris

What exactly was the title of this thread? I don't think it was " Mark Sholund please bad mouth someone that happens to sell props" was it? Get over it dude. I don't like the way you do things, but I don't try to hijack your threads and offer negative opinions.

You know what they say about opinions...

Joe Petro

What exactly was the title of this thread? I don't think it was " Mark Sholund please bad mouth someone that happens to sell props" was it? Get over it dude. I don't like the way you do things, but I don't try to hijack your threads and offer negative opinions.

You know what they say about opinions...

Joe Petro
Well said I remember when Mark started doing props i wouldnt buy another one it was poor to say the least.If i was still running a 21 rigger i would buy a Zipkitt prop.

When you start taking punches and a guy like Joe that BTW has taken this hobby to new heights ,it's time to take a step back.

Just sayin,

Doug

No refrences to anything above other than 1450 cnc props. Cnc props are right and exact and once the proper material is found will be the way to go. Joe can you use the cnc to clean up copper props? Could you yourself spin a prop out of copper?

Last edited:
Guys,.. you two are some of the best contributors to the hobby in a long time. On Joe,.. I design my boats around his parts because they are god parts,. readily available priced right. If you ever have a problem with them he sends more free of charge. I run Marks props almost exculsivey. He has data to back up the props he sells.. and is willing to give advice all the time.. Heck,.. if you buy a prop from mark and it doen't work well,.. send it back and he'll tweak it for free and send it back.

You guys should be working together somehow.. lets get past this stuff,... ok?

Joe,

I said it before when Andy was doing CNC props: 17-4 SS is the way to go. It machines relatively easily (about like A-2 tool steel), without warping during roughing operations, and it stays stable in heat treat. It can be hardened to about 45 Rc and is tougher than bricks in this condition.

7075-T6 is for sure the material of choice for test purposes, but will not hold up in the long run, even on a 21 or maybe even a 12 boat. There are unbelieveable forces at work on the blades of our props as they enter and leave the surface of the water at a rate of nearly 500 times a second.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Tony is right.

Mark, I apologize for lashing out at you. It was wrong, especially on a public forum.

You are contributing to this hobby in a positive way and and should not have to apologize to me.

I am sure that the complications from my surgery have a hand in this. It sucks!

Again, I am sorry for saying what I did, and hope that we can put this far behind us.

Joe

Joe,

I understand that my opinions can be strong and I should not

Express them here in a public forum. I send you a lot of business

and I will still continue this practice. I think what you are doing for

this hobby is GREAT, keep up the good work.

Sincerely,

Mark Sholund

Latest posts

Back